Preview Button!!!!

Hello, I am incredibly upset about the removal of the preview button in Camera Raw. It has completely interrupted my workflow. I don't mind the ADDITION of new features for those who make take advantage of them, but the REMOVAL of perfectly good features that many of us are used to using is asinine and if you can't tell I am rather upset about it. Please for the sake of god bring it back.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: Preview Button!!!!

I get the impression that you do not read too much .... You have to read the whole topic before saying certain things about what others have said.

I think the answers 24, 26 , 27, 34 and 60 of Jeff Schewe , are sufficiently explicit.

So do not give him more around the bush , the preview button panel is gone and things are as they are .....

If the Adobe engineers have clearly prefer this way of doing things , we can do little about it.

But yeah, I feel good that users protest , if only that, the action of kicking .
I doubt that's going to result in that Adobe would think a little better and back in his obstinacy that ACR should remain as it is, but good is that users do let them know that we do not agree,
however much they think them, and only them, are those who know how to do things and others protested because we simply have no idea and do bad things.

Perhaps by insisting they would just think a little better ......

So you know, from now on , there will be more and better to use Ctrl Z. ..... Nor is so serious ....

I beg your pardon my poor English

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

I got this reply from someone I know who works at Adobe. He said:

"I did find this post which discusses some thinking on the change and a way to get per panel previews, not just the 'all or nothing' that you explain below.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/04/the-new-preview-feature-in-camera-raw.html

I do believe the team is currently investigating more changes as well; I don't think the hue and cry is falling on deaf ears."

I tried the suggestion and it does work but, honestly, it is complicated. So now, instead of simply hitting the preview box to toggle back and forth whereever you are,  you need to remember to do alt/p to set the original, then do the work, then hit p to see the 'before.' Then in the next panel, again, you need to do alt/p to save what you did in that panel, then p will take you back and forth.

On the other hand ctl-z does all of this w/o the dance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That's pretty much what I found. You have to be careful in using the setup toggles in that you don't inadvertently hit the copy current settings while intending to use the before/after. If you are trying to run a process with some degree of tractability, you then are totally screwed. Especially if you don't realize what happened, precisely.

Which all well and good...if your interest is software, or maybe generating a better UI. But as a user wanting consistent, specific results, the single toggle/panel is the gold standard while allowing the more complex version to be implemented concurrently. That is, at any time in the procedure, you can always investigate possibilities before committing to placing it in the unfolding operation.

BTW, I see that misspelled words are now underlined as we type.

Welcome to the 21st Century, Jive. Only 14 years late!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I sent basically this same info to my contact at Adobe. Not that I think it will make much difference. They seem to thing having to make multiple keystrokes and memorize what you have done is a simpler method. I still don't get what we receive in turn...beyond a split before after screen. And that, for me, simply isn't worth the extra hassle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

They probably shrugged it off as multi-tasking, which, BTW, has been discredited as a human capability.

We are single-threaded!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi, all!

Please check out the ACR release candidate, available today:

Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.5 CC Release Candidate | digital camera raw file support - Adobe Labs

From the release notes:

• Added new Per-Panel Preview default toggle
    • If the current panel's settings are not the ACR defaults, clicking the new Per-panel Toggle Button will reset the panel to the ACR defaults.
    • Clicking the button again will restore the previous settings.
    • This is a standalone feature, separate from the new Preview controls
    • The changes are applied to the main view; if you have both the Before and After panes visible, changes will appear in the After pane.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks for the per-panel preview default. It makes much more sense now, IMHO.

But what has really surprised me is the new graduated/radial filter brush - AMAZING!! I can't wait to see it in LR 5.5 (because it WILL be in LR 5.5, I hope!!).

THANKS again for your great work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Sigh!

Thank you, thank you Max! I did a quick check after the D/L and it works fine.

I hope this takes the swagger out of a certain party we all know and love!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

There are some key differences between the new per-panel defaults toggle and the old Preview checkbox:

• The new per-panel defaults toggle actually changes your settings: you see your sliders move to reflect the actual settings that are applied.
  • Put another way, this isn't really a "Preview" like before: your sliders show you the current values used to render the image... what you see is what you get.
  • Because of this, there is no longer the potential for confusion from clicking Done or Open with old Preview checkbox turned off, resulting in an image that didn't look like what you were seeing in ACR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It gave me what I was looking for, at any rate.

But! I opened PS opened a .psd, hit Ctr-P and got the message "Photoshop has Stopped Working...

From Events:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 14.2.1.570, time stamp: 0x52f4a9f2

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000c4102

Faulting process id: 0x183c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf7f7eb0aaab60

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 2ec3a9be-eb76-11e3-9613-002618e82977

I don't think it's the new update, but because this is all that changed in my system, and the update is RC, I thought to post it here.

I did a restore point, but no to avail.

I'll try  Backup Restore and see what happens.

Win 7 64 bit.

Again, thanks Max.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

A couple of questions...is this release of 8.5 a beta version?  And what I've read here confuses me.  It sounds like the toggle takes you back to default in individual panes but that was the problem before.  What is needed is a way to step back only what you did in that pane. I'm on my phone here because I don't have internet access and thus can't download the update to try it for myself

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It's a fourth button that restores to defaults for the individual pane only. If you want to step between successive adjustments in that pane, Ctrl-Z is available.

I'm up early trying to battle the PSCC crash upon going to print! I really need to be able to step back to 8.4. I downloaded it but it refuses to install. Unless I can do that, I cannot be sure 8.5 isn't to blame, despite the notion that ACR isn't running PSCC.

Or is it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I don't know if acr 8.5 is to blame for the print issue (sounds weird since, as you say, ACR is not running PSCC, but who knows). But I wanted to remind that since the latest CC update, we can also download an older version like CS6 from the CC application. Of course it might be overkill to download CS6 just for printing out something, but if this is an urgent matter and you are desperate to find a solution, you might want to give it a try as a last resort (if new CC features are used in the document, save a flattened copy first just in case). Again, you probably knew that, but... just in case.

---

As for Jeff's swagger... come on people, don't be mean - let's be honest, he's earnt his right to swagger all he wants! Even if I did not agree with some of the things he said, I still highly appreciate that Jeff Schewe himself takes time to share his thoughts and knowledge here. In fact, without his interest in discussing the issue, maybe the engineers wouldn't have looked so much into this issue.

So thanks to you too, Jeff. In fact, thanks everybody - because it's not the new checkbox that really makes me happy the most, but the feeling that there is sensible people listening to us at Adobe, the idea that, while not everybody will be satisfied always, still there's a dialogue, a chance to be heard. You know what, maybe it's not really Jeff who should be explaning himself, but other people that, on different web sites, were quick to state that the preview checkbox removal was a clear sign that Adobe doesn't give a damn about the users, blah blah blah (and then of course, one things leads to another and we're in for yet another "anti-cc model" speech).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks, but I am not desperate to print at the moment. It just is weird that this particular crash in PSCC should show up just after updating ACR. Now, I don't know for a fact that the timing is correct because I don't know if the crash would have happened before actually upgrading, that is, an immediate before/after test. To check that, I need 8.4, and even that may not tell the story.

My annoyance with Jeff goes back to the "ship has sailed" comment way back. In fact, it has been corrected. The lack of respect simply because he perceives us to be "little people" not worthy of consideration, which is rather implicit in his comments, is way over the top. If that is so, none of us need to offer our expertise because it probably won't measure up.

Besides, I didn't actually name him in my post, simply stating a certain party, and with a smiley.

As it is said, "if the shoe fits.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That is different from before how? That's exactly what was happening before. If, for instance, you corrected a dark area that was also noisy, then went to the details pane and corrected for the noise but wanted to see a before/after of ONLY the noise action, you were instead, taken back to the default which in the case of this image I'm talking about, was now too dark to tell. Leaving me the ctl-z option. Thankfully there's that. But please tell me how this latest change is any different from the way it worked before. Sadly, there's a new camera out I want and I will be forced to update sooner than I expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Doing the step as you described, using the new button on the Details pane resets only that pane to default for that pane. However, if you have sharpening set to a value other than default, it also resets to default (which for me, is zero for everything. So, if I want to see say the noise change, I have to use Ctrl -Z.

On another item, I uninstalled PSCC and re-installed it but it came back with 8.5 and not 8.4. The crash still happens.

Max, can you verify as to the possibility that 8.5 might corrupt PSCC?

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

So if I install the present advanced version would I then install the final version when it comes out and would that create some sort of conflict. That used to happen with beta versions in the past, I've been told me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I would like to know that as well.

I just did a complete recovery using System Image and I am back to 8.4.1.200. No more crashes. I am thinking of re-installing 8.5, but if there are conflicts with the final version, I probably should wait as well.

Max?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ah, I couldn't wait!

8.5 is installed and now running with no PSCC crashes.

I hate riddles! I think it would do very well to be able to roll back at the first sign of trouble. Would have saved me at least 8 hrs. Of course, I could have simply done the System Image last night once restore didn't work but hey! That would be too easy!

The OS today isn't what it was last night since I rolled back to 06-01-2014 and whatever existed between then and now changed with the System Image install.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Good grief!  No. 

When the final (GM, or Gold Master) version is released, the Adobe Auto Updater (Help menu > Updates) will install it for you when you ask—not behind your back,.

Where do get these superstitious, quasi-religious fears about a Release Candidate, ycardozo? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No I didn't say anything about something happening behind one's back but in much earlier years I had a friend install a beta version of photoshop and when the full version came out he had problems. The final didn't install over the beta. He had to uninstall the beta first and it did not go well. This was many years ago but I've been wary of betas since

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I've been using computers in the course of my work since the mid 1960s, The Mac for over 29 years, Photoshop seriously for some 11 years and I've never had a problem with an Adobe RC.

Plain betas are a different animal from a Release Candidate.  Never install one unless you know exactly what you are doing and you're being paid to test said beta.

Simple rule: if you have to ask, don't go anywhere near it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yes and no. I did significant testing when the i7 processor and chipset appeared (Nehalem), doing validation on an overclocking utility. We were very close to release of this utility but before we did, Win 7 RC showed up. I had to push regression and validation testing to accommodate it and in no way would we have released the utility on just the RC.

The sigh of relief in the release meeting was palpable when I sat down with the results of the final version of Win 7.

I don't think it's that much different for Adobe, albeit PS is not an OS!

I am still struggling with the infernal crash of PSCC using print command. It came back for a third time. It may be a keyboard problem because using the mouse to invoke printing worked. BUT, as soon as it did, then the keyboard worked too! With 8.4.1.200 installed. I haven't upgraded this time to 8.5. I may tomorrow. I am now suspicious of the SSD except only print command causes the failure.

Ježiš a Mária svätá sviatosť!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Larry, remember that the Adobe Camera Team is a pretty independent one, led by the creator of ACR and of Photoshop itself.  It would never occur to me to equate the ACR team with either Adobe itself or with Microsoft.

In any event I'm not "pushing" the 8.5 RC release in any way.  I don't even need it myself, as I'm on CS6, not CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Oh I know and agree. But nonetheless, I tread on the cautionary side.

What is it? Measure twice, cut once.

What! Only twice?

Off to bed. Been up since 4:30 AM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hudechrome wrote:

…nonetheless, I tread on the cautionary side“

Always a wise choice, Larry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm guessing it was a beta version my friend downloaded. I didn't know there was such a thing as a release candidate until this discussion string...which is why these forums are so helpful.  I agree entirely,  if one is not sure,  don't do it. And is also why I try things out on one of my laptops before installing on the main desktop.  Thks for the advice

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Assuming PC:

Do a Backup using a Backup utility like Windows Backup. Make a System Repair disk, just in case your OS self-immolates. Make sure your utility is set to manual. Now install the upgrade. Run your test as long as you wish. When you are satisfied, reset the Backup for whatever interval you want and carry on! If it is carrion, simply Restore from your backup and you are good to go.

Mac should have an equal (and probably simpler) way to do this as well.

If any problems arise, they will likely do so pretty quickly so your test period needn't be too long. It's a good idea in any case even if you aren't having a technical problem but you just don't like the upgrade.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Typically, RC updates of ACR don't last more than 6 weeks, or substantially less, before being replaced by the final version, which often is identical to the RC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

This RC does have a flaw: The Ctrl-Alt-P doesn't work, at least on my computer. A mouse click on the icon works, but not the hot key. Interesting because Ctrl-P in Photoshop brings up printing and is the failure I was noticing. But for now, it seems to be fixed. Had I noticed the flaw in ACR, I would have checked the PS  Print Command in File>Print to see if that also caused the crash.

It isn't the keyboard either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hudechrome wrote:

…The Ctrl-Alt-P doesn't work, at least on my computer…

Not clear what that shortcut is supposed to do or where it can be executed.  As a Mac user and staunch avoider of shortcuts whenever possible, I would appreciate some enlightenment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Do you have ACR 8.5 on CS6? There are the tree new buttons of which we wrote extensively. Max and company added a fourth as we asked. The hot key is Ctrl (Cmd?) +Alt(Option?)+P. Not having used Mac too much, I don't have it memorized.

It's moot if CS6 doesn't have it. I posted it anyway because Max should be aware of it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What does that shortcut do? Meanwhile finally got internet connected again and promptly lost it because of nasty storm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Shortcut is the new hot key for the individual panels. Shortcut isn't quite right as a term, think hot key.

Let me know what you think!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Larry, 8.5RC for CS6perpetual only gives us support for new cameras and any bug fixes, but not a single added feature—none of the new features available to ACR 8.5 users.  No new buttons, no new shortcuts.

I'm still in the dark as to the shortcut mentioned.  Obviously, it does zilch on my machines here.  That's why I asked.  😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Which is why I bit the bullet and subscribed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Oh, I'm very glad I did NOT subscribe!  Very happy not dealing with having to learn new features.  The whole package has been bloated bloated for a very long time,

I find myself having to go back to CS4 more than once a day.

I was just curious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

You say ctl-alt-p is a hot key for individual panels. I am still stuck visiting w/no access to internet.  So what exactly does it do....take you to the next panel or what. Until I can get back to the 21st century I can't download to try any of this. I'm just curious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

All it does is return that panel only to default. Think on/off switch for, say, Details, where off is default. Which is what we were after, correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hudechrome said: 'All it does is return that panel only to default. Think on/off switch for, say, Details, where off is default. Which is what we were after, correct?'

dark image where you can't see anything. I am still temporarily living in 1990 w/o functioning internet (and, no, can't get to starbucks)  so I can't download the RC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I give up. I've tried to make a coherent reply now five times and the internet I'm on is barely alive (well, really not alive at all) so I keep losing my message before I can hit reply. I'll try to ask it when I get back to the real world.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

At some point, a while ago, someone posted instructions on how to set up the new ACR format. It involved clicking on ... something and choosing settings. I've looked and looked and can't find it. I think it was on this forum. Can whoever did that post it again? Thanks.

I seem to have a halfway decent signal today but it will be easier to address the rest of what I was trying to say yesterday if I wait till I can get back to either a decent wifi signal or my office.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Found it. It was 'stevestrike1,' message #90. It involves clicking opening a panel preferences tool but that mainly lets you set how the before/after panels show up (split/side by side/etc) and a few other things. It does nothing for having an individual panel step back one action. But it's worth looking at because it does give control over how the before/after panels appear.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It's basically an on/off switch for the panel where off is default for the panel. Step back one is still Ctrl-Z.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Sorry about the incoherent replies above. Trying to answer using a phone with sketchy connection is pretty much impossible. But I am now back in my office and back in the 21st century. At any rate, what I was trying to say is no, having a fourth box that simply brings you back to default isn't what I was after. I was after a box that would undo just the action in the individual panel. That IS what CTL-Z does, thankfully, but it isn't as easy or seamless as what we had before the new arrangement. My example was an image with a dark area that I corrected in basic, then went to details to correct the noise. But when I tried to see the noise 'before' with an exposure that let me view the noise, I couldn't because it went back to the original too-dark state. So how is this fourth box different from what we had before? What does it give us that's new? Again, thankfully there's CTL-Z.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I was after a box that would undo just the action in the individual panel.

That is what the new per-panel defaults button will do: you can compare the work in a single panel against the default values for that panel only. In other words, you can compare the effects of the Details panel without changing anything from the Basic panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I see adobe has an update to Creative Cloud. Not Photoshop, not Photoshop CC but Creative Cloud. Last time they did this, there was a massive bug and I couldn't even get onto Creative Cloud at all. Apparently, they (meaning Adobe) realized this and sent a second update (which I did not get a prompt for but just accidentally stumbled upon) an hour or so later.  With what happened to RAW, I am understandably hesitant to update anything. So, has anyone downloaded this latest? Any problems?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have it, no problems. Well, one. When I open CC, I get a blank panel for Home. If I pick another panel then go back to Home, it's populated. Otherwise, ok.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

You mean when you open the creative cloud link (not photoshop cc or RAW)? Thanks, truly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Correct. Click Creative Cloud.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have CC set to notify me of updates but not to automatically open when I turn on the computer. Due to some glitch in Adobe's records I kept getting kicked off CC, which meant I couldn't even open Photoshop CC, which is a huge problem if you are off the grid somewhere and can't get onto the internet to sign in.  So my contact at Adobe suggested setting it like this and it solved the problem. The only difference I see now with the newly updated CC panel is it shows me updates I did back more than half a year. Meanwhile, on the matter of Raw, I plan to wait for the formal update since there may be more tweaking and I'm not going out of town for a bit. Thks for ALL your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ycardozo wrote:

You say ctl-alt-p is a hot key for individual panels…

You're confusing me with someone else.    I have never said such a thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

All photo editors these days have bloat. Navigating through them to find gems like this is never ending. I paid for an add-on to DxO Pro to do similar which doesn't even come close!

My subscription runs out this month. I may switch to PS/LR only and cut $30/month from costs. But then, having the rest of the programs is enticing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hudechrome wrote:

…gems like this

Your gem shall remain hidden, as your link returns a "Sorry, this page is not available" error message.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

This RC does have a flaw: The Ctrl-Alt-P doesn't work, at least on my computer.

This was a Windows-only bug that has been fixed for the final version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

At the moment, I am not running the RC. With no other proof of interaction but a series of bewildering ntdll.dll problems which has shown up repeatedly after upgrading to 8.5, I've decided to wait it out.

The connection is tenuous at best, if at all. I tend not to believe it but I do need to go on with my work. With 8.5 installed, all my images crash PS when Print is invoked. 8.4.1.200, I have one file only that crashed PS, and that one can be fixed by changing the Color Profile from ProPhoto to AdobeRGB or sRGB. Curiously, other images with ProPhoto color spaces don't crash! However, the multiplicity of crashes with 8.5 running is too much to ignore.Many of these are tiffs which open first in ACR. The one image that crashes PS while running 8.4 crashes as a .psd and it doesn't go through ACR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ycardozo wrote:

A couple of questions...is this release of 8.5 a beta version?

Of course it is.  RC = Release Candidate means a very advanced beta version that ADobe feels confident it is safe to release to the general public, but would like to test a bit further.

In all my 29 years as an Adobe customer and former customer (since 1985) I have never seen an ASdobe RC release pulled back or changed before the GM release.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hudechrome wrote:

I hope this takes the swagger out of a certain party we all know and love!

Nope...because what you don't know is that behind the scenes, I really DID try to get the ACR engineers to reconsider the per panel preview and was told it wouldn't happen. But, to Max's credit, he figured out a way to show a default toggle and did the work to put it in. Note, it's NOT the same as the old behavior but seems to address the major points the users here on this thread were clamoring for. So, you can thank Max for his hard work...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yep! I actually didn't think it would change your behavior.

What you say you did behind the scenes matters not at all so far as your swagger when appearing on these pages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Max,

My sincere thanks for your first class response. You have done a super job which delivers all that was required and more.   It is very gratefully received and much appreciated.  Thanks again.

All best wishes

Thom. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Try it and then come back. Use Backup to backup your computer first, then if you don't like it go to the backup to get back.

Or try it on your laptop first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I made a short tutorial video about the new Preview features - I hope you find this useful!

New Preview Features in Adobe Camera Raw 8.5 - YouTube

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That was VERY helpful. It gives a good understanding of how all this works. Thanks Max.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ditto that, Max. Thanks. Now I have a baseline to see what's happening with the buttons.

Maybe I'll try split toning sometime as well. Lord knows, I've tried to do that outside RAW. (Split toning has generally meant to me some rather outrageous moves as I've seen in analog days!)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

For a case like this, I would actually normally make that kind of edit using the tone curve on the blue channel. For the video, though, I wanted a clear case of two unrelated (UI-wise) adjustments being previewed together.

Which isn't to knock split tone at all - sometimes it's much easier to use it. It's just a bit of a bigger hammer than I would have normally used in this case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm not sure where to go with this problem. I did the updates for CC on my laptop. Now I seem to have gained a separate version of Photoshop CC called Photoshop CC 2014. It appears to be a totally unupdated version. Normally I could care less but now, I can't open images from Bridge to my regular CC program. I double click on the RAW image, CC shows up and ... nothing. Then I have to open this 'ghost' Photoshop CC 2014 program and the RAW image will open in that. I have no idea what this 'new' version of CC is, only that it has absolutely no updates. It's version 14.0.0 and the straight Photoshop CC is 14.2.1. And when I check with the Creative Cloud panel, it says everything is up to date.

I purposely didn't update my desktop computer but when I just checked the Adobe Creative Cloud panel, an update for the creative cloud poped up and wouldn't let me ignore it and continue on to the other panels. In other words, I can't see what else is going on. It's either update Creative Cloud or do nothing on the desktop. I wonder what would happen if I uninstalled Photoshop CC 2014 on the laptop...whether it would somehow screw up my original Photoshop CC. 

I have tried going to my Windows Explorer (my directory finder) and have clicked on a RAW image and told it to default to Photoshop CC but every time I go back to Windows Explorer, the open command has shifted back to the CC 2014 program. I am totally stumped. I am on windows 7 on both the destkop and laptop.

Has anyone else encountered this? It's linked to all those updates that came out recently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 13, 2014

The new version should be PS-CC-2014.0.0 not PS-CC-14.0.0. In other words Adobe’s decided to use the year, since there isn’t a perpetual-license version, now.

PS CC 2014 doesn’t support Flash extensions, only HTML5, and some old things have been removed so Adobe didn’t remove CC 14.x when they installed 2014.x.

Here is a blog entry about what got removed: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

As far as your issue about an image not opening in ACR, anymore, from Bridge, that is usually remedied by uninstalling and reinstalling PS CC 2014.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What happens if I just uninstall PS CC 2014. It doesn't have anything I want and seems to have created new problems. Or is this the way updates are going from now on. What a mess. When it comes time to finally update CC on my desktop, can I just ignore CC 2014?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

CC 2014 is likely going to have updates going forward, not CC 14, so if you want to stop updating CC, go ahead, but I’d suggest getting CC 2014 working, instead.

I personally haven’t had any problems with CC 2014, but did have a problem with LR 5.5 that clearing out the SLCache folder fixed.

I think the “it’s a mess” happened because the developers and testers were overwhelmed this time with getting things ready for the big Adobe “the cloud is new again” announcement that was scheduled a month or two in advance, and apparently didn’t have time to get everything working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Exactly! Fix it in Battle!

Horsepucky, unless Adobe wishes to cover losses when using CC2014 in it's crippled state.

And, of course, I know that workaround. It does work if your file does not need to go to ACR first, like a .psd.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have tried to get the images to default upon opening to CC but even if I change it in Windows Explorer (the directory finder), the minute I try opening that same image again it goes back to 2014. The only way I can get it to work is:

1. Open CC (the 'old' version)

2. Open the RAW file by initiating 'file/open' in Photoshop

3. then the RAW image opens in Bridge and will open properly in CC.

Since CC2014 appears to be a completely un updated version of Photoshop, why on earth would I EVER want to use it for anything. Sheesh, just as things settled down and were working properly, this crap happens. As a result, I will NOT update photoshop on my desktop.

One question...I went to the Creative Cloud panel to see exactly what had and had not been updated on my desktop machine and a panel came up asking if I wanted to update Creative Cloud. If I say no (exit) the panel closes and I can't get any further. What will happen to my other Photoshop programs (the ones I have NOT updated) if I initiate this infuriating Creative Cloud update. There is absolutely nothing on the update I want but I can't seem to get around that initial page. And I am truly worried that updating this will open the CC2014 can of worms.

Finally, all of this is only happening with my RAW files. Jpegs and Tiffs open from Bridge into 'old' CC just fine.

Is there any way to make 2014 NOT the default program for opening RAW files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yours is doing exactly what mine does, and likely, all of them. My version number indicates I have the updates. (None in CC2014 to date.)

I cannot fathom how We are supposed to run version 14 as an independent program. Here is what happens when I try.

I first open PSCC version 14.2.1. It is now open. Next, I select a tiff file. It opens in ACR. I make no change but proceed to open image. The Photoshop screen shows up, but nothing happens. I check the version. It is now CC2014! No startup screen with the ugly logo. I wait a while, then repeat the file opening by way of ACR. Still, nothing happens. So I exit Photoshop CC2014, repeat the steps .tiff>ACR>Open and now I see the ugly logo confirming CC2014. Now the file opens in CC2014...three times!

So engaging CC14.2.1 means nothing and the invisible takeover by CC2014 is a cipher.

CC2014 doesn't even qualify as an RC, barely a beta. Had I been presented with it as is as a beta, I would uninstall. Now, if I want to go back, I have to use Windows Backup, which I have frozen since CC2014 was installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ok mine is different than yours because my files do open in ACR when required first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

CC 2014 is supposed to take over from CC 14, if you have both installed. On Windows, at least, there is one registry entry for “Photoshop” and the last PS to be installed updates it to itself. The workaround is to have whatever version of PS open, already, but sometimes that must not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

ssrengel,

No, having CC open doesn't solve the problem. If I want to open in the 'old' version, I have to have that open and then do file/open and open it from there, not bridge. Then, when I open from bridge, it opens in the 'old' program. And for whatever it's worth, the 'new' version, when I do help/about photoshop comes up as 2014.0.0. Though at this point, I don't think what it's actually called via 'help' matters.

We finally got all the update bugs straightened out and they do this to us.

So...does 2014 have all the updates that 'old' CC now has? Does it have it's own Bridge?

??????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Here is the summary of what PS CC 2014 does different/more than PS CC 14:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features.html

I’ve only seen one Bridge, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

So it does have new features and the improved content aware tool is beyond cool. That makes me feel a LOT better about all of this. It appears to mean 2014 has everything (except the deleted stuff) that CC (old) has. THANK  YOU. Seriously, thank you. I just wasn't ready to take part in yet another bug trek. Got to admit, the new splash screen is truly dorky. Really loved the exploding one. A shame they've done away with the design...but how minor is that.

Translate

Translate