Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate 2019 Quiz with time limit and bookmarking

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi every one,

I hope someone better understands the issue I'm illustrating here and help me with a possible solution.

I have a Captivate 2019 Quiz with a time limit set on the entire quiz. I have created some user variables to control the quiz timing, and have used the "Execute JavaScript" action to show a count down timer on every question slide of the quiz. If the time limit is reached while a student hasn't finished answering all the question, the quiz jumps to the result slide where the student is shown the score obtained  in the time limit, and can report the score to our custom LMS. Up to this point everything works as expected.

Now here is the big issue I'm running into: I have a requirement that bookmarking should be turned on to take into account some unexpected events. For example, let assume there has been an abrupt internet disconnection or the student navigates away from the quiz by mistake while taking the quiz. When he/she returns back to the question, the quiz should resume from where they left. Again, this works perfectly fine, but the count down timer stops working even though the student can carry on with the quiz. I want the timer to keep working on resume of the quiz.

Is there an easy way to keep the timer to continue counting down when a student resumes from where they left taking into account the time that has elapsed during the interruption? This is the main issue I have been struggling with for a couple of days now. I have searched the internet, but I haven't found anything that addresses the current issue I'm facing. I should mention that I'm  new to Captivate and have no enough experience to tackle advanced issues like the one I'm having.

I would really appreciate if any one can guide me through and put me into the right direction.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the time remaining can be captured as a student answers a question and used as a starting time for the next question. So if there is an interruption, the student returns to the quiz with the remaining time memorised and used in the next question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't use the Timer widget but a custom soluion. How was that set up?

If you store the value of the elapsed time in a user variable, it could be possible to use Local Storage to store and retrieve that value. But that means that the learner needs to be on the same system. Whether value of user variables can be retrieved by the LMS, extracted from the transferred data depends on the LMS.  If it is possible retrieving the value in another session by the same learner will need some programming skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Lilybiri for your reply,

Yes, I don't use the timer widget, but a custom solution. Actually, the time limit comes from the LMS. So, when a student launches the quiz, I get the time duration set for that quiz and store it in a user variable that I pass through the rest of the quiz slides. I'll look into Local Storage, and see if that's possible. Once again, thanks for giving me a hint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources