Exit

A very simple project... pausing video... what is the EASIEST solution

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am testing Captivate to see if it meets my needs. The goal is simple:

10 minute video mp4

I need to pause the video, show some text and two buttons which will skip some sections, go to another project, assign variables etc. The second part is simple.

Trying the best way to accomplish the first one: pause the video when I show an object. I tried with a button and say 'pause untill a user clicks' but that allows a user to click somewhere else and 'skip'. I would prefer no overlay slides as they blurr the background.

What is the easiest way guys? I used to use Opus Creator which is way more sophisticated and allowed me to assign actions to all objects when they SHOW. Is it possible here please?

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the overlay slide has the same size as the video, the background is completely hidden. See:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-for-interactive-video

To pause a slide video (do not use event video) you can use an interactive object and trigger the command Pause. Maybe this interactive video can help:

Custom Play/pause buton

Use an advanced action to pause the video and to show what you want (previously hidden in output). Use a play button to have both the Continue command and to hide what you want to hide.

Have also a lot of posts about variables and advanced/shared actions, the point-and-click language which is converted to JS on runtime.

Pausing Captivate's timeline is one of the main topics which need to be understood:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/pausing-captivates-timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, not having anything in the background is even worse, so I cannot really use an overlay slide, there should be a very basic option how I want to show it, Captivate just does it for us, anyway - this is not going to work.

Your second option is ok but my question was a bi different -  I want to pause the video WITHOUT a user clicking on anything, I want my object that appears to pause the video automatically when it shows up. How can I apply an action to an object that appears on the screen please? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is that we talk a different language, I talk Captivate, you talk Opus Creator.... which I don't know at all.

I didn't say there was no background: background of an overlay slide will be the one you create on the content master slide, reeason why I offered you a first link but you have probably no time to look at it.

Overlay slides are the easiest way to do what you want, but you exclude them for reasons which are not clear to me. Each tool has its approach and workflows. 

The old approach with interactive video is to cut it in clips and insert a static slide in between the clips to show what you want.

There is a Delay Next actions command, which could also be used to time at a certain frame appearing after a number of seconds. However for long video, which needs time to load On Enter of the slide, figuring out the correct number of seconds. JS may be a better option, by adding events.

Will leave you to the JS experts. Have no time to learn the Opus Creator language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, yeah, I was a bit surprised how limited Captivate is when it comes to actions and objects, I remember a cool app Multimedia builder 15 years ago which offered these options 😉 Seriously...

It is not about an app you know... it is about some basic features. In Captivate you can decide what to do when you load a slide, correct? There is a way to assing an action when you enter and exit a slide. Awesome, however, can you see the same options for a button? No... Can you decide what happens when you move your mouse over an object? No. Maybe in Captivate 2020 🙂

I have to repeat that process 100x so I cannot really use a still frame, cut movies...

Will probably either use an overlay slide or look for another solution...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JavaScript would definitely be one way to achieve this.  Basically you need to add an event listener that detects the moment your button enters the timeline and then pauses the playback.

If you don't have access to someone with skills in JavaScript, another possible solution is to use the CpExtra HTML5 widget.  It has a function that allows you to add event listeners without having to learn JavaScript.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help/command-variables/events-and-ac...

Look for the heading: xcmndAddEventListener

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources