• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Captivate 2019 import Powerpoint slides without crashing?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Captivate cannot successfully import a Powerpoint presentation and convert it into a Captivate file, then why is the option available?  I am using the trial version. After two weeks of failure, I am ready to give up.

Since I am working from home for now, I have the time to practice turning a Powerpoint into an elearning training class.

I will not purchase the software if it does't work for my purposes.

I am posting to the Community because customer support will not respond to questions about a trial version.

I was hoping the newest version fixed that problem. Below is a photo of where it freezes in the process.

Thanks.Captivate_FreezeScreen.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only want a PPT converter,  not a full-featured eLearninng authoring tool, you'd better look at a PPT plugin like iSpring or Adobe Presenter. PPT conversion is not the strongest feature of Captivate. Why you don't want to keep the aspect ratio when importing is bit of a mystery to me... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In response to your comment above: Since the screen froze there, I couldn't change anything or move forward.

I did finally find the solution on a community posting for a previous version.

Answer: Save your Powerpoint file as a .ppt (not.pptx) BEFORE you try to import it into Captivate.

Although techinically Captivate is upposed to convert the file for you before importing it, it did not work. The screen froze during the process (see screenshot above).

Conclusion: Importing your powerpoint slides is not that useful because they are not editable. Most of the graphics and special features are lost. So for my large, complex powerpoint presentations (e.g. 50 and 85 slides) with animations, it is not worth my time to redo them from scratch. My work will purchase Storyteller 3 for this purpose.

However, I will create a new presentation from scratch on a different topic to test the software before I commit to purchasing it.  TIP: Watch the tutorial on Lynda.com (now part of Linked in. Captivate is NOT intuitive and the tutorial made all the difference.

Note: Creating e-learning is not my job and I am an amateur. However, I am resisting using plain powerpoint slides as e-learning courses for safety compliance training. This is definitely a do-it-yourself effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One slight correction:  Captivate has never truly 'converted' PPT slides and objects into Captivate slides and objects. What it does is simply turn the PPT slides into static images that are then used as a background for the Captivate slides.   The PPT slide deck actually gets encapsulated inside the CPTX file and can be edited (after a fashion) from within Captivate.  You can also maintain a linkage to the original PPT file outside of the Captivate file and perform updates.  It's known as 'round-tripping'.

However, the fact that 'conversion' doesn't really happen is a distinction that many Captivate users are not aware of when they purchase the software, and I have some sympathy for them because the Adobe marketing blurb about Captivate tends to gloss over how this approach will severely limit the e-learning designer's authoring process. 

Some other apps such as Storyline and iSpring do indeed convert PPT slides into native objects that can then be edited in their own application.  But then it's a one-way trip and you cannot go back the other way to convert their project into a PPT again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed information about Powerpoint and Captivate. Captivate is useless for creating e-learning courses based on Powerpoint files, to my disappointment.

Unfortunately, Storyline is PC only and I have a Mac. At work our department has both, so I'm urging my manager to buy it for converting existing training presentations into an interactive course.

It will take too much of my spare time to recreate a large complex powerpoint file already being used for online learning in Captivate.

Adobe needs to make this clear to software purchasers before they purchase it or try it out. I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work.

I hope to extend my trial so I can create a new project that can be converted into SCORM. Captivate is very customizable which is great, but requires a longer time to learn it. So, I'm still considering whether it is worth it, as I will need to pay for it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How were you able to convert the file to a .ppt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot convert a Captivate CPTX file to a PPT or PPTX file.  That's not an export or publish or Save As option with Captivate.  

Even when creating a CPTX by starting with a PPT the PowerPoint file does not really get converted into Captivate format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources