• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 - I need lots of vertical scrolling text

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a project delivered in HTML5 on a desktop computer, I will need at least one slide to be 3200 pixels tall to accommodate a large amount of vertical scrolling text.  This project will be an entire high school English course. The students will be selecting from a pair of short stories, will read it, and then answer some questions about the story. I would rather not break the story into dozens of slides or make students leave Captivate, read a PDF, and come back 30 minutes later to answer questions.  How do I present a large amount of vertically scrolling text on a single page? The only vertical scroll bar text widget I can find is a tiny box that will not accommodate a 1200 word short story.

Any creative solutions are welcome as I am only in the planning phase at this time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Use a Web Object and put the text into an HTML web page that gets displayed in the Web Object on a slide.

The advantage of this approach is that you can put as much text as you want into the HTML page and you can also format the text using CSS.  The scrolling text interaction doesn't allow either of these freedoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only interaction possible is Scrolling Text, but I'm not sure how many text it can accomodate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a Web Object and put the text into an HTML web page that gets displayed in the Web Object on a slide.

The advantage of this approach is that you can put as much text as you want into the HTML page and you can also format the text using CSS.  The scrolling text interaction doesn't allow either of these freedoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much... I will try your solution as soon as I get the chance.  It sounds like exactly what I need!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say, to put the text into an HTML web page, do you mean that we need to create a webpage specifically for that text?  Would an HTML5 file be enough, or does it actually have to be loaded onto the web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to be delivering the project as HTML5 anyway the web page that is playing in this Web Object might as well be HTML5 too, otherwise you might have issues with mobile browsers not reading it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a little lost. I know how to write HTML5 and CSS code, but not sure how to get it here.  Do I need to upload the file to an existing site and then put the URL into the web object or is there a way to put that code file directly into the presentation?  I have not been able to find a tutorial that explains this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in addition, I have tried testing a few things.  I created a blank slide and added a Web object to which I tried both, embedding code and adding a web address.  Both show on the edit mode but when I preview, nothing shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figured out why the html wouldn't show in preview - needed to preview in a browser.  Thanks for the help!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to wrap buttons (link for other slides) in a vertical scrollable box? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please start a new thread, because this seems to be a totally different topic.

What do you mean exactly by 'wrap' buttons?  You can have hyperlinks in a text container, but buttons is a totally different item. What is the goal of those buttons? Which version are you using (Help, About Captivate)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources