• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still can't open 5D Mark IV's CR2 after successful update of camera raw.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is for CS6.

Yes, I know that I can update the camera raw by going to Help and run Update. Yes, I did that successfully, but Photoshop still can't read CR2 and asks me to update it. Then I run Help-Update again and it says there's nothing to update. Yes, Camera RAW is checked as an item to be updated in the setup menu. Please don't ask me to convert CR2 to DNG. I don't like DNG because it has some weak points. Ironically, Photoshop Lightroom 6.14 reads CR2, but why not in Photoshop? I don't use CC version and have no plan to use it. If you have had this issue or if you know how to deal with it, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

The version of ACR that can work with CS6 is not new enough to work with CR2 images from that camera.

You have two choices:

You can either do it the free way by downloading the DNG Converter, convert all of the images into DNGs and then open those up with  CS6

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

or join one of the Photoshop Plans

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Sorry but that the only options you have.

Let us know which one you chose, I'm curious

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of ACR that can work with CS6 is not new enough to work with CR2 images from that camera.

You have two choices:

You can either do it the free way by downloading the DNG Converter, convert all of the images into DNGs and then open those up with  CS6

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

or join one of the Photoshop Plans

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Sorry but that the only options you have.

Let us know which one you chose, I'm curious

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR for CS6 will never be later than 9.1.1. Use LR 6.14 until your next camera isn't supported.

What are DNG's weak points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really must stay with the software configuration that you have right now, and you want to continue using it, then the DNG converter is really your only alternative for accessing your raw images with THAT software. I don't know what your concerns are about using the converter. Many Adobe users convert their raw images routinely on import even when Lightroom for Photoshop supports their native raw files. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is your only alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I convert to DNG for several reasons - but one of them is sufficient on its own: DNG is an open, publicly documented standard, as opposed to the secret sauce of the camera manufacturers. I always support open standards on principle. It's not Adobe's fault that the camera manufacturers still refuse to back this open standard.

If they did, you wouldn't have this problem! Think about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't want to argue which is better between RAW and DNG. I prefer RAW only because the manufacturer-specific information is lost when I convert it to DNG. I also prefer to work using sidecar files instead of directly writing to image files. I didn't know that ACR for CS6 no later than 9.1.1 will be supported. Thanks for the information. I will keep using Lightroom to retouch my photos and I will be able to convert some of them to TIF, DNG or PSD when I need to use Photoshop. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines