Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

quality loss using DNG converter

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using LR (v5.7) for my pictures treatment, unfortunately my new camera (SONY A68) is not covered by my LR version.

I've seen that Adobe suggests using DNG converter to sort this problem out so I've converted my new RAW files into DNG using it before uploading them into LR.

Nevertheless, no matter which setting is selected into DNG converter, when I open the converted DNG file into LR, there is visible quality loss on the picture (no need to zoom in).

Except being forced to migrate on LR v6 (with a whole package I don't really need), I would like to know wether there is a real solution possible with DNG converter ?

Thank you for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the compatibility level to ACR 5.4 is AFTER you update your PSE to use ACR 5.6, not before.  You should still do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you said  "Please update your PSE 6.0 with ACR 5.6",  so that's what I did.
Given the error message telling me that the update can't find Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on my system, how would you suggest I should proceed?

At this point however, my Elements 6.0 seems to work with Camera Raw 5.6 and I'm not really all that keen on doing any more changes unless really necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That photoshop 6.0.1 update is for photoshop 6 circa 2001, not photoshop elements 6, so your all up to date with the 5.6 acr as far as pse 6 is concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also try updating your PSE 6.0 to PSE 6.0.1 from the links, here, if you haven't already;

Adobe Photoshop 6.0.1 update available: Digital Photography Review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! 

I seem to have the same problem. When I use the converter version 14 from my cr3 files to DNG, it does an automatic correction (brightness, saturation and even crop) that changes the photo and the quality seems to be worse. The camera is a Canon r6. 
How can I solve this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshots you posted are from Windows Photos, which cannot display raw files, but displays the embedded jpg instead.

The DNG seems to have had lens corrections applied to it (pincushion distortion has been corrected, which does crop the image slightly), as well as an increase in exposure. So did you edit the DNG in Camera Raw?

In any case, the jpg preview of the DNG looks much better than the jpg preview of the CR3 file.

As has been mentioned several times in this in this thread, converting to DNG does NOT affect image quality in any way.

In the future, please post screenshots directly in your post. Click the Insert Photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

image_2022-01-11_200445.png

image_2022-01-11_200518.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per Berntsen, 

Thank you for your response. I didn't edit anything in the photos that you see, just used the converter and that's how they appear. I understand what you are saying of the Windows Photos, because I've seen it happen. But the problem here is that this photo appears also 'edited' in Lightroom, as you can see edited in the Windows Photos. 

I read the thread and understand what it says, but still cannot find the source of this problem. 

Might look better but when I try to edit it in LR the photo is already 'edited' and has more noise, due to the exposure change and everything. I would like to edit that myself in LR. 

Thank you, 
Agostina 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is always some "editing" just to view the image (not the JPEG preview) as the DNG. There is always some default rendering of the raw (DNG) just to show you a preview. This is what your raw/DNG really looks like and of course, if you saw this, you'd really be unhappy:

ThisIsRaw

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do your RAW files look in Canon DPP?

Understand that convering to DNG doesn't change the image data unless you use lossy compression. You will be getting the same RAW data just packaged differently. However, users often get the JPEG preview mixed up with the unadjusted RAW data and wonder why they don't look the same. YOU HAVE TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO A RAW/DNG FILE. Period. An out-of-camera JPEG can be used as-is.

If you used the same RAW converter on the RAW/converted DNG, the results would be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines