Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Query on Adobe Camera Raw

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Can I install Adobe Camera Raw only to edit my RAW files ? That means I do not have Photoshop CS6 but I cannot locate the ACR in my Mac 10.7 after I have installed the file from the following link https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Louis

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge to the specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Louis+kk+Lam  wrote

I do not have Photoshop CS6...

Which photo editing software do you have?

Applications that support Adobe Camera Raw plugin include Photoshop, Lightroom & Photoshop Elements.

Adobe Camera Raw

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing in the Camera Raw plugin writes the edits to a text file - the raw file is never changed.

When you click Open Image, the edits will be applied to a new (rendered) file, which will open in Photoshop. (or Photoshop Elements)

So the plugin needs Photoshop (or Elements) to work.

Lightroom doesn't use the plugin, but has Camera Raw built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hard disk has corrupted and is fixed. But I don't want to subscribe the monthly plan for PS6 again since I want to purchase a new MacBook Pro. In the meantime, I think I can download the free ACR and retouch on my RAW files. Can I use ACR separately or other applications you guy can recommend ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know, Photoshop Creative Suite 6 is no longer sold or supported.  That ship sailed in January, 2017 when Adobe discontinued Creative Suite products.  

Going forward you have 2 options:

1) Subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photography Plan of choice (PS + LR + ACR + Bridge, etc...) 

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

2) Purchase Photoshop Elements 2018.

Easy Photo Editing & Collage Maker | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like I said above, you need Photoshop or Elements to be able to use ACR.

You say you are getting a new Macbook, so do you plan to subscribe to Photoshop?

Or do you have a licence for CS6? (not sure how well it will work on a new Macbook though)

In any case, if you intend to continue using Photoshop on the new computer, there is one solution that might work - or it might not.

It's something I've never tried, and I don't know if if anyone has ever tried it.

ACR can be launched from Bridge (as far as I know, a free download), but I have no idea what will happen if Photoshop is not installed. But you can install Bridge and try it.

Right click a raw file in Bridge, and choose Edit in Camera Raw.

When finished editing, click Done, which will write the edits to an XMP file, saved next to the image.

You should install the version of Bridge that matches the version of Photoshop that you plan to use.

Also, you have to install a version of ACR that is compatible with the Bridge/Photoshop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines