• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferred CR2 Images from Canon 5D Mark II and cannot open in PS or LR

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5D Mark II, MacBook Pro, all updated versions of LR, PS, Bridge, and as of last night I now have DNG Converter 9.7, as well.  I imported my raw images using a card reader like I always do.  My CR2 raw images cannot be opened anywhere!

Trying to troubleshoot I put the card back into my camera to check out the images and it gave me a question mark icon and a message reading "Cannot play back image."

What's going on?  I appreciate any help you guys may have for me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What versions of LR, PS and ACR are you using? Don’t say “fully updated” actuallyt go check to see what version in Help / System Info or Help / About …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ssprengel,

I have Creative Cloud and

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 8.40.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 8.42.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 8.49.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a sample CR2 file to somewhere like Dropbox and post a link here so we can take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file you've posted on Dropbox is not a raw file from any camera.  The contents are unrecognizable. 

If you can try and transfer the files, again, using an OS function, Finder or Explorer, then do that and see if they work any better.  Try a different cable or card reader or computer.  It's hard to say what might be wrong without those troubleshooting steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried importing using my card reader and when that yielded negative

results I then hooked a cable up and tried to transfer the files directly

from camera to computer. They both look exactly the same.

These photos were for a three combined families for their christmas

photos. They came in from out of state. I desperately need to retrieve

and edit them!

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 12:58 AM, ssprengel <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I was hoping to see the thumbnails on my camera screen and this is the message I see!IMG_9127.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try running some image recovery software against the card in a reader and see if it can find anything.  The file on dropbox is 8MB but a sample 5D2 image I have is 30MB so the file you posted seems much too small to be a raw file from a 5D2.  Though the size varies somewhat with the ISO and image complexity, 1/3 the size seems too small.

Usually the way the recovery programs work is they will scan and provide thumbnails of what they find, and if you are satisfied, then you have to pay to unlock the software to actually save any images off the card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Take a look at the entire roster of image sizes from the entire photo session:Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.33.24 AM.png

I took your advice and looked through Data recovery programs last night and purchased one that seemed to have a high success rate with raw images.  Paid for the download, received it, and when I tried to open it realized it was for Microsoft Office compatible computers.  Sent them a message to see if a refund will be possible since I didn't even figure their program wouldn't apply to MacBooks!

Do you have a recommendation for one that recovers raw files with success that's compatible with a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines