• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP file failing to record changes from ACR

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an ongoing problem where I reopen a Canon .cr2 file in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) but the settings from when I have worked on the file in the past are not there when I reopen the file. I am not the only person having this problem. Please see

camera raw not reading previously saved XMP files

By opening .xmp files in Word, having changed the extension to .txt, and reading the information within I have discovered a difference in the .xmp files that don't work. The top lines of the files that don't work are

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 5.1.2">

The top lines of the .xmp files that do work are

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c128 79.159124, 2016/03/18-14:01:55 ">

It appears that somehow ACR is using two different versions of XMP Core to create the .xmp files. When the older one is used the program doesn't save the ACR data. I have verified this by looking down through the .xmp data. In an .xmp that doesn't work there are 57 lines of text when viewed in Word. In and .xmp that does work there are 285 lines of text when the .xmp is viewed in Word. The missing lines in the .xmp that doesn't work correspond to all the various items that can be adjusted in ACR.

I'm running PC 2017.1.1 or 20170425.r252 x64 depending on which part of the about Photoshop window I look at. I'm on a late 2015 iMac running Mac os 10.12.6. I suspect that the versions of Photoshop and the OS don't matter much as this problem has been reported for years on your forums. See the above link.

Might it be possible the problem is having multiple versions of Adobe Photoshop installed? I realize as I go to look at my Applications folder I have multiple older versions of Photoshop installed. Might ACR be finding the wrong version of XMP Core because of this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what's going on, but you can check to see if you have more than one version of ACR installed. The file is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins

I have one of CC and for CS6, but when I tried to open a file in CS6, it defaulted to the newer version of ACR, and would not open, as that version isn't supported by CS6. Have you tried resetting ACR preferences: press ctrl-alt-shift right after you double click to open a file - if you don't get a dialog box asking you if you want to reset your preference, you didn't press the keys fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

I removed all the older versions of Photoshop from the machine. It will take some time to know if that helps as the problem would only occur sporadically.

You apparently didn't read the section of my post where I specifically said I was running an Apple iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I missed that, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this bug is in the same category as I previously reported: ACR opens NEF without previously applied settings

I have the impression that ACR sometimes either has trouble reading XMP sidecar files, or (worse) writing them. It is very frustrating that nobody at Adobe seems to care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed on both. ACR seems to have trouble writing to XMP sidecar files and yes Adobe seems to have created this forum so we can all talk to each other an feel like we are doing something and so we don't feel as frustrated that they take our money every month and don't allow any sort of way of formally submitting bug reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It just happened again; I had been working on a quite complex image for about an hour. When I thought I was finished I opened it in Photoshop, and discovered that I had made a small mistake. Closed the photo in PS and reopened the NEF in ACR and it came up without any of the edits I made. I tried opening the XMP via the image settings menu; that seemed to work and it now contains the name of the XMP with a tick next to it, but still no edits in the image.

The XMP is 1.6MB (unedited files typically 2KB) so there must be data in it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines