Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 - LMS completion issues and quiz preferences

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Having a nightmare.  I've developed a single course with multiple simulations.  However I don't need quiz slides or knowledge checks.

I've attempted to publish to an LMS under SCORM 1.2 settings.  The completion criteria I want is a percentage of slide views (e.g. 70%).

The course publishes and runs smoothly on our workplace LMS - however - after running through the entire project and closing our system is failing to register the course as 'Completed'. We get values of NOT EVALUATED instead.

I've attempted adjusting the completion criteria, even to the minimum of "USER ACCESS" but still no joy.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks in advance!!!

TOPICS
Advanced , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

If there's no quiz in the project I just usually set the Quiz > Settings to:

Status Representation = Incomplete - Passed/Failed

Success/Completion Criteria =  Slide Views (and set the percentage to something that is guaranteed the user will view)

Leave Quiz is Passed deselected (since there is no quiz.

Data to Report =  Percentage (which is actually a bit meaningless if there is no quiz)

In SCORM Cloud I always get the Completion and Success this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you have to find out if the issue is due to Captivate settings or to the LMS. Can you upload to SCORM Cloud? It is possible from within Captivate 9 (see Preview options). If it works well on SCORM Cloud, you are sure it is not due to Captivate settings.

Slide views can be tricky, not all slides are totally viewed which may lead to wrong interpretations. How did you choose that 70%? Do you have branching in the course?  A workaround that I am sometimes using is to add a scored button (or other interactive object) on the last slides that has to be visited at the end (can be solved with navigation), and add the Quiz Passed (100%) as extra criterion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for responding

I have been testing using the SCORM cloud preview after several failed attempts with our LMS.

The course is linear but contains a lot of simulations but no branching.  I've tried adding a scored button on one of our final slides (reporting - include in quiz)

But still no joy.

As I make my way through the SCORM preview I'm finding my interactions in the sims seem to be counting towards the course's scoreCAPTVATESNAP.png

Yes - the completion status is coming back as 'Completed' - it has in previous tests that still cased issues on our LMS - it's the satisfied status I believe is causing the issue and am at a loss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Advanced Interaction panel (F9) to see what the scored objects are. A not so well know, but so useful panel. That panel is linked dynamically to the Properties panel. You are not able to edit in the panel, but you can choose an object (like a scored click box) and it will be selected on the stage. You will have to take out all the scores for the objects in the simulations.

It looks like the course is 'suspended'. How are you leaving the course?

Can you show the Reporting settings in Quiz, Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks again - I'll check the advanced settings as advised!

I'm leaving the course by closing the course window once all slides have been completed.

SNAPQUIZ.pngSNAPQUIZ2.png

quiz SETTINGS ABOVE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success criteria is now only Pass Quiz, no longer slide views?

Some LMS's have issues with a maximum score of over 100 points, even though you require percentages (I see 385pts). I was not pointing to Advanced settings, just to a panel Advanced Interactions which will allow you to take out all scores, except the unique score for that end button which I recommended. Look at this screenshot:

AdvInter.png

You see that this panel shows you all scored objects. You will certainly see 385 points as Total score. But in this example none of the scores are set to 'Include in Quiz' which means they have not be added to the Quiz Total. If you want to take the approach with that unique scored button that has to be clicked and that can only be reached when all slides you want them to have visited have been done, you should see only one score being added to the Total (highlighted column).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I've started to experiment to see if I can get a completion outcome using only passing the quiz to see if I can narrow down the issue.

I've removed all scored objects from the report bar a single 'exit' button at the end of the course.

The course now has a max score of 100.  And seems to run smoothly but still getting 'suspended' upon exit and 'false' under the satisfied field during SCORM cloud testing.

Apprciate all your help so far - I've learned a lot but beginning to think there's something simple or fundamental I've made an error with to cause such havoc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you attach 100 points to that exit button, which is the only one to be included in the Total score? Did you upload that version to SCORM Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did indeed - is that wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not wrong, wouldn't have attach so many points (if the LMS is one that doesn't like to have a score over 100pts) because the amount is not important at all: you ask to report percentage.

To exclude possible corruption of the file, or possible mess up with quiz/score slide, could you create a short project, just having one scored button, and with the same Reporting settings to see if the result is as you expect? It is a way to check your settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there's no quiz in the project I just usually set the Quiz > Settings to:

Status Representation = Incomplete - Passed/Failed

Success/Completion Criteria =  Slide Views (and set the percentage to something that is guaranteed the user will view)

Leave Quiz is Passed deselected (since there is no quiz.

Data to Report =  Percentage (which is actually a bit meaningless if there is no quiz)

In SCORM Cloud I always get the Completion and Success this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, that was the setup at the start which didn't work: percentage slide views 70% never resulted in a Success.

For that reason I proposed to add one scored button. Maybe you have another idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know some LMSs won't give you completion unless you add a scored button but SCORM Cloud isn't one of them. You shouldn't need the button to get completion with SCORM Cloud.

If SCORM Cloud isn't marking the module as Completed when you have it set to 70% then that usually means the learner can reach the end of the module without visiting enough slides to tick off that 70% requirement.  That may mean that there are a bunch of slides they never have to visit which tip the scale below the required percentage.  (However, the original poster seems to indicate there is no branching in this module.)

A good way to test if not enough slides are being completed is to keep reducing the required percentage down until you DO get completion.  Try putting it at 25% or something and see what happens.  Another way is to download a free trial version of the TickTOC widget and set it to mark off ALL of the slides when you reach the final slide in the project to see if that means the LMS marks the module completed.

I see course developers getting hung up on the "Satisfied" status as if that equates to the same thing as Completion. It's not. Satisfaction metrics are related to Activity Objectives in SCORM.  Satisfaction metrics for the activity as a whole relate to the "primary objective".  If you don't have a quiz or scored components in your course that equate to some kind of objective, then your LMS may see nothing to mark as being satisfied.  If all you are really interested in is that the learner completed the module, your completion status is enough.

And like I stated above,  SCORM Cloud still usually marks a module as completed (despite not having a quiz) if you've set it up correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I followed a combination of your advice and now it seems to have resolved!

I changed the completion criteria from Incomplete ---> Complete to Incomplete ---> Pass/Fail.

I then included a scored button at the beginning of the course (the launch course button) to ensure an entry happened after clearing all other scored items from the course.

I changed completion criteria to a solid slide number (in this case 70 slide out of 130) rather than a %

Finally I removed the need to pass a quiz as completion criteria but set the scored actions pass mark at 50% and the data reported as a percentage.

Everything is coming back complete, true, normal and passed in SCORM so fingers crossed the SABA LMS at work is just as agreeable!

Many thanks both for your help - lifesavers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if scorm 2004, make sure the check the three checkboxes for completion.

Consider Content Attempt in "Suspended" state for completion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day

We are experiencing some reporting issues with our LMS systems, who use SCORM 1.2.

It basically boils down to this:

The newer versions of Captivate do not include a masterscore in the imsmanifest file, and so my SCORM files do not send the score to the LMS; the LMS does not display the pass mark or the user's quiz score, and one of our systems therefore does not supply the certificate once the user is done (our newer version does not have an issue supplying the certificate, but I do not have the technical knowledge as to why).

The LMS does seem to pick up whether the user has passed / failed the quiz, but does not report score.

The current workaround is manually adding the masterscore code into the imsmanifest file... for each project... each time there are changes too...

And our clients have to do the same for each course they create.

I have been informed that:

"This thing about the masteryscore has been long recognised as a somewhat ambiguous area in the SCORM 1.2 standard and the issues it caused was one of the reasons masteryscore did not make it into the SCORM 2004 standard when it replaced SCORM 1.2..... The usual fix suggested when you encounter an LMS that suffers with this problem is to change the settings to SCORM 2004 because this does not use or require masteryscore."

Does this mean our only solution is updating both our LMS systems to use SCORM 2004?

Or are there workarounds within Captivate itself which will fix this for both us and our client's making use of our LMS platforms?

I am going to see what implementing the settings discussed in your thread above will do, but would really appreciate it if you, the experts, can give me a solution, or otherwise an explanation I can then take to the technical people on our side, serving as a solid reason why we should update our systems.

Kind Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your LMS support SCORM 2004?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, both the systems use SCORM 1.2, hence my question whether our only solution is updating both our LMS systems to use SCORM 2004?

Or are there workarounds in the Captivate settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Technical guy says apparently 2004 is not widely used, and has its own issues?

So our preference would be to keep using 1.2, if there are adjustment in settings we can do within Captivate itself, or if there are minor adjustments we can make within our system perhaps to configure the score differently?

I was told by another company, along with the information I posted in my first post, that:

"The masteryscore is not mandated by the SCORM 1.2 standard.  The standard talks about it and says the IF you use it, then you have to make sure it matches with the Raw Score being reported by the course.  So, it’s just one way that SCORM can be configured, not the ONLY correct way.

The problem with SCORM 1.2 was that there were too many such ambiguities written into the standard and each LMS vendor is free to interpret the SCORM standard any way they like."

Is there a minor adjustment we can make to our LMS systems within 1.2, without adversely affecting the current courses already on there, as well as courses published by other software like Articulate?

The technical advice will be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You said in one of your earlier posts: "...Captivate do not include a masterscore in the imsmanifest file, and so my SCORM files do not send the score to the LMS; the LMS does not display the pass mark or the user's quiz score."

You are correct in stating that, while earlier Captivate versions included the masteryscore tag in the imsmanifest.xml file for SCORM 1.2 output, current versions do not. I know of no way to change the configuration of Captivate in order to force it to do so.

However, this does not mean that the SCORM files do not send the score to your LMS.  You can easily prove whether or not a score is indeed being sent from your module by simply uploading your current SCORM 1.2 package to the SCORM Cloud online LMS as a test.  (You can get a free account for SCORM Cloud to test modules up to a limit of 100 megabytes.)

If you could just try this easy test, I think you will find that SCORM Cloud is indeed capable of receiving a score from your course module, which then shows that the absense of a masteryscore tag in the manifest file does not mean absense of a score being sent to the LMS.  If SCORM Cloud is capable of receiving a score from your module then so should your LMS.  The issue here is that your LMS has been programmed NOT to accept a score unless it can see a masteryscore tag as well.  It won't accept one without the other.  It's the way the vendor has chosen to interpret the SCORM standard.

While no LMS integration standard is perfect, I know of no huge issues with SCORM 2004.  It is generally regarded as a big improvement on SCORM 1.2.  However, many LMS vendors have failed to implement SCORM 2004, not because it was inferior, but simply because it would cost money to build in the functionality, and most of their clients weren't demanding it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources