Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate on a Silicon M1 Mac using Rosetta

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

I just wondered if anyone has tested Adobe Captivate on a silicon M1 mac using Rosetta? According to Apple, the Rosetta emulator should make any intel application work on the M1 Mac, however after previously upgrading to Big Sur and not being able to use Captivate for a period of time, I am waiting on an answer before I upgrade my Mac.

I have searched online and cannot find any info, and I chatted with Captivate support online and asked them two questions, to which I didnt really get any useful info. My questions to the Captivate team were:

1. Is a native version planned for the M1 macs? (I know the answer is most likely no)
  2. Has Captivate been tested on a M1 mac using Rosetta?

At first, the Captivate team simply pointed me to the minimum system requirements - which didn't really answer the specific questions I had. On asking further, as expected there is no planned native version for the M1. However, what I found surprising was that Adobe didn't know if Captivate worked on a M1 using Rosetta. They told me that it had not been tested by the Captivate team, and that there were no plans to test it! Strange to me, but there you go!

So I'm reaching out to the community! Has anyone used it on a M1? What are your experiences?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disappointing although I have to say not altogether surprising that the Captivate team hasn't tested their product on M1 using Rosetta 2. I bought an M1 Mini that is not going to be the machine I use for Captivate. When it arrives I'll throw captivate on it and test it side by side with my work machine, an Intel MacBook Pro. Watch this space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it came as a surprise too, especially the part where they said "we have no plans to test it using Rosetta" - although that could have been one person with wrong info.

If you can test it, that would be fantastic - thank you. I use my personal MacBook Pro as my work computer, because I don't want to use PC's at work, and want to upgrade to M1. So it would be the only machine I have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line, it worked pretty darn well. I installed Captivate version 11.5.5.678 on my Mac Mini M1 with 16 GB RAM running Big Sur 11.2.3.

I opened a 90-slide project with lots of media, HTML5 animations, a couple videos, audio and images on every slide. The project file size is 197MB. It opened in about 8 seconds, slightly faster than my Intel-based MPB running the same versions of MacOS and Captivate. There was no lagging or latency clicking around, copying/pasting items, duplicating slides or adding content. It was pretty impressive running on Rosetta I'd still say it was faster than my Macbook.

I created a blank project, copied all the slides from the original project and pasted them into the new project. It took under 10 seconds to copy and pasting was just a few seconds. Saving, publishing, and generating an HTML 5 preview all went pretty smoothly and I'd have to say a bit quicker than I'm used to with the Macbook. I didn't experience any freeze-ups, crashes of other issues, but of course I only messed with it for a short time.

So, yeah, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger. This machine is incredible. Apps optimized for M1 silicon are jaw-droppingly fast, and Captivate performance on Rosetta is solid to good. YMMV.

CW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant - thanks! I'm gonna get a MacBook Pro with the 16GB memory and M1 chip so should be pretty solid!

it's a shame Adobe seem to not care about Captivate and the M1 Mac and not even have a testing plan. It's like they're purposely trying to put themselves out of business. 

I really appreciate you getting back to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get this to work? I purchased the same spec you are talking about and when I open Captivate it just gives me the big black box. When going into "get info" there is no option to "open with Rosetta" as there should be. I made sure that Rosetta 2 is intalled via terminal. I'd love to hear if/how this worked for you.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't actually open Rosetta. It does everything in the background. Did you download the Captivate version for Big Sur? That may be your problem. You may have to hunt for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Captivate 2019 on a Silicon M1 Macbook Air for a month or more. Everything works great, except screen capture. When I've tried to screen capture, it looks like everything is working until you stop the capture and go back to the slides and then you see that it only captured the desktop - no icons or taskbar or anything else - just the image used for the background. 

I haven't used advanced actions or some of the other functionality, but all the basic stuff seems to work except for capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources