• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 - Deployed course not consistently marking complete. Works fine in SCORM Cloud.

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our clients recently deployed a large scale, multiple module project. Many of their users are complaining that the course is not marking complete for them on the LMS, though it doesn't seem to be consistent. Many have tested on the same LMS and it marks complete fine.

We have tested thoroughly on SCORM Cloud and can't recreate the issue.

Currently, each module is published using SCORM 1.2 and success to mark complete is set to 100% of slides being viewed.

Is there anything within Captivate that would cause this inconsistency? Any possible solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually partly a design flaw caused by using 100% slide completion, and partly user error.

Requiring 100% slide completion can get you into trouble because many users bail out on the slide that tells them they've passed the course when what you really want is for them to play the course right to the very last slide.

This is also why you usually find this type of error hard to reproduce.  You'd have to sit and watch these users all the way through the course to know what they did wrong.

A safer setting is to have completion and pass/fail awarded by some kind of user interaction, eg. passing the quiz or clicking some button that is right at the end of each module.

If you don't want to go with changing the settings, then you can try being VERY specific about the need to play all slides in the course all the way to the end.  Put you generally find at least SOME people don't read those instructions and you still get complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's odd is that in our case, that'd mean users are bailing out while being asked a question, which seems unlikely.  The SCOs all have a question as the second to last screen (and no way of knowing it is the last question), and a "Congrats" screen as the last screen.

It'd be weird for that many users to bail while actively being asked questions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then there has to be some way that users can skip at least one slide while doing the course.

The easiest way to find out if the issue IS due to skipping slides is just to change the course completion criteria to something else and see if the problem goes away.  If you don't like my suggestion of asking them to click a button, you could just try reducing the number of slides to 95% or something and see if that resolves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue as well on Captivate 2019 for compliance courses we just rolled out with completion based on 98% of slides being viewed. The purpose of not using a score is that we want the course marked complete whether the learner passed or failed. That said, two out of hundreds of people reported the course not being marked complete. I was able to replicate the issue if I stepped through the course clicking Next and moving forward even before the slides finished playing. I passed the quiz so I ended with 100% quiz score but an 'incomplete' course. I then stepped through clicking Play and waiting for every slide to complete playing before moving forward and the course was marked complete. I guess the 'x% slide views' flag is checking to see that the slides play to completion before Captivate considers that slide to be 'viewed.' This is a guess based on my replication of the issue. Going forward I will check to be sure that the slides are set up to be about 1 second long in the timeline (unless they contain audio) to be sure that the 'viewed' more closely matches my expectation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a good idea, 1 second, will cause you lot of problems, and you may still have problems. Reason is that not eveery LMS considers a slide to be viewed when it is entered, but when all the frames have been visited. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you've used these settings on multiple LMS' and I'm only familiar with how this is functionin in LearnUpon. Is it the Captivate settings or the LMS that determines what the Captivate flag '% slide views' means in terms of 'visited' or 'played all the way through'? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is the LMS behavior. CpExtra (not free, from InfoSemantics) could allow you to fix the problem because one of its features helps you force slides to be set to visited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieve is referring to this product: About CpExtra - Infosemantics Pty Ltd

And here is the HELP page that talks about the feature which allows you to force completion of slides: Command Variables | CpExtra Help (widgetking.github.io)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rod, for the follow up and the link to information on force completion of slides. My manager will find it very helpful to see the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I didn't know that. Thank you so much Lilybiri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've recently run into an issue where if the student leaves the course, then comes back and completes 100% it does not give completion. I put this JavaScript on slide enter of the last slide to mke sure it goes complete.

SCORM_SetCompleted();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a perfect and very simple solution. Thank you so much TLC Media Design for this script. I will add it to the enter action of the last slide for all of my courses. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources