• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you have a preloader that pauses html5 while assets load in the background?

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a 70+ slide course that has quite a bit of video. I am publishing as scaleable HTML5. I see there is a preloader option, but can this apply to html5? I want to preload media assets before the user gets too far along in the course. Is this possible? Or is this an option for swfs only?

Thanks in advance for your help, I am using Captivate2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Indeed, preloader is only functional for SWF output.

The big difference for HTML5 output (which is like a website) is that not every asset is loaded when you have started the course (contrary to SWF output). Audio and video files need to be loaded On Enter for each slide where they occur. This means that your goal would not be reached just by having a longer preloading. Improvements to long waiting times can be done by keeping video and audio short (distribute over multiple slides), by leaving a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing further research, it appears that the preloader is only for swfs. Has anyone discovered a workaround for html5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, preloader is only functional for SWF output.

The big difference for HTML5 output (which is like a website) is that not every asset is loaded when you have started the course (contrary to SWF output). Audio and video files need to be loaded On Enter for each slide where they occur. This means that your goal would not be reached just by having a longer preloading. Improvements to long waiting times can be done by keeping video and audio short (distribute over multiple slides), by leaving a gap before the audio timeline if you use slide audio, never put heavy video/audio on the first slide, resizing video to the wanted resolution before inserting, keeping settings as low as acceptable to reach a sufficient quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources