• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Assigning negative or penalty points to click boxes?

Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm working on a slide where the user has several image choices, all assigned a clickbox that changes states views, that are answers to the question. A few of the images are correct so I've assigned them point values, however I would like to assign negative points to the clickboxes over the the incorrect images. So if the user selects the wrong image it will count against their total point value for the quiz. Is there a way to assign a penalty to a click box?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I would do this by decrementing the variable that is assigned to that particular question.

Basically...

++varQuestion1; 

for all of the click boxes that are correct

or

--varQuestion1;

for all of the click boxes that are not correct

For your success actions, you should find both an increment and a decrement action.

If you require more things to happen than just incrementing or decrementing, you'll need to create an advanced action.

I also like to craft my own quiz things rather than use the built in quiz slides. They are often too restrictive. So if you are using one of those - this may not be workable - not 100% sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I've never used the increment or decrement actions. I had a little trouble finding information on them, do you happen to know some good resources I could utilize to try these actions out?

Thank you for the info about the variables. It seems like something that would be useful once I learn how to apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess I am not aware of a specific reference.

But think of increment and decrement as  increase and decrease.

In either case you get to decide by how much so if you want something to have a 5 point value you can increment by 5 or if you want it to be 500 you can increment by that much.

It does increase the logic required because you will have to create your own user variables and work all the actions accordingly based on the possible choices the student might make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important question: do you want the score to be included in the Quiz score or not?

Out of box penalty is only possible for default Quiz slides. Penalty is impossible for scored objects. A MCQ can be using images as answers:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/mcq-slides-with-images-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the score to be included in the quiz so I believe that's a viable solution for some of our slides. Thank you for your feedback and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will be difficult if you use user variables. The quizzing system variables are read only. You can attach a score to a click box or another interactive object, but it is impossible to edit that score bu decrementing and incrementing. That is the reason why I posted that link.  Custom questions are great but you lose a lot of the inbuilt functionality of the default questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources