Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced Action - Used on Text Box Entry(s) not working

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Gurus - 

I am assigning an advanced action on three separate text_box_entry fields on three separate slides to validate the entry made matches a specific generic phone number. When I preview the project none of the advanced actions are working. I am adding screenshots to help explain my attempt. I am a beginner with captivate. Please forgive any lack of knowledge. Your help is very much appreciated.

A screen shot showing the selected text_box_entry selected, the text_box_entry properties and the advanced actions settings. 

text_box_entry_4 - advancedActions.png

Again - thank you for your help!

Howard

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Hi Howard, I cannot see if the Text Entry Box is validated, because you don't shoa the Style tab?

You just want to Continue when the variable has the correct phone number, no need for an Advanced action in that case. Just validate the TEB on the Style tab, enter the phone number as correct answer, set the Success action of the TEB to Continue. I don't know why you would need an advanced action.

Maybe have a look at this blog about basics for Text Entry Boxes:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/text-entry-boxes-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Howard, I cannot see if the Text Entry Box is validated, because you don't shoa the Style tab?

You just want to Continue when the variable has the correct phone number, no need for an Advanced action in that case. Just validate the TEB on the Style tab, enter the phone number as correct answer, set the Success action of the TEB to Continue. I don't know why you would need an advanced action.

Maybe have a look at this blog about basics for Text Entry Boxes:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/text-entry-boxes-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily -

Thank you for the response. Using the Style 'Validate User Input' was the first option I tried - it does not work. That is why I attempted Advanced Actions. 

text_box_entry_4_StyleSettings.png

Any other ideas I could try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should work perfectly, I am 100%sure. Did you read the blog post for which I sent a link?

Which action did you choose for the validated TEB On Success?  I just did see 'Continue' which is normally the default Success action for a validated TEB.  What do you exactly expect?

Can you also post a screenshot of the Timeline please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up all of the TEBs to use the Validate User Input. My intention is to auto advance the slides when the user entered the correctly formated phone number, without using a button. I put a smartshape on the slide guiding them to use the correct formatting to circumvent failure response, expired attempts, etc.  Too much work...lol

It is working as expected. I so appreciate your guidance, Lily! Grateful you are here...

Thank you!

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can replace 'Continue' by Go to Next Slide for Success on the validated TEBs, so that the playhead doesn't have to navigate the 'inactive' part of the TEB timeline.

If it is solved, could you mark an answer as correct to close the thread? The one which helped you most perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will do and thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources