• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate File Size

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a two-part question. I am working with Adobe Captivate for the first time, so I'm obviously making a lot of rookie errors, and now I'm stuck.

I have a project that is 122,229 KB, and when published for LMS, is 63,900 KB. I have made sure that any and all graphics are the smallest size possible, but it still takes a long time to load when accessed through the LMS. My first question is, what is the ideal file size for publishing to LMS? If necessary, I may have to break my presentation up into multiple modules so that they can be accessed easier, but I'm curious if there is an easier way to approach this before splitting it up.

My second part to the question: is there a way to tell Captivate to start playing the webinar while it is loading? When I tested it, it took almost 2 minutes to load the file which, in the world of online technology, is an eternity. I'm hoping there is a way to tell it to start playing the video while the remainder of the presentation is loading in the background.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Kristen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the forums. For your last question: you can reduce the Preloader % in Preferences, Project, Start&End. Its default value is 100% which means the whole project is loaded before playing. Also: avoid having a heavy first slide, no audio, no complicated actions etc.

There is no real ideal file size, because it depends on so many factors. Keep the resolution as low as possible, I mean the size in pixels. You talk about graphics: which type of graphics do you use. If you are on CP

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the forums. For your last question: you can reduce the Preloader % in Preferences, Project, Start&End. Its default value is 100% which means the whole project is loaded before playing. Also: avoid having a heavy first slide, no audio, no complicated actions etc.

There is no real ideal file size, because it depends on so many factors. Keep the resolution as low as possible, I mean the size in pixels. You talk about graphics: which type of graphics do you use. If you are on CP9, it accepts SVG's which in most circumstances have smaller file size than bitmap images. But it is not only the graphics that define the file size: also the number of slides, frames, audio and video clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Thank you! I changed the preloader, and when my supervisor tested it out, she said it loaded much faster!

I'm using mostly PNG files and JPEGs. I've been editing them in Photoshop to make them as small as possible. I do have a few videos in the presentation as well, and I don't have audio at the moment, but the intent is to have voiceover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure when preparing the images in PS to make them exactly at the needed size for Captivate, never resize them in Captivate.

Audio and video are much more important for file size than the graphics. If you can, try SVG. Last version of PS supports SVG output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KFont42 @Lilybiri Hi there, I, too, am trying to create my first captivate project. So far, I have created a demo project using unit 1.2. Now I am ready to begin the actual design.

Concerning this post, I should create eight captivate projects because there are eight modules with units/lessons OR one project? My fear is that the file size will become too large if all in one project?

I hope I am clear in my explanation. One project or create eight projects to represent each module?

I am going to be using an internal work LMS, so file size is significant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create 8 separate Captivate projects, one per module. Not only will it make the courses run smoother, but it will be easier to load into your LMS. Good luck with your project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @KFont42 I figured by now you would be able to see what worked best for people like me just getting started. Okay, I will proceed with that plan! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you create 8 modules and the LMS is capable of setting up the sequence of the modules, use that approach. You can also use the SCORM packager if that is not the case and include the 8 modules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources