• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate and Moodle....

Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see posts in the forum here regarding Captivate and Moodle - they appear to have the capability to co-exist.  Are there any issues to watch out for?

Thanks to all who have helped me with my latest round of issues!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

I have used Moodle with many of my clients over the past couple of decades and not really had too many issues with the system.  It's a very capable LMS that often outperforms other far more expensive systems.  

I have always used Captivate projects that contained the quiz components inside the CPTX file rather than using Moodle's own built-in tools to build assessment questions.  I think there are more options for using a larger variety of assessment types if you keep everything inside Captiva

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moodle is a Learning Management System (as is Blackboard, Prime....). Captivate has a special setting to report to Moodle in the Quiz Reporting section. I don't know what you want exactly with your question? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Moodle with many of my clients over the past couple of decades and not really had too many issues with the system.  It's a very capable LMS that often outperforms other far more expensive systems.  

I have always used Captivate projects that contained the quiz components inside the CPTX file rather than using Moodle's own built-in tools to build assessment questions.  I think there are more options for using a larger variety of assessment types if you keep everything inside Captivate.  For example, if you wanted to build a software simulation that tracked whether the learner was able to correctly replicate a task by clicking on objects then Captivate's default interactivity tools make this easy.  Moodle is more geared to assessments that are built around multiple choice slides etc.

The other reason I have always encouraged my own clients to just build everything inside the Captivate CPTX and then upload it as a SCORM 1.2 to Moodle or any other LMS they might have is that in my experience commercial organisations tend to get sick of their LMS after a given time and inevitably go looking for a better one.  So, it's not uncommon for them to be changing their LMS every 5-10 years.  If you have created all of your courseware as self-contained SCORM packages, then you can usually just take those same packages and upload them into the new LMS.  In some cases you might need to republish the SCORM from Captivate with a few tweaks to the settings. 

But if you have built your assessments with the LMS tools, then you will need to totally rebuild them again when you move to another LMS.  I have never yet seen one LMS offer an option to export their assessments in a format that can be easily uploaded and recreated in a competitor's LMS.  They (understandably) do NOT want to make it easy for you to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your input and insight.  The assessment questions are all of the multiple choice type.  They will most likely require edits and updates a few times a year.  So it sounds to me like keeping the client out of Captivate is probably the smarter way to go.  A contractor will update the Cp content and an admin will modify the questions.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe they are interested in knowing if there are any "gotchas" or idiosyncracies related to delivering Captivate SCORM packages via MOODLE. Strange, oddball stuff that perhaps they would need to tweak in order for them to work just right.

That sort of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, but it looked to me that the difference between a LMS and the authoring tools was not clear. Moreover Moodle exists in so many versions, depending on the invested money (starts with free version) and programming that it is rather difficult to give detailed answers about possible issues. One of my friends is a Moodle expert, but he is not on a Captivate forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You hit the hammer on the head Stagprime.  I'm especially curious if I can have a course developed in Captivate, then deployed via the Moodle LMS, where the LMS can serve as the environment for developing an assessment.  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most LMSs have some assessment possibilities, but why would you not use the assessment possbilities of tha authroing tool which has much more possibilities? As I wrote in my former comment, Moodle can be very different in possibilities depending on the amount of money and IT hours put into it, even more than with other LMSs. A LMS is meant to manage the learner accounts and to follow up their progress. What is possible to track of that learning progress can be very different?. I may not correctly understand what you mean by 'developing an assessment'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I have a whole other thread about the issues I am having with the Captivate Results screen, where originally there was an assessment, developed in Cp9, that I had to remove, and now, in v2017 the client wants to add an assessement back in.  I'm trying to get away from that can of worms, and it has been suggested that I could deploy the Captivate course itself in Moodle, and then use assessments in Moodle to keep the assessment out of Captivate.  Essentially, deploy a Captivate "Quiz" equivalent in Moodle due to all the problems that come with using a Captivate 9 Quiz Results screen for a graded Quiz in Captivate 2017.

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was an avid Moodle user back in my public school teaching days (like v2.5) and it seems like a fair idea to put all assessments in Moodle. Build some interactions and other content with Captivate without worrying if scores are coming through correctly.

I don't recall having too many issues back then but I have no idea what to expect now that version 4 is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever test the course in SCORM Cloud? Did you ever try to insert some quizzing system variables manually to see if the Quiz is really set up  correctly? You don't even know if it is reporting to a LMS or not, testing could have been done in SCORM Cloud if you don't have access to the Moodle LMS that will be used.

Personally I didn't like the assessment possibilities of our Blackboard LMS (which is widespread as well) and was much happier with the possibilities of quizzing and assessing in Captivate. Since you have the quiz slides, why do you not recreate those quiz slides in Captivate after having pasted the content slides in a new project in CP2017, using a CP2017 theme which has no messed up quizzing master slides. If you create the quiz with the Moodle tools, you'll have to set up the relation between the course (in Captivate) and the quiz (which is in Moodle) and that is an extra hurdle.

I feel personally insulte about your mentioning a 'can of worms'  because it is clearly due to lack of basic Captivate skills, but I will not bother you anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources