• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

associating unique quiz failure messages with multiple choice selections in a quiz

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am running Captivate 2019 and have a multiple choice quiz with 4 selections: (a), (b), (c), and (d). There is only one correct repsonse for the quiz, so there are 4 answers, 3 attempts, and 3 failure messages. I would like to have each incorrect selection display a unique failure message. I assumed that the error message for each response is associated with only that response, but what I am finding is that the failure messages display in a set pattern. For example, if a I set (a) as the correct answer and run the quiz, I get the same sequence of failure message---b, d, and c---regardless of which order of answers I select. (I tried all 6 combinations of incorrect selections of b, d, and c and get the same pattern of display of error messages.)

How do I associate a unique failure message for each wrong selection?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Some important info is missing: are you talking about a MCQ with ONE or with MULTIPLE correct answers?

In the first situation (one correct answer) you can use the Advanced Answer feature, which allows to show a dedicated message for each answer. You will need to use the individual Properties panel for each answer, tab Options.

AdvAnswer.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some important info is missing: are you talking about a MCQ with ONE or with MULTIPLE correct answers?

In the first situation (one correct answer) you can use the Advanced Answer feature, which allows to show a dedicated message for each answer. You will need to use the individual Properties panel for each answer, tab Options.

AdvAnswer.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. In the Properties panel for my quiz, I do not see the option "Show Feedback Message." Is that available in an update to Captivate? I am currently running Captivate 2019 (11.5.499). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, you are not on the most recent release which was 11.5.5.553 (although today a subbscription only 11.8 is released).

However you didn't read nor watch the screenshot correctly. That option is NOT in the Quiz Properties, but in the Properties panel of the selected individual answer. In the screenshot you'll see that is from the panel 'Properties', not from 'Quiz Properties'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, btw: my quizzes will have only one correct answer, no suffling or partial scoring of answers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here below is what I am seeing in the Properties tab when I select an incorrect answer. 

2021-12-17_12-25-34.jpg

 I do not see the "Show Feed Back" checkbox option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the only type of question where you can use Advanced Answers.

Your screenshot shows the Properties of a message, not of an answer. You need to select each answer separately and find the Options tab in its Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh! Finally got it---thanks for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it possible to mark a corrcct answer to close the thread and help other users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources