• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Olympus .ORI RAW files

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to open .ORI Olympus RAW file in Camera RAW?

Renaming the .ORI ending to .ORF is messy, because the .ORF file is the high res Olympus RAW file (50 or 80 MP). Any way to set Camera RAW up so that it can process .ORI files?

Alfred

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Camera Raw must be updated periodically is to add support for new cameras and raw file formats. Theere is no process to enable the user to force Camera Raw to process a new file format. What camera model from Olympus takes raw files with an .ORI file extension? I just checked the published list of supported cameras from Adobe, and there isn't a single Olympics camera on that list that is listed as producing images with that extension.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Supportedcameramodels

Added later: In doing some additional research on the web, I have discovered that this is a high-resolution file format produced by some Olympus cameras. Other raw converter companies are considering adding support for the format as well. This is the first I have read anything about it because I don't really follow technology developments that closely, and I'm not an Olympus user. I'm also not associated at all with Adobe, and even if I was I would be under a nondisclosure agreement and wouldn't be able to disclose any information about what was being planned. So in the meantime, my suggestion would be for you to just use the regular ORF files that your camera can produce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ORI is not a new file format. It's the same format as ORF, it's just that the ending is different (the I instead of the F).

These ORI files have been around since at least 2017, so it's strange that Adobe haven't added support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I indicated, I'm not up on that technology. In doing a web search this is what I was able to find:

"The camera processes the JPEG file in camera. The RAW file cannot be shot separately. The ORI file is a detail info file for the RAW. What it does is allow additional processing either in the Olympus software or in "Photoshop" via a plugin you can download from Olympus."

One other company, I discovered, is considering adding support for the ORI format. That is all I know. This is the first I have made myself aware of it. Whether or not Adobe is considering support for it. I don't know, and frankly I suspect you won't be able to get any response from the company in that regard. You could consider acquiring the plug-in that is available for Photoshop. Considering the definition that I quoted states that the file is a "Detail info file for the raw" I wonder if the ORI File even contains raw data. That would be something for you to do research on. I'm not interested enough in the subject to do that. Maybe the fact that it is an info file is what the I represents in the extension.

Another thing you could consider. Not knowing anything about the Olympus software that supports that format. I would think it probably allows some editing and then saving to a different format such as TIF. You could do that, and then import the TIF file into Lightroom until such time as Adobe adds support for the format in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you have the wrong information. The .ORI file is a 20MP RAW file, same format as a 20MP .ORF file, just with a different ending.

If I manually rename a Pxxxxxxx.ORI file into Pxxxxxxx.ORF and double-click on it, it will open in Camera RAW and it can be processed. The problem with this renaming is that there is high res (50 or 80 MP) RAW file named Pxxxxxxx.ORF, so I can't in reality use this renaming workaround.

Is there a way to set u Camera RAW to open the .ORI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have an .ORI file, I rename the existing .ORF file to "HR.ORF", then rename the .ORI to .ORF.

This should be pretty simple in a shell script or an Automator action. Probably simpler than convincing Adobe to support the .ORI filename extension. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off the top of my head, may need debuggering. Put this in ~/.bashrc and run it from within the directory containing your hi-res files with "rename-hires"

function rename-hires () {

for image in *.ORI

do

# Move the .ORF file to -HR.ORF

mv "${image%I}F" "${image%.ORI}-HR.ORF"

# Move the .ORI file to .ORF

mv "$image" "${image%I}F"

done;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about this Olympus High Res Shot Raw File Photoshop Plug-in?

https://support.olympus-imaging.com/hp1download/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This says it runs on "MacOS OS X v10.6 - v10.10" or Windows 8.1.

The basic file header has changed since then. I doubt that it will still work on OM-1 .ORF files. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it looks like you can open the .ORI files directly in adobe camera raw without renaming the extension to.ORF by:

mac

In the photoshop Open dialog Enable All Documents, click on the .ORI file, set the Format to Camera Raw and hit Open

open1.pngopen2.png

windows

In photoshop use File>Open As>Camera Raw

In Adobe Bridge you could go to Tools>Batch Rename and change the .ORI extensions to .ORF on selected files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sample ORI files used are from here:

https://raw.pixls.us/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this one

In photoshop use File>Open As>Camera Raw

allows me to open individual .ORI files in camera RAW.

But how to let Bridge index a complete folder of .ORI files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an odd file naming protocol. From what I can find out, .ori is the original straight-from-sensor raw file. The .orf extension is reserved for "sensor-shift" composite high resolution files. Many manufacturers have similar technologies, using the in-camera stabilizer. My Sony can do it - but it requires dedicated Sony software to process.

What happens if you turn this function off? Will all files then have the .orf or .ori extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In standard mode all RAW files of the Olympus camera are 20MP .ORF files.

In high-res mode the camera generates two RAW files:

- a 50MP or 80MP .ORF file

- a 20MP .ORI file

One possible use of the 20MP .ORI file is if there were some moving objects in the scene. Moving objects result in ghosting in the high res 50/80 MP image. But if you upres the 20MP .ORI file to 50 or 80 MP you can use it to mask away the parts of the high res image with the ghosting.

Besides the ghosting, the high res pixel-shift image may have issue with water surfaces (artifacting due to ripples in the water). Also here you could mask away these artifacted image parts by upsizing the 20MP .ORI image in Photoshop.

But for all this Camera RAW and Bridge need to be able to handle both the .ORF and .ORI RAW image files. Renaming the ending .ORI to .ORF is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've noticed that when importing high-res hand held shots into OM Workspace (WS), both the 50PM ORF and the 20MP ORI files appear.  It caused me some consternation when I tried to export them.  It wouldn't let me do it claiming both files had the same name.  So, I'd like to know, if I exported just the ORF as a TIFF for editing in LrC, would the WS export processing incorporate the pixel-shift demosaicing data presumable incorporated in the ORI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have the two filename extension mixed up.

The .ORF file is the high-res file.

The .ORI file is the first of the normal files that are combined to produce the .ORF file.

So yes, if you export a .ORF high-res file, it will still be high-res after exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you know of any other use of the .ORI filename extension?

Is it used (for example) in focus-stacked images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines