• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't change the short answer quiz response box from being in front of a smart shape

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate 2019, I'm a beginner.

I am planning a bunch of short answer quizzes in my project. This module has two so I ran into the problem where the results slide totals both quizzes instead of having individual results for each quiz. I solved this with the first quiz (multiple choice) by having a popup shape on the last question that gives people options and that worked ok. When it gets to the last question on the second quiz (short answer), again I made a smart shape pop up after the person answers that gives them choices to start the module over, look at the answer key etc but I can't move the short answer field behind the pop up. There are a couple of elements that had this same issue where they were on top (the questions 1 of 1 and response area) but I just moved things around so it wouldn't conflict. On the short answer quiz, there isn't anywhere I can move the response box where it doesn't look bad. I'm attaching pictures of the project with timeline and what it looks like when after the popup pops up.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

You are very new to Captivate, understand that you don't get what I try to explain. It is rather adventurous to start with a Fluid Boxes project before understanding basics of Captivate. Each Slide in Captivate is based on a master slide. In a Fluid Boxes project you need to take into account the setup of the quizzing master slides, which have lot of fluid boxes. A full explanation I tried to give in this blog post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-for-fluid-quiz-slides

Did you even try to previe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I don't see a link between the screenshots and your question. 

You are in a responsive project with fluid boxes, but I see a lot of shapes which are not in any fluid box? Each quiz slide is based on a master slide, and that master slide has a setup with fluid boxes. 

Are you really talking about a default short answer question? The screenshots seem to show a custom question, not a regular short answer question. For the default quiz slides all embedded objects are always on top of custom added objects. Embedded objects do not have an individual timeline, although they will be in the default fluid boxes setup of the master slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The master slide is responsive, that's on the bottom of the timeline. I made the smart shapes unlocked from the fluid box because I wanted them to show up over the question once the question was answered. 

Is there a way I can make it pop up in front of the short answer response box? 

I don't really know what you mean by default short answer vs custom question. I added a question slide and chose fill in the blank. I have altered the Master Slides from the Blue Veracity Theme. I'll make all the smart shapes invisible and attach another picture of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very new to Captivate, understand that you don't get what I try to explain. It is rather adventurous to start with a Fluid Boxes project before understanding basics of Captivate. Each Slide in Captivate is based on a master slide. In a Fluid Boxes project you need to take into account the setup of the quizzing master slides, which have lot of fluid boxes. A full explanation I tried to give in this blog post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-for-fluid-quiz-slides

Did you even try to preview that slide in different browser resolutions? Maybe you'll see what I mean, what will happen with those custom buttons when you change the browser resolution to a phone resolution, to portrait mode.

You cannot have multiple custom shape buttons floating around, they will also always be under the embedded quiz objects.  That is the rule for all quiz slides, both in non-responsive and responsive projects. The embedded objects  (have no individual timeline) will always be on top of custom objects. Since your custom objects are not in a fluid box, how did you position them? 

My recommendation would be to keep the default question slide setup, insert a normal slide after the quiz slide and set it up with fluid boxes to have your custom objects on that slide.

In the title you talk about Short answer, now you talk about Fill-in-the-Blank, but the screenshot shows a short answer question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did say I was a beginner. This is my first project. I have been trying to learn about Fluid boxes, I'm having a tough time. I have been previewing every slide in the different sizes but I hadn't gotten to that on this slide yet because I couldn't get it to work even in the desktop size.

Thanks to your answer, I now understand that what I was trying to do is not possible, ie nothing can go over this short answer block. That is the answer I was looking for. I apologize for confusing the wording of fill in the blank, and short answer, again, I'm a beginner and trying to learn. 

I will take your advice to make a new slide. I realize now that the reason I didn't originally think that would work before was because I didn't understand something else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You accepted my recommendation without accusing me of being condescendent as so often happens. Thanks for that! My real concern is to help you out with problems.  Fluid Boxes workflows are not at all easy, I remember that it took me a couple of months to get comfortable with them notwithstanding my years of experience with Captivate (look at my blog, which has focus mostly on advanced Captivate).

Question is: do you really need to start with a Fluid Boxes project? For a basic training of 4 days (live) I never include Fluid Boxes, but keep that for a follow up training. Basics can be easier acquired with non-responsive projects: Timeline (you seem to have acquired already some skills there), Quizzing and Themes. For each of those topics I do have a list with links to blogs. Not everything is possible to learn from passive videos which are great for step-by-step workflows for very specific situations. Here is a link to the Quiz overview blog:

Quiz Resources - eLearning (adobe.com)

The pdf with links has both basic and advanced articles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, it never occured to me to NOT use fluid boxes but in retrospect that's probably what I should have done! Thank you for the resouces!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand, that is the result of the marketing hype about Fluid Boxes. Many new users believe that every project should be created with Fluid Boxes, and ignore that this not the case and ignore as well the many limitations imposed by those fluid boxes projects: no stacking of objects except in static fluid boxes, main master slide is useless, you cannot time objects for the rest of the slide etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I have a project with some slides that have fluid boxes and some slides that have none?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It will be a responsive project with Fluid Boxes. But you can have some slides to be set up with the Position Properties, similar to the Breakpoint Views workflow. Here is a blog where I explain it for an interactive video slide, which is impossible with Fluid Boxes, because you cannot have a slide video in such a fluid box:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fluid-boxes-and-interactive-video-position-properties-panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources