Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Post update ACR sharpening changes

Explorer ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I've finally installed the update after choosing to forgo the process for some time.

As I am opening images in ACR, i'm seeing new field called profiles.. and I am seeing sharpening now reads 40 instead of 30.

I am assuming this has to do with an update, but Is there an actual change to the values?

Is acr changing profiles when image is opened?

Is the new value of 40 the equivalent of what used to be 30?

Is there a way to hide the profiles selection?

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

The new default of 40, up from 25, is more sharpening:

Lightroom v7.3 Sharpening Amount Default Setting

I expect this is because camera sensors are much higher density, now, although lenses aren't that much sharper, so the older value wasn't having as much effect as it used to with lower-res sensors.

Here's an online article that says something similar:

https://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2018/04/10/adobe-changed-the-default-lightroom-raw-sharpening-in-v7-3/

--

As far as the Profile line, no you canno

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if the new 40 is equivalent to the old 30. However, you can determine what is best for you and your camera, and you can set the default for your camera to whatever you feel it needs to be. The profiles have been moved from the calibration section to the basic section. If you hide them from where they are now, where would you plan to access them from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I can preset it in my camera, but I did not.

All i know if that now that I've updated, my sharpening gets a value of 40 instead of base 30 as it was before.

Profiles dropdown is useless to me. i've never used it, nor do I plan on using it. It just messes up my workflow as I have to account for lines I actually need to change preferences on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't accomplish anything changing sharpening settings in the camera. If you are finding that sharpening is unacceptable in Camera Raw now with the new setting, then make an adjustment and then save new defaults. As far as the profiles drop-down is concerned, if you didn't use it before, then just ignore it. It was moved to the basic panel. You can't hide it. You'll have to deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not answer my question related to the sharpening slider.

Is the new value an equivalent or not? Why did it change? I'm not saying is unacceptable, I want to understand the nature of the change and make sure I don't oversharpen the images

"Deal with it"is also not a great answer. I'll have to change quite a few scripts now as those are coordinate dependent.

You do realize that these changes affect the paying customers and their clients, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new default of 40, up from 25, is more sharpening:

Lightroom v7.3 Sharpening Amount Default Setting

I expect this is because camera sensors are much higher density, now, although lenses aren't that much sharper, so the older value wasn't having as much effect as it used to with lower-res sensors.

Here's an online article that says something similar:

https://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2018/04/10/adobe-changed-the-default-lightroom-raw-sharpening-in...

--

As far as the Profile line, no you cannot hide it.  It used to be in the Camera Calibration tab. now it's been moved to Basic, since all the new profiles apply to both raw and non-raw (jpg).  Like it or not, this is the phonification of desktop software, where people (usually younger than a certain age) just want to do a few clicks.

I have set a few of the profiles as favorites so they show up in the list without having to browse the preview thumbnails of each new "look" to find them.

Adobe does change the UI from time-to-time, and people get new computers with higher-resolution displays from time-to-time.  New software features and new computers aren't just for those people who don't pay for software, right?  What automation software do you use?  Does it allow locating UI elements by name instead of coordinates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much, SSprengel.  this is what I needed to know.

The scripts I use do not allow for UI element location; the software is quite dated  as well.

It stinks, but i'll deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried AutoHotKey?  I am not sure what OSes it runs on, still, I have used it successfully in the past.

https://autohotkey.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can we somehow make this to zero??? It is adding some noise automaticaly and I dont want that! And to avoid mowing the sliders on EVERY photo I edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines