• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will there be color mismatch if In Camera Color setting is RGB and image is processed in Prophoto

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current advice is to use Prophoto color space as it provides the widest gammet.   Yet late model cameras only have two color settings available in their menus.  ie RGB & SRGB.  Wont this cause a color mismatch when printing images on home inkjet printers?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera settings are usually Adobe RGB and sRGB in my experience.  That colorspace setting is used when the camera writes out the JPG, not the colorspace when a raw file is produced, which is specific to the camera and something the camera profiles are created to handle. 

ProPhotoRGB can be the working colorspace in a color-managed application like Photoshop or Camera Raw and either of those applications will convert the image data from its original colorspace: sRGB, AdobeRGB, raw-specific, to the working colorspace of the application.  It is a good idea to also use a bit-depth of 16-bits, rather than 8-bits when using ProPhotoRGB as the working colorspace because it's a larger bag of colors so having more total color numbers is better.  

If you are saving an 8-bit format (like JPG) out of the color-managed application you probably want to convert the colorspace to sRGB then 8-bits, then save to the alternate format.  But if you are saving your work as a work-in-progress then keep it as a 16-bit, ProPhotoRGB image saved as TIF or PSD.

As far as printing a ProPhotoRGB image, through a combination of settings in Photoshop and the printer driver, the combination of PS and the printer should be covnerting from the working colorspace of ProPhotoRGB to the printer's colorspace.  Most printers actually expect sRGB or the printer's colorspace, which you can sometimes download a profile for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou "ssprengel" for your informative reply. I have experienced some Color mismatch when printing to my home inkjet printers, ( all pro quality). If the Monitor or Printer cant display or print the full Prophoto color space what is the end result.  As you are aware there is a limit to what a monitor can display and also printers print.  If I use Adobe 1998 as my workspace and make sure the image color space is Adobe 1998, 16bits as you also recommend, I do not experience any color shift. If I use Prophoto I do in the print image , & on minor occassions in the digital image screen display. I use several regularly calibrated monitors  of high quality & 4K res. I presumed the Color Shift  was maybe because  the ProPhoto color space conversion was not handled well by the printers. Using ProPhoto for digital images I have no problems except that sometimes exposing to the right when taking an image which is in majority white, I see some clipping of the highlights  fine detail, (1:1), that doesnt occur using Adobe 1998?. Maybe my workflow is the culprit. Obviously I wish to work with the utmost detail and transfer that fine detail to the printed image. I am open for any suggestiond you may have to overcome this problem.  I save my images as Tiff & PSD files as well as JPGs for web display.   I also take particular care when taking my images and use Xrite passport  using Xrites profies in Color balance. I also use a White Balance Refernce Card  on a seperate next image as a comparison, and as I do a great deal of my work in rainforests where the light is not direct, I usually shoot a variety of images using the In Camera Daylight, Cloudy & Shade settings, to assess the WYSIWYG. I do not use flash unless the lighting is too low for exposing Macro Slime Mold images. ( Nikon R1C1). I shoot with Nikon D500's. 

(Just to repaeat, I do not see this Color Shift or some light banding in Print when using Adobe 1998?). In Appreciation & Thanking you,

Ian Dodd CEO SDI Australia   www.kundabungkid.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thankyou "ssprengel" for your informative reply. I have experienced some Color mismatch when printing to my home inkjet printers, ( all pro quality). If the Monitor or Printer cant display or print the full Prophoto color space what is the end result.  As you are aware there is a limit to what a monitor can display and also printers print.  If I use Adobe 1998 as my workspace and make sure the image color space is Adobe 1998, 16bits as you also recommend, I do not experience any color shift. If I use Prophoto I do in the print image , & on minor occassions in the digital image screen display. I use several regularly calibrated monitors  of high quality & 4K res. I presumed the Color Shift  was maybe because  the ProPhoto color space conversion was not handled well by the printers. Using ProPhoto for digital images I have no problems except that sometimes exposing to the right when taking an image which is in majority white, I see some clipping of the highlights  fine detail, (1:1), that doesnt occur using Adobe 1998?. Maybe my workflow is the culprit. Obviously I wish to work with the utmost detail and transfer that fine detail to the printed image. I am open for any suggestiond you may have to overcome this problem.  I save my images as Tiff & PSD files as well as JPGs for web display.   I also take particular care when taking my images and use Xrite passport  using Xrites profies in Color balance. I also use a White Balance Refernce Card  on a seperate next image as a comparison, and as I do a great deal of my work in rainforests where the light is not direct, I usually shoot a variety of images using the In Camera Daylight, Cloudy & Shade settings, to assess the WYSIWYG. I do not use flash unless the lighting is too low for exposing Macro Slime Mold images. ( Nikon R1C1). I shoot with Nikon D500's. 

(Just to repaeat, I do not see this Color Shift or some light banding in Print when using Adobe 1998?). In Appreciation & Thanking you,

Ian Dodd CEO SDI Australia   www.kundabungkid.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines