• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Canon raw files from Canon DPP when opened in Adobe Camera Raw

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I hope someone can help.  I shoot tethered using Canon Digital Photo Professional software, I either use my 5D Mk IV or EOS R and have the same problem when using either camera.  I do a lot of product photography on a white background. I set my colour temperature so that it is consistant throughout. The Canon DPP software shows that I have a pure white background (255,255,255) by displaying a red highlight so I know by looking at this and by the values on the screen that the background is pure white.  However, when I open the raw files in Adobe camera raw either through Bridge, Photoshop or Lightroom, the background is no longer pure white, it is usually around 253 and the colour temperature has changed completely even though in the white balance says 'as shot'!  If I export the same file from Canon DPP, the orginal settings remain ie. pure white background and colour temperature, unfortunately I don't have the time to wait for Canon DPP to export all the files as it is quite a slow process.   My assistant shoots with a Canon 80D and this problem never occurs, we have compared the settings and preferences on all software and they are the same so I am at a loss as to why this is happening. If someone could help I'd be very grateful.  Thank you

Canon DPP & Adobe 1 MR.jpgI've attached a screen shot of the Canon DPP settings (on the right) and Adobe Bridge on the left showing the different colour temperature from the original setting of 4800K (in the Canon DPP software)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could create a preset that would modify the white balance appropriately, and apply that preset when importing new images. Or, you could create new default settings for the camera if that would be appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your reply, I hadn't thought of making a preset, I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert on this, but I believe that color balance (tint and temperature) are written as metadata in the raw file, and that different applications interpret this metadata differently.  I have also seen posts about different Canon cameras having different color balance. Whether this is Canon's or Adobe's fault, I don't know.

As for the reduced highlight tones, Lightroom and Camera Raw do some some automatic highlight recovery on rendering raw files. This happens before the image displays, and is not reflected in the Highlights slider.

You can create a develop preset to compensate for this, and apply it on import.

You can even set new default settings for the camera by Alt-clicking the Reset button in the lower right corner in Develop (Lightroom) with the sliders set where you want them.  There is probably an identical feature in Camera Raw (which I rarely use).

If you also use the camera out of the studio, it might be best to use a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply and information, I'll have a go at creating a preset, something I haven't done before but it's always good to learn something new. Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do product photography and have presets created with a Color Checker and X-Rite software. There is a different profile for each camera and lighting setup. Those should get you close, you are probably seeing the effect of the default ACR settings.

If you want to double-check your background, open the image in Photoshop, create a Levels adjustment layer and move the black slider all the way right as far as it will go (253.) Duplicate that layer. Now check your image at 100%. If there is ANY stray pixel that isn't 255, you'll find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi, thanks very much for your help, that's a great idea to set different profiles up for each camera and lighting setup, thanks so much - have a lovely weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines