• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 Closed Caption

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project where I've set up the CC for Project.  However, the actual CC when it plays changes font sizes.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

I would say your issue is 100% due to the fact that pasting text from anything other than a plain text editor into Captivate is just asking for exactly the kind of trouble you are experiencing. 

Pasting directly from MS Word will run the danger of including certain proprietary Microsoft formatting characters that will be invisible except for the fact that they screw up your formatting here and there.

The problem is very easy to avoid.  Just paste plain text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying into MS Word and pasting into Captivate from there is not going to help.  If you use any app for stripping out formatting it should be a simple plain text editor such as Notepad or similar.

When pasting into the CC line items, I would also suggest deleting the problematic lines and replacing them before pasting in the plain text.

If all else fails, you may have a corrupted project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard...I am cautiously optimistic that changing the font and when possible limit to two short or one "normal" sentence per CC has actually solved the problem...I changed to Tahoma 12 and all but 1 slide I needed to take a single CC line and split it into two. 

I will let you all know if that solved my problem... I now know the pitfalls for using a Responsive Project - when it will not be used in that manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same issue - I use Calibri 14 for all of my projects...and this just seemed to have started over the last 6-8 months...My project started as a blank project - built a few slides out - added Software Simulation...manually entered all Slide Notes...some slides with just one line of CC will show small (12 is my guess, maybe 11)...two slides later there will be a slide with 3 lines of CC...Line one will be correct...line 2 will be small...line 3 will be correct.  There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to this. 

I tried copying the offending CC line into word - format, and repaste...nope...I tried reducing the font size from 14 to 12.  Everytime I test something I make sure to makje the changes to CC at the project level and to Override slide settings...

Another developer on the same project is having the same issue...

Has anyone been able to determine a common cause or solution to this strange occurance?

Rachel

By @combsra

Word I beleive is your issue. Copy your Word, paste into notepad or another ASCII/text editor that offers no formatting options, then copy from that into Captivate.

I have found if I do NOT use a Notepad text in the captions, bad things happen. Notepad is your friend here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried MS Word, Notepad, and Wordpad.  All with the exact same outcome. I have to go through every slide, with my captions enabled, and find the faulty ones.  Then go back and cut it into two different captions, or sometimes it works with deleting the caption and making a new one by typing it manually in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys ive had this problem for months now. I work on multiple elearning courses for the airforce. All my course writers put their narration in MS Word for me. I copy and paste it in my courses. 90% of the time it works flawlessly without the font size changing. When the font size does change, i have to manuallly type the CC in there, and its fixed. Its 100% some kind of bug with the program. BTW ive tried pasting it in other programs setting the font size, and type to the exact same as in captivate with no different results. Its just a pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say your issue is 100% due to the fact that pasting text from anything other than a plain text editor into Captivate is just asking for exactly the kind of trouble you are experiencing. 

Pasting directly from MS Word will run the danger of including certain proprietary Microsoft formatting characters that will be invisible except for the fact that they screw up your formatting here and there.

The problem is very easy to avoid.  Just paste plain text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - that is exactly what caused the issue for us.  Thanks so much for the insight.  Copying and pasting from Notepad worked perfectly - even with publishing in scaled HTML5.  It's a bit of a pain but it's better than manually entering each slide note.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources