• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 is frequently "Not Responding".

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Googled (and tried the various fixes suggested e.g. clearing the cache, renaming the Captivate folder etc.) but the issue persists. I understand that this has been a problem with Captivate 8 (and possibly older versions too). Anyone has any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell what you tried already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this to the most frustrating thing about Captivate - I have noticed the regularity of Captivate Not Responding when using Version 8 and 9. As an instructor I am almost embarrassed each time it happens in class and can offer my students no solution to this problem. For example in my class of 6 today every person was regularly getting Captivate Not Responding when changing preferences, attempting to save or change a set up in the application

It really looks bad on the application and the fact that it is further exacerbated by the fact that I can find no support from Adobe to answer or resolve this problem.

I also have done all you have outlined in your BDuckWorks post to no avail on all of my training machine setups. This happens on Win 7 and 8.1.

It generally leads to student comments such as perhaps we won't purchase Captivate to maybe the alternative is Storyline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of these computers running on a corporate network?  If so, there could be something about your environment that is causing this issue.

Have you verified that all Default Locations in Preferences point to local folders on the user's hard drive?

Are any of the project files you are working on located on a network drive or virtualised My Documents?  If so, move them immediately to your local hard drives and work on them there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to all of the questions.

I have ensured that all of the actions that you outline are part of my standard install.

Training machines run local off network when training taking place

All preferences point to local hard drive location

All project files and course files are loaded on c drive of computers.

I

What is also amazing is that I am currently working on a laptop writing this response that has 16 gigs ram 1 tb hard drive, i7 chip set machine 6 months old win 8.1 and when running Captivate 9  am getting the same results. Captivate 9 not Responding

Frustrating and perplexing - any further suggestions fully appreciated.

By the way this Not responding was also prevalent in version 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to disconnect your computer from the network (unplug it) entirely?  If so, does that make any difference?

I have heard many MAC users complain about slow performance on their computers, but I am assuming you are talking about PCs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Just saw you WERE on Win8.1 so forget about the MAC question.

My gut is telling me that Captivate is either pausing to try and "call home" for some reason, or else your standard corporate SOE has something disabled or restricted that Captivate needs.

I have a similar config PC to yours (except that its on Win7 not 8) and it runs like a dream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I am responding I am working at my home office now and still getting the same response as I do in the training facility

I have tested again on both win 7 production machine and win 8.1 production machine at home completed different location and still both Captivate Responding ?.

I fired up Cap 8 on the win 7 box and got the same thing Captivate 8 not Responding - used to get it in training room but not the same frequency as Cap 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is not an issue that EVERYONE on Win7 or 8 has with either Captivate 8 or 9, it's still sounding to me like there must be something about your IT environment that would be causing this.

What does the Task Manager Performance tab show when these pauses are occurring.  Is the PC maxing out on CPU or RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again I am working on the production win 7 machine

Checked the cpu and mem - created a new blank project with default theme - tried changing the theme on the project to preinstalled theme captivate Sauve - cpu went to18 percent mem to 24% got Captivate 9 Not Responding

running nothing in the background other than Creative cloud and a few small helpers

was running off line - stand alone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw your comment about "call home"

does Captivate for any reason poll or ping a location of some file that installed when you install Captivate - is that what you are thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Captivate is capable of calling a number of URLs to verify things like your license status as well as to check on current versions of installed components such as Learning Interactions.

ON the thought of Themes and Learning Interactions.  These are stored in the Public User profile at:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets

Can you confirm that this location is definitely on your local hard drives and hasn't been for any reason virtualized somewhere else?

If the OS on these boxes is something that has been modified by your own company IT department to be more secure than the standard Win7 or Win8 OS, then my gut is telling me they've done something or disabled something that is currently tripping up Captivate.  Your issue is NOT something every Captivate user has (though I have heard SOME complain about it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thought but checked and the Themes are in the path you describe.

I'm pretty confident we have installed Captivate, Captivate elearning assets, voices etc. as per all requirements for local paths.etc.

The machines are Dell and HP with OEM Win installs which get updated by windows as necessary

My partner and I are the tech department and  we do not add any extra security etc, but rely on standard installs for both the OS and software like Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I've about offered all the tricks and tips I know for this issue.  My last laptop with Cp versions 5 through to 8 on it was a Win7 Dell Studio that worked fine.  My current laptop with Cp7, 8 and 9 on it is a HP ProBook with Win7 as well. Both of them worked perfectly.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help but I think you may need to get on a call with Adobe Support about this one.  Sadly though they tend to let us volunteer Forum users field most of the heavy lifting for support issues.  This is one time where I think they should be earning their wages, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your support on this issue. I think you are absolutely right. After 20 years of being an Adobe Training partner the support has really changed during that time.

I will contact Adobe directly and let you know their response if any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DB hba, did you get any resolution when you contacted Adobe directly? I'm having the same problem as you (on Windows 10) and have yet to find a solution. I'm curious if you ever resolved this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well after months of being frustrated by Captivate 9 Not Responding this issue is still unresolved.

Can the guy from Adobe who contacted me follow UP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All machines are connected via wi fi to router - turning off connection has no impact.

These are all new win 8.1 machines (six months old) with i5 chip sets running 10 gigs ram,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running windows? If so, what version?

Have you installed the latest Captivate hotfix?

Just to confirm some assumptions, please verify that you:

1. have installed Captivate to the default location on the local hard drive.
  2. are running the Captivate installation as an administrator.
  3. have created and saved a file on your local hard drive.

Have you verified the amount of space available on the boot drive?

If you're not running as administrator, the Cp installation may appear to 'hang' while loading or accessing preference files it can't write to. This also depends on your (accounts) security settings and the related permissions you have to files and folders.

Also, a less frequently seen issue is that your account name should not have a space in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this to the most frustrating thing about Captivate - I have noticed the regularity of Captivate Not Responding when using Version 8 and 9. As an instructor I am almost embarrassed each time it happens in class and can offer my students no solution to this problem. For example in my class of 6 today every person was regularly getting Captivate Not Responding when changing preferences, attempting to save or change a set up in the application

It really looks bad on the application and the fact that it is further exacerbated by the fact that I can find no support from Adobe to answer or resolve this problem.

I also have done all you have outlined in your post to no avail on all of my training machine setups. This happens on Win 7 and 8.1.

It generally leads to student comments such as perhaps we won't purchase Captivate to maybe the alternative is Storyline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I have exactly the same issue, on a laptop with similar specs plus a 500 Gb SSD drive on which this application is installed. Yet, staggeringly I get very slow responses from the application and frequent crashes.

The company I work for is a global leader in training, and this is just one of a range of eLearning software we use for clients. I have found Captivate 9 to be very buggy in pretty much every respect - xml translation format is weak and on a number of occasions we have been unable to reimport translated files, quiz questions have incredible lag times when editing layouts, publishing is erratic and often gives different results when publishing the same content...i could go on.

Captivate is no longer our first choice for certain types of development...the competition seems to have software that is much more stable and technical support where the support people are actually experts in the tool they are supporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues. I have checked all of the setting and they are correct.  Captivate freezes anytime I change a style or import a question pool. I spend more time restarting Captivate than working in Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Win or Mac? If on Win do you Run CP as Administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC and yes running as Admin and all files are local. I have been using Captivate since 3 and have never had it crash as much as 9 does. I am running 9.02.437

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you have tried resetting Preferences and Layouts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources