Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW File NEF/DNG - PS CS6 vs PS CC

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there everyone,

I'm still on PS CS6, as it fits my needs, and I don't really need the fancy stuff in the newer versions.

However, I just got a new Nikon camera, a Z6, that itsn't supported by CS6 natively any more. To open a file, I need to use the DNG converter, make a DNG and open this file in PS.

This is basically fine, and I don't mind taking this extra step. However, someone told me that if PS CS6 open the DNG file, it would use some standard algorythems as supposed to some that are specific to the camera - but as CS6 doesn't know the camera, it has to use the generic ones - I'm not sure if that is true, as I don't really know the source of this theory.

My question now is, if I take a nef file from a Z6, convert it to a DNG and open it in PS CS6, will it look differently if I open the nef file directly in PS CC?

Kind regards,

Ankit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult to say. But I suspect that it would look different because Photoshop CC and the updated Camera Raw would have different defaults for the camera and those defaults would utilize the new settings available in the later version of Camera Raw, not to forget at least one new process version. But, of course, that will be after that camera model is eventually supported by Photoshop CC and Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've been listening to Capture One marketing - that's their line. It's utter nonsense, they just refuse to fully support DNG because it doesn't fit with their "secret sauce", "magic" etc marketing. There's nothing magic about it, but if they supported DNG the bottom would fall out from their carefully constructed image.

No, there is no inherent difference between DNG and NEF. They are just different containers for the same data, which is, simply, a dump from the camera sensor. The both contain the same sensor data and the results will be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The difference will be in the default processing only in ACR and not caused by any change from NEF to DNG.  CC has the latest and greatest image processing goodies as you would expect, and they do make changes / improvements to the image.  Nothing in Adobe software is static, but if you had settings saved in ACR CS6 they can be used in CC to keep a similar look.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines