• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem opening Samsung NX1100 SRW files in CS6 and Lightroom 4

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2014 Mar 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a Samsung NX1100 and want to shoot in Raw format. My CS6 Bridge and Photoshop will not open the SRW files though. I downloaded the lightroom 4 that came with the camera and that will not read the SRW files either. How do I access my SRW files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2014 Mar 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NX1100 was first supported in Camera Raw 7.4 and Lightroom 4.4.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

CS6 shipped with Camera Raw 7.0

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

So try updating Camera Raw in CS6 (Help > Updates) to 7.4.

Or updating Lightroom to 4.4.1 (the last version of 4 which was released)

Win: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5600

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5599

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having much the same problem, except I'm shooting with an EX2F. I've tried reinstalling CS6 (I have extended) and updating to the latest patches, but no go. Photoshop and Bridge can see the files, but cannot open them or draw thumbnails for them. I have also tried installing the latest version of Adobe DNG converter, I get the same result with this.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, lastest OS with latest updates.

I saw on another thread somewhere that changing the file extension from .SRW to .CRW is the fix. I tried this with a couple of files but again I am still unable to open the files.

Apparently there's a raw converter for Samsung cameras but I haven't been able to find it. which is available on the Samsung website NX200 - DOWNLOADS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG I don't know if it converts to JPG or another RAW format yet. Hopefully the link doesn't get wiped and it's useful to someone else.

EDIT: Looks like it's a standalone RAW developer. It only outputs jpg or TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EX2F Has been supported in Lightroom since version 4.2, and in Camera Raw since 7.2. If you truly have the current version of Camera Raw installed, and if you have Lightroom 4.2 or newer, your files should be supported. And the DNG converter should work as well. Can you tell me exactly what error messages you are receiving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

In Photoshop: Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognise this type of file

Bridge: The file "filename.SRW" could not be opened. Preview currently does not support this raw file format

ACR: The Camera Raw settings could not be applied because there were no Camera Raw files selected or selected files were read-only

DNG Converter: The source folder does not contain any supported Camera Raw files.

In addition to my troubleshooting I have also upgraded the camera's firmware to the latest and tried with a fresh set of files while replying, but I get the same error messages as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to open sample NX1100 SRW images using Bridge CS6 with the latest ACR 8.4.x build.

Please post a sample image you cannot open here or another location like DropBox where I can access it.

My email: ccastleb@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @ccastleb The files are too big for posting here. I've never needed to use Dropbox so hopefully this works: Dropbox - SAM_0051.SRW

Uncompressed, straight from camera.

@JimHess Yes I am also unable to open in DNG Converter 8.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How frustrating. I'm having the same problem with the Panasonic LX7. Slightly different in that in Finder I can see a thumbnail for each RW2 file and can even preview each file with OSX Preview. DNG Converter refuses to convert them and Camera Raw also doesn't know what to do with them. The LX7 is brand new and there are no firmware updates available for it.

Here's a sample file: Dropbox - P1000005.RW2

I'd like to be able to shoot in raw on both of these cameras. JPG is great and all for the kind of photos I'm just sharing on the web, but if I want to make a print I'd like to have the flexibility of raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open the Panasonic LX7 image with Camera Raw 8.4.1 and the 8.4 DNG Converter.

I was not able to open the Samsung EX2F image.

Which color space/mode do you have the EX2F set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darrenmars wrote:

Thanks, @ccastleb The files are too big for posting here. I've never needed to use Dropbox so hopefully this works: Dropbox - SAM_0051.SRW

Uncompressed, straight from camera.

@JimHess Yes I am also unable to open in DNG Converter 8.4

But what is the error message you receive when using the DNG converter? The most common mistake new users make is to open the folder containing the original raw files. You only choose the folder, but don't open the folder. My thinking is that you received the message that there are no files found. And the solution is as I have explained.

Added later: have you been able to import any images from this camera? I just downloaded your image and try to open it in Camera Raw as well as Lightroom, both the latest versions. There's no preview, and neither program will open the file. According to the supported camera list published by Adobe, that camera is supported. So something else must be a contributing factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for some time now, as well as DNG Converter. My workflow typically begins with importing all of my photos, converting to DNG and archiving the original raw.

Camera Raw gives an error about unsupported file format, DNG doesn't find supported raw files for the EXF2.

I figured out why the LX2 files weren't opening. It was because Camera Raw in fact hadn't updated (it was frozen in the update process in the background). I got all excited thinking that's why the other files weren't opening, but not the case.

Colour space isn't able to be set within camera... Exif data says colorspace: 1 No mention of aRGB or sRBG anywhere in the EXIF or RAW data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info. We are investigating. Stay tuned.

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color space setting should have no effect. In fact, when using Camera Raw isn't even something to consider. Have you ever been able to use those files from the EXF2? Neither Lightroom 5.4 nor Camera Raw 8.4 will recognize that file on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I meant which color mode. Our internal tools reported an issue with the image's color mode.

We don't know what the cause is yet, so we are following up with Samsung to help troubleshoot.

And yes, it would be helpful to know if the images from the camera have ever worked in any version of Camera RAW or other image processing software.

Cheers,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been several Samsung camera models mentioned in this thread:

Samsung EX2F, Samsung EX2, Samsung EXF2, Samsung NX1100.

The sample file posted, SAM_0051.SRW, is from a EX2, and it doesn't open in ACR/LR/DNGC.  Adobe does not list this camera in their supported cameras list.  It seems to have been released in 2012.

Adobe has supported the an EX2F since ACR 7.2/LR4.2.  This is a different camera from the EX2.

There seems to be some confusion that the EX2 images posted on here are EX2F images, they are not.  The EX2 was not supported by Adobe, while the EX2F is supported.  I don't think this is a problem that needs to be investigated with Samsung, just within Adobe, why the EX2 was not supported.

If someone is having a problem with an actual EX2F image, then post it here, via DropBox.

Adobe has supported the NX1100 since ACR 7.4/LR4.4.

Not sure what an EXF2 is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully the original post was resolved by updating the plugin.

darrenmars, ssprengel is correct that the camera model data says "EX2" which is not on the list of supported cameras. You mentioned you were shooting with the EX2F.

Can you confirm the camera is in fact the EX2F or EX2?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely EX2F. I think I've figured it out anyway, it turns out that this

is an engineering sample, and often these don't represent an accurate

example of the market-available model.

My bad.

Hopefully this helps someone else!

Thanks all for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know it is an EX2F, the file says EX2 in the EXIF data, not EX2F? Is the model designation on the external camera body or on a serial-number plate, somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has EX2F on the camera body.

Someone mentioned EXF2 was brought up earlier in the post... This was

likely a typo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To see why Adobe software is confused:

Check the EXIF camera name from one of your raw files on this website:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Then check the EXIF camera name on the same site from a raw file from a site like this:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_ex2f_review/sample_images/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the DNG converter? Surely you didn't get that same message with it, did you?

Added later: FWIW, I downloaded your file and imported it into Lightroom 5.4 without any problems. And, using Lightroom, I was able to convert it to DNG. Again without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines