• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make a slide hidden in TOC when its hidden on filmstrip

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a project that's a training template and then a chapter each for a bunch of diff states. I want to hide all the state chapters except for one and publish it and then wash rinse repeat - It seems like common sense that if I hide it in the filmstrip that change will be echoed in the TOC - but it's not! The TOC never updates and it will continue to show hidden slides unless you uncheck manually each time. Is there a way to get the TOC to automatically update to whatever is shown on the filmstrip and not add a step each time?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you refresh the TOC after hiding slides?

ResetTOC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking refresh on the TOC defaults to every single slide being shown in the table of contents, including all hidden slides. I have over 70 hidden slides in 7 chapters, and while I can hide whole chapters by clicking on the group instead of individual slides in the TOC, it's time consuming to have to do this for each one and has led to mistakes at publishing where some aren't re-hidden after refreshing. I want to know if there's a way to keep hidden slides off of the TOC, after refreshing, without having to manually click them all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to manage the slides that appear in the TOC is just to leave refreshing the TOC as one of the last things you do in your development cycle.

If you hide a slide in the Filmstrip it doesn't get published and therefore automatically doesn't appear on the TOC.  But I think what you are saying is that you want the slide to be published but simply not get put back on the TOC when you refresh it, is that right?  Unfortunately there is currently no way to do that (but feel free to request it as an enhancement if you want).

What I do is name all slides that I do NOT want to be in the TOC with a name that starts with a very identifiable previx, e.g. XXX.  Then when I refresh the TOC and look at the list of slides I can very easily see the ones that need to be deselected.  It only takes me a minute, and I only need to do this for a final time when doing my last-minute edits and quality checks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply -

It sounds like there may not be a way to do what I want. Lets say I have 3 main chapters: 1, 2, 3. 

Then I have a CT chapter and LA chapter. 

I will be publishing 3 scorm files from this captivate file. scorm 1 has ch 1, 2, 3, and CT. scorm 2 has ch 1, 2, 3. scorm 3 has ch 1, 2, 3, and LA. In my case I have 15 scorm files I publish from the 1 captivate file.

When I publish each one I go into the timeline and hide the chapters I dont need, show the ones I do. Then I refresh the TOC and then have to go through and hide each state chapter I dont want.

I was wondering if there's some way captivate can be made to just automatically reflect the changes of hiding/showing dine in the timeline on the TOC when I refresh instead of defaulting to showing everything, even if it's hidden on the timeline. This would save me a lot of button pushing and a lot of little mistakes that slip through since we have a lot of content that we publish fed and multiple state versions of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure I understand you when you say you will be publishing 3 different SCORMs from a single Captivate project file.  That's not really the way Captivate is designed to work.

Each CPTX is intended to produce only one SCO.

I can see how you are organising things but a couple of things you might not have considered are that if these are actually different SCORMs then they should also really have different settings in the SCORM manifest dialog each time you change things around.  Not just alter the TOC.

The other problem with hiding slides in the filmstrip is that if those slides are connected to any Advanced Actions or Conditional Actions in the project then the affected actions will revert to defaults (usually just the Continue action) which can mean your navigation actions do not function as intended.

Personally I think the TOC needing to be refreshed is likely to be the least of your worries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources