• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any successful stories using a Captivate-created course during a virtual instructor-led training?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to get the most out of Captivate and am always curious about new tips and tricks. My understanding is Captivate is for the creation of media that will be consumed by single users (for example in an LMS or on a website). Are there any examples of Captivate-created content that has been used with live audience particiaption? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure that I understand what you are asking.

I always use Captivate to create a 'presentation' when I coach a webinar, workshop or training online. That presentation is set up so that it can easily be converted into an interactive tutorial as asset for the participants. That means mostly adding narration and explaining the interactivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Lilybiri 

Do you have an example to share from your website or elsewhere? 

The organization I create learning materials for is 'repurposing' content for self-paced courses in an LMS. Ideally, the content would be available to instructors to use during live virtural training and for invidiual learners in the LMS. 

Do you share your 'presentations' with other coaches or trainers? If so, how? 

I create PowerPoint presentations for instructor-led training and then use Captivate for self-paced learning. I'm curious if these presentations could be made in Captivate, distributed to trainers for virtual sessions, then modified with interactions or narration for an LMS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I hate PPT because that application started to be used for so many boring and inefficient presentations years ago.  I used Freelance and Harvard Graphics to present, which was before the release of PPT and those were a lot better, but have been killed by MS.

That may be another reason why I always use Captivate also for presentations,  and/or training. Every webinar I ever presented for Adobe or others had such a presentation. The one I used for my recent workshop at the AEW2021 is still available in the eLearning community.

In my blog you may find some which I converted to an online tutorial, started as a presentation. Here is an example, which was planned for a presentation, but they changed my topic to another one shortly before that conference. I just put it online, but it could have been on a LMS:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/using-cpquizinfoanswerchoice-for-survey-conversion-from-swf-to-html

It is really not that hard to convert such a Captivate presentation to a tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to your question is YES, but it's not currently possible with default Captivate functionality.

As Lilybiri states, Captivate is designed for creation of course modules that a single user would consume, not multiple users all consuming and interacting with the same module.  For one thing, most LMSs would not be able to accommodate this because the LMS wants to track each user's interaction separately.

However, I happen to have inside knowledge that Tristan Ward from Infosemantics.com.au has been working with two separate clients who have engaged his services to create custom solutions to achieve what you describe. 

Each of these clients runs courses for multiple students at the same time.  Each student opens a Captivate module from their LMS, but the modules are also simultaneously communicating with another web-based database (Google Firestore) reporting the student actvity to enable them to all collaborate.  The instructor can see what everyone is doing in real time.

I need to emphasise that each of these solutions is customised to the requirements of the clients.  So this is not something that you can just purchase "off-the-shelf".  But it IS cutting edge and very cool to watch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very interesting @RodWard. Is there a demo available to see this in action? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but no.  As mentioned above, these are customised solutions for individual clients.  It's not something like a widget that you just purchase and plug into your own courseware.  It takes many hours of professional programming time.  If you believe you have a budget for something like this you can contact the developer direct from the Infosemantics website at: www.infosemantics.com.au/contact/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources