Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Captivate 2019 Checkboxes

Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not done advanced actions in a while so this will probably seem like a simple problem.

I have two acknowledgement checkboxes at the end of a lesson.  Both of these checkboxes must be selected then the Lesson Completion button will appear for them to select to get credit for the training.  I've got the check box states created but now how to I make the student select both checkboxes before getting credit.

Thanks,

Susan

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

OK. You'll need two user variables, I will label them v_one and v_two. They will be used as Booleans, you can give them a default value of 0 although that is not really necessary. 

The advanced action will need two decisions.

First decision 'Always' is very simple, standard:

Toggle v_one                                    will have to be changed to v_two for the other button

Disable bt_1                                     will have to be changed to bt_2 for the other button

Second decis

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Do you have two advanced actions, the second one with the changes I described?

Can you show a screenshot of the advanced action for one button? Use the Preview window, to show all at once. You open that Preview window with the first button on the top control panel of the Advanced Actions dialog box (looks like an arrow):

PreviewButton.PNG

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the checkboxes?  That detail would be somewhat important to this question.

The usual method involves User Variables (tracking which checkboxes are selected) and at least one Conditional Advanced Action to determine whether both checkboxes were selected.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the checkboxes using states. The visited state shows a check in the box.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bit tricky since you are using states. Visited inBuilt state will indeed appear when the checkbox is clicked, but you have to consider also the situation where the learner clicks again and than the checkbox should look 'unclicked'. That is not possible with the Visited state. This means that you will need a variable anyway. Or - not so user friendly alternative -  you need to disable the button when it is clicked once. Is that acceptable?  Or do you want to leave the freedom to click the checkbox multiple times? I will provide you with an advanced (or shared) action when I have an answer to this question.

More about InBuilt states in this blog post:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/button-states-basics-and-tips

BTW notifications are off, I never saw your original question. Suppose you got my mail?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable the button once it is clicked and the check remains.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. You'll need two user variables, I will label them v_one and v_two. They will be used as Booleans, you can give them a default value of 0 although that is not really necessary. 

The advanced action will need two decisions.

First decision 'Always' is very simple, standard:

Toggle v_one                                    will have to be changed to v_two for the other button

Disable bt_1                                     will have to be changed to bt_2 for the other button

Second decision is a conditional one

IF v_one is equal to 1  AND

v_two is equal to 1

Show Bt_Complete

Use the On Enter action of the slide to Hide Bt_Complete. Careful with the pausing points: same for the three buttons is OK.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm obviously doing something wrong. When I click the first checkbox it shows the completion button and doesn't let you select the second checkbox.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have two advanced actions, the second one with the changes I described?

Can you show a screenshot of the advanced action for one button? Use the Preview window, to show all at once. You open that Preview window with the first button on the top control panel of the Advanced Actions dialog box (looks like an arrow):

PreviewButton.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my problem is I tried to make it in one AA.
[cid:a7f1283d-1aa4-4f21-ae19-5413ee471c5a]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot attach projects here.

Either you need two duplicate advanced actions, where you change the indicated items (v_one, bt_1) in the first decision to v_two and bt_2 for the second advanced action. The second decision can remain but bt_1 and bt_2 need a different advanced action. I didn't want to explain it with shared actions because the gain is too little for only two checkboxes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. So what do I attach the conditional action to or do I do each of the buttons with a different action and the conditional? should each look like this with the button name change?
[cid:48d0d201-649a-49ae-8a72-5aedb07afb6f]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much it seems to be working. Sorry I'm so thick when it comes to Advanced Actions.

Years ago I contracted with you to help me build a game and it went over great.

Thanks again,
Susan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do remember, Susan! Glad you got it working this time as well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an advanced action with a standard and a conditional decision, to be attached to the Success event of the two checkboxes which are images or shapes used as buttons (since you have an InBuilt Visited state). Set the attempts to Infinite, so you'll not need a Last Attempt action.

AdInterGray.PNG

This is the first decision for the second checkbox:

AAGray.PNG

The Second decision (labeled it here as ShowMessage) is the same as for the first checkbox.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines