Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Canon 7D CR2 raw files in Photoshop CS6

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to open Canon 7D CR2 raw files in Photoshop CS6 (Extended) (Windows 8.1) but I'm always getting the error "Could not complete your request because the file format module cannot parse your file".

I installed the Camera Raw plugin ver 8.8.0.397 today. Did this initially by downloading and running the CameraRaw_8_8.zip available here Camera Raw plug-in installer. Still got the error.

Went and did the Check Updates in Photoshop and updated the Camera Raw (and other components) but STILL cannot open the CR2 files.

I can see the thumbnails in Bridge but when I double click to open them in Photoshop, same error.

Cannot seem to get past the "Could not complete your request..." error.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Doug...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Now that's interesting. Just tried opening up the images in Canon Digital Photo Professional and they seems to work, no problems. That's good.

Now I just need to figure out why Photoshop is having issues...

Cheers,

Doug...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed and tried the DNG Converter and that didn't work either. Got the error "There was an error parsing the file".

What's the go here???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre. Just down loaded a random Canon 7D cr2 image from the net and tested it. It opened up without any problems!

So is it possible my canon 7d is saving corrupt CR2 raw files??? How can this be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are these raw files from a 7D or a 7D Mark II ?

Have you select M RAW or S RAW mode?

Have you tried using the canon software (DPP) - does that read them?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

Raw files from 7D.

Tried M RAW and S RAW, same problem.

DPP - Not yet. Trying to download a copy.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't think that Camera Raw supports M RAW and S RAW and I was wondering if you had accidentally switched to either of those two formats.

The other options are a cable fault or a reader fault (if you are using a card reader).

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the files are corrupted. MRaw and SRaw are supported by Adobe products—I tried just now with my 7D2. DPP will likely show errors when you try to export a JPG from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your replies and assistance so far, very much appreciated. Its a very frustrating problem... this should be one of those things that just work.

I have uploaded two sample pics taken with my canon 7d. If you get a chance, could you please try opening these images to see if they work on your machine.

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/misc/rawtest1_canon7d.cr2

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/misc/rawtest2_canon7d.cr2

I have tried opening them on both my office and home computer but neither of them work.

Hmmm... could it have anything to do with the lens (Canon Macro Lens EF  100mm1:2.8 USM)

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's interesting. Just tried opening up the images in Canon Digital Photo Professional and they seems to work, no problems. That's good.

Now I just need to figure out why Photoshop is having issues...

Cheers,

Doug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have just download both of those photos and I have tried opening them with CC2014 ACR 8.8 and get the same error message.

I have tried opening them with DPP and they show up as a ring with blue stone.

Irfanview will also show them.

I don't think that the lens would make any difference, but I will do a test with that lens tomorrow.

There does seem to be a problem there, have you tried a different lens?

Do you format your card regularly? Have you tried a different card?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

Hmmm... ring with a blue stone. That's odd. One pic should be just a purplish blue stone (no ring) and the other a lighter sort of blue stone. There shouldn't be any jewellery or rings in the two pics.

I haven't tried a different lens, only have the one.

I have the camera linked via usb to the computer and do remote shooting... the pics are deposited into a folder on my machine.

Haven't reformated the card ever nor tried a different one.

Will erase all images off the card now.

Could the Colour Space make a difference... currently set to sRGB... should it be Adobe RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both links go to rawtest1.  If you copy and edit the rawest1 link you can download raw test 2, and it is a green rectangular stone.   Rawtest1 is a purple squarish stone.  Both on a neutral background.  No rings other than a slightly shadow or vignetting halo.

I can see all the raw data in RawDigger--no mixing pixels, and DPP does open it.  PS-CC/ACR 8.8 and PS/CS6/ACR 6.7 won't open it.

Something is corrupted about the data in the files, but not the pixel data, something else, and Adobe is too persnickety about everything being right so it can't be opened.

As others have suggested the files are corrupted and you should try a different card and a different method of transferring the files from the card to the computer.  Maybe the camera has a problem, but usually it is the card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for incorrect link, copy paste error.

Yes, there is something odd about the CR2 files and it seems to be consistently odd and only with the CR2, not the JPGs.

Camera is set for remote shooting and the files are saved directly to the computer.

Just tried shooting locally with the images saved onto the card and then manually transferring them to the computer, but still get the same problem.

Not sure how it can be a card problem... if it was wouldn't the "data corruption" be random rather then consistent?

Its something to do with how the files are being generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the same cable to transfer the images direct from the camera and manually from the card? Try a different card, a different cable, a different card-reader, a different computer.

Can you upload an image that works that was taken with the same camera in similar circumstances?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't tried a different card or a different cable.

Using the same cable for both direct transfer and manual.

Unfortunately I do not have an CR2 image taken with this camera that works.

I have tried small (~8MB), medium (~12MB) and large (~21MB) CR2 files but they all suffer the same problem consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Tried new card and new cable, as expected same problem. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use a card reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

I haven't had a chance to test out the card reader. I don't have one handy but I'll try to get my hands on one in the next day and try it out.

In the meantime, are there any other lines of inquiry that I could check out. It seems that the possibilities so far are :

1) CR2 Files are being generated incorrectly by the camera at time of capture as they are written to card

2) The files are being generated correctly but are being transferred to the computer via cable incorrectly and getting somehow corrupted

3) Something weird is going on with either my Photoshop setup and or my Camera Raw 8.8 plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Referring to your possible causes,

1) This is a possibility - could be camera hardware or firmware. If you were to take it in for servicing, they would first ensure the firmware is up to date. So I suggest you check your firmware level.

2) In the past, most corruptions have shown up as weird colour bands in the image. In your case, if corruption does occur, it would have to be in the header information

3) I have checked out older versions of camera raw and they all reject the files so it is not just your system.

plus

4) Canon is writing the file correctly but Adobe is misinterpreting it. However, since the camera has been out for a few years, I think we would have heard more about it by now.

My thoughts are that it is to do with 1) camera or firmware.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brian, Thanks ssprengel, I really appreciate your assistance. I'll check the firmware as suggested and take it from there, as well as trying the card reader. My thinking is that it is something to do with the camera rather then the computer.

Cheers and thanks!

Doug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the card reader but still got the error. So that rules out cards, cables and readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 28, 2015 Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Doug, I kept calling you Bob - I was getting confused with answering another thread - easy to do at my age.

I would only completely rule out the card if you had formatted it in the camera. The cards use an old dos FAT system which can get very messy if you just delete and add files. I tend to download the images to my computer and after making sure they are there, I then put the card back in the camera and reformat it.

I don't know if you have ever updated the firmware of a camera, it is easy but you MUST follow the instructions to the letter. In the early EOS days, the instructions were not so well defined and I, and many like me, locked up our cameras. The cameras had to go back to Canon to be reset. Perhaps you firmware is up to date.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firmware is ver 2.0.0

Any ideas what the latest firmware version is for the Canon eos 7d?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The latest firmware is 2.0.5

As I said before, if you update follow the instructions to the letter else you could lock up your camera.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Further to my last reply, version 2.0.0 was the first one to include all the new facilities. After that came versions 2.0.3 and 2.0.5 so they must have found some problems with the initial release that you have.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines