• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate advanced action or user variable?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to create a Text Entry Box that will 'refresh' on user submitting (hitting enter) for the duration of a video, but retaining the first entry variable,on a 2nd slide. ie user is to note timecode and type short comment, the users multiple inputs from the 1x TEB are to be stored on another slide. The possible number of comments are completely of users choice.  Would also like the comments to be assessed to potentially a 3-5sec window.ie if TEB entry started within 5secs of something happening onscreen. I have noted on other posts this is possible by having objects appear 'off-stage' and using 'if' statements. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adv - Tracy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a native English speaker which may be the reason to be confused by your question, and my need for clarification.

You are mentioning a 'video', but I suspect you do not mean a MP4 file nor output, but a normal interactive cptx project which will be published to HTML5. Is that correct? You cannot have a TEB which is an interactive object, in a passive video.

A TEB has one associated variable. If you want to keep multiple entries in a TEB, you'll need to store its content in another user variable with the action linked to the Success event of the TEB (triggered by the Enter key if it is set up that way).  Create as many user variables as you predict to be needed, and label them including a number. The command:

Assign v_1 with v_TEB      will do the trick

You also want to 'refresh' the TEB with the same action, which means probably that you can want to clear the entry? That is a bit more complicated. It can be done with JS or by re-entering the slide. Search this forum for the JS approach (I use CPExtra widget which allows that as well). For the 're-enter', have a look at:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/replay-or-reset-slide

Your reference to appearing off-stage is not clear to me? Do you want to have multiple TEBs and replace the first one by the following one using motion effects? 

Same confusion about what you call 'assessment to potentially a 3-5 second window, clear as mud to me. Sorry about that.

I hope you realize that input in a TEB is rather limited, not meant for storing sentences even if you use the TEB as non-scored. An alternative may be to use the Scrolling Text interaction, but you'll need to combine it with a button to enter the information. However such a 'button' can be invisible and have a shortcut key. Here is another link to a blog post:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/scrolling-text-interaction-to-replace-text-entry-box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your reply Lilybiri, 

I think I get what I need to do now regards updating the variable, and will follow the tutorial on scrolling text interaction, as that looks like it may be perfect for what i need, the example file I will followaccordingly.

Yes, the reference to a video is an MP4 playing. With a timecode stamp saved ontop, when exported from Premiere.

Easiest thing I can refer to is if you can imagine a drivers view of a car travelling along and the user has to quickly note/comment on all the hazards the driver should see. With timecode present, they note that down followed by 'school crossing', 'children', 'bus stop','traffic lights' etc etc  as a continuous commentary.

With regards to the shapes offscreen, this was to have it validate if a comment made within a set period of seeing something -ie they noted a hazard such as 'a bus moving of from a bus stop',whilst that occuring onscreen there is a shape present/visible offscreen- as a mechanism to rate if users comments were fast enough. That's to figure later on though, not essential initially.

Cheers,

Tracy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success! Let me know if you want more ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you mean by your explanation about the objects off screen? I may be able to offer you another blog link but am not sure to understand completely. It is about an action based on elapsed time? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your reply! Please bear with me, I have had to focus my attention elsewhere with changing priorities away from captivate! Yes, I understand from other posts it is not possible to use the timeline (on captivate, or the video timecode visible on screen(saved out when video exported from Premiere)) to 'score the user' when a user interacts whilst a video is playing. (ie - a car is approaching a hazard,and should slow down/stop) The user is expected to make a comment to say 'hazard - slow down' within a 5sec period, as opposed to continuing at the same speed and potentially causing an accident. 

So was taking another persons approach to have an object visible for a 5 sec window, which would score '1' if the user comments within this period, otherwise 'no score'. This will be similar type of interaction I hope to explore, at the next stage in this project! Steep learning curve for me Im afraid - when I only get small chunks of time to devote to captivate. Regards T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, possibilities and learning speed for Captivate are largely underestimated.  Only looking at some videos limited to showing one workflow for a defined use case will not really result in understanding its core, nor help to develop good practice. But it seems to be the standard nowadays...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources