• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What can convert Raw into DNG on a Win XP series pack 2?

Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new camera that makes RAW files but my computer's only platform is XP series pack 2.

I downloaded DNG converter 8.3 which is supposed to be able to run on XP series pack 3.

Will it work?  Or is there another DNG converter that run on WIN XP series pack2?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old netbook that runsWin  XP service pack 2.  So I installed the DNG convert 8.3.  It didn't open my Panosonic Lumix ZS 50's raw files whose extension is .RW2.  sigh.  I'm not even finding what version of DNG supports my cameras unless it is the same as "Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version "  I also have a Fujifilm .RAF files to open.  It is looking to me that there isn't a DNG version that will both work with any of my operating systems (chrome or XP service packs 2 or 3) to open my raw files from new-ish cameras.    Would a plug in work?  I have Photoshop CS2.  I'm thinking of buying Lightroom.

If anyone has a solution so I can manipulate my RAW files in Photoshop, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Catya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newer versions of LR are NOT going to run on XP SP2, either. Your only solution is to use old cameras that are supported with Adobe software on older OSes or upgrade your OS which probably means upgrade your computer(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SS,

Thanks for info. I'll keep it in mind when I'm in the market for a new computer (which I'd really rather not buy).  And will carefully study  which versions of LR I can run on my current computers.  But all my old digital cameras have bit the dust (literally) except for an old Nikon Coolpix P&S which someone gave me and which doesn't make RAW files anyway.  Looks like I will have to borrow an appropriate computer to convert my raw files.  Nice of Adobe to make the downloads so simple.  Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running the DNG converter? If so, what happened? Also, what is your new camera model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I tried running DNG converter 8.3 on my old netbook running on Win XP service pack 3.  The DNG prog seemed to be in working order but it didn't recognize my RW2 file extension on my raw files from my Panasonic Lumix DZ 50 (came out in January 2015).  I also have a Fujifilm X100T whose raw files have the extension .RAF.  I haven't tried converting a Fujifilm RAF file yet.  But if I'm understanding the specs right, if DNG converter 8.7 will run on a WIN XP service pack 3, I may be in luck with being able to convert my Fujifilm RAF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CORRECTION:  I meant to say  the name of the camera I'm trying to convert files from is a  Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50.  Why do they have such long strange names?  It seems to me ZS50 or Lumix ZS50 or Panasonic ZS50 should be enough.

CORRECTION to my earlier post:  I installed DNG 8.3 on WIN XP service pack 3, not pack 2.  The program itself worked fine - but didn't recognize my newer camera RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your camera requires DNG converter 8.8 as a bare minimum. The listing shows 8.8, 9.0. That indicates to me that there was preliminary support in 8.8, but you need at least 8.8. I don't know if the version difference is as critical for the DNG converter.  The 9.0 is for camera raw support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines