• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Samsung Galaxy S9 Pro Camera's DNGs processed very differently after recent updates...

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started noticing what I thought was pixel corruption along one edge of DNGs processed with Lightroom Mobile 3.6 (Android).  I believe the edge corresponds with one side of the camera's sensor since the edge varies when I shoot portrait (left or right side) vs landscape (top or bottom).  The apparently problem would carry over into Lightroom CC and on to Adobe Camera RAW 10.1, but I didn't think much of it since the offending pixels were often cropped way as I finalized my shots anyway.  I noted the corruption in another post as it renders differently if I'm using hardware rendering (appears to be a color look up table) or software rendering (solid black).  In previews or on a mobile device, it always looks like the hardware variant (I don't know if you can disable hardware rendering on Lightroom Mobile).

However, the 4.0 updates to Lightroom Mobile and Adobe Camera Raw 11 have caused new issues that are much more dramatic.  In some cases, the photos expose in a totally different way that causes my usual settings (for which I have made presets...things like applying profiles and pulling down highlights) to dramatically lower the overall exposure.  In some cases, I find myself raising exposure significantly to compensate only to have the settings appear to have the exact opposite result as soon as I leave the editing module (or close Adobe Camera RAW).  And if I go back and try to bring down the now overexposed photo, the resulting photo becomes super underexposed.

Thus far, I am not seeing this behavior if I shoot DNGs with the Lightroom Mobile Camera on my Samsung Galaxy S9.  This only happens if I use the phone's native camera app in Pro mode...which is more fully featured than Lightroom's camera.  I also have not seen any such issues with CR2 files from my Canon 5D Mark II.

I have since verified that I can get around the apparent corruption by simply opening the DNGs in Adobe Camera Raw 9.1.1 (I still have pre CC Bridge / Photoshop CS6 installed)...which makes me suspect the photo data is actually fine.  But more recent versions of ACR supports quite a few features I had already taken advantage of (profiles and many more local adjustments) which means that I may have to rollback to the previous version of ACR / CC for hundreds of DNG photos I have processed, but not yet exported as JPEG.

Is it possible to rollback to a previous version of Adobe Camera Raw?  The Adobe Creative Cloud manager doesn't appear to include previous versions of Camera Raw CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

It would appear that Lightroom Mobile 4.1.1 and the recent updates (December 2018) to Creative Cloud applications (Bridge / Adobe Camera RAW / Lightroom Classic CC) have fixed the issues I had been experiencing with DNGs taken with my Galaxy S9.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the Camera Raw 10.5 installer on the Adobe site...and that version does appear to work with CC 2019 Bridge / Photoshop while not experiencing any of the issues mentioned above.  Now I need to find a way to rollback Lightroom Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with DNG files from my Samsung Galaxy 8.  I used the Galaxy for DNG files and some jpg's and my Nikon for NEF's and some jpgs.  All of the Galaxy 8 DNG's have a rendering issue on the left side. The Nikon NEF's are perfectly fine and so are all of the JPG's .      See the the colored line as shown below.  Have three weeks worth of Alaska and Yukon photos, that I've been working on.    They were fine when I downloaded them in August.  I use Bridge.  My NVIDIA video driver is updated.  I uninstalled the newest Bridge and went back to 8.1, but the edge is still there.   Since the OP is a couple weeks old now, has anyone found a workable solution?  Guess I better not open or work on any of my DNG's.    Anyone know when a fix is coming?  Windows 10.  Thank you.

'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround was not to uninstall the new version of Bridge, but to install the previous version of Camera Raw (which is what Bridge uses to process the RAW files).  10.5 is the version of Camera Raw I'm using without the artifact or processing issues with the S9's DNG files.  Camera Raw plug-in installer

That said, I am tempted to go back a version of Bridge and Photoshop CC because this version has been very unstable (i.e. crashes a LOT) on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eric.  I installed the old ACR.  Seems to work okay.  When I view the affected files, they appear fine, when I open them, the issue immediately presents itself, but   disappears within a second or so.  Even if I make a change to the DNG and click on done, save and exit and come back in, the lines are still there and it presents itself over and over no matter what.   If I save to a o PSD, TIFF or JPG those end up being fine.  So it looks like for the ones that I had opened up in the new acr, continue to present with the issue, but it's workable if saving to a different format.      Yeah, I've been  using the previous versions here and there also.  The first few days, mine just was so slow and was always hanging and locking up.      Thanks again for answering.  Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: DNG files from S7, S8 and S9 phones are displaying a corruption "banding" on the longest edge (left or bottom depending on the picture rotation). This is very problematic.

It is related to Adobe DNG engine.

Reverting to Camera RAW 10.5 worked for photoshop but not lightroom.

That need to be fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a side by side comparison of the same DNG processed with latest Lightroom CC and the oldest Camera RAW 10.5 (original DNG file can be downloaded here : https://1drv.ms/f/s!AurrZiSDwBzGhvYFUS-y2JIaboo0XQ ) :

2018-05-19_170928-20180519_170928.jpg

20180519_170928.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue with galaxy S9 and opening RAW with Camera Raw 11.0. A fix will be appreciated :).

CR11.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely would like to see a fix...but since the problem started happening I have been using the camera accessed from Lightroom Mobile and, though it is far from feature complete, it does have a couple of advantages:

1. DNGs captured by this app work as expected

2. I can directly launch the Lightroom camera from a widget on my home screen (been very irritated that you can't launch the S9 camera in Pro mode, so this gets around it)

3.  It only captures DNGs...no wasted space from redundant JPG files (wish the S9 camera had this option).  Though I don't need to save the original DNG either (since this camera always adds to Lightroom Mobile), I don't trust the Cloud process as I have had DNGs get corrupted while editing in Lightroom Mobile

4.  You can capture DNGs from the front facing camera (wish the S9 camera had this option)

There are quite a few things you can't do with the Lightroom camera though...no subject focus tracking, video record button, touch to exposure/focus lock...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is a good idea.

This is not ideal because the LR mobile app is complex to use and the LR camera less powerful than Samsung camera app..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear that Lightroom Mobile 4.1.1 and the recent updates (December 2018) to Creative Cloud applications (Bridge / Adobe Camera RAW / Lightroom Classic CC) have fixed the issues I had been experiencing with DNGs taken with my Galaxy S9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Working fine now with Adobe Camera Raw 11.1 & Samsung Camera app 9.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines