• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate timing

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to turn off slide duration under timing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? Can you explain what your goal is? Captivate output is a video, which can have pausing points but Time is an essential compoent of any video. 

Either there is a terminology problem, or you are totally new to Captivate? Please explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making an e-learning course. And yes new to captivate. Each slide is showing a duration of 3 seconds. I am aware that I can adjust the timing. But I would rather just turn it off so the student can as much time as they need to read through each slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shaunte,

You can think of a published Captivate project in terms of a continuous timeline from slide 1 to your end slide. Or as one video, as mentioned above by Lilybiri. You can 'slice' up the timeline into slides by adding a pause at the end of each slide, again, as Lilybiri has mentioned. This means that you can leave the 3 second default time as it is, but it will wait for user interaction before proceeding to the next slide.

I typically use an invisible button on a Master slide (this looks like a lot, but it's simple and quick):

1. Go to your Master Slide tab Window>Master Slide choose a master slide that your project is using, or the top one is the Parent master for all slides
  2. From the toolbar, select Shapes, then pick a circle or square
  3. Draw the shape on the master slide and resize so that it's small and place it in a corner that doesn't have any selectable objects like navigation buttons
  4. In Properties panel, select Use as button, then set the fill opacity to 0, and line Width to 0
  5. In Properties panel, click the Object state drop down and select and delete the Rollover and Down states by choosing each from the menu, then clicking the trash can icon next to the drop down box (as mentioned below, this step is optional and not recommended for new users)
  6. With the button selected, go to the Actions tab in Properties 
  7. Under Others, make sure Pause project until...is the only option selected.

Now when you publish, you'll see that each slide will pause and wait for user interaction.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to pause the slide at its end just like a PPT presentation? That clarifies the question. You did see along explanation already of a trick, which I have explained as well in this post (trick 1):

http://blog.lilybiri.com/easy-timeline-tweaks

Editing states on master slides is very limited. You can delete two of the InBuilt states, but you cannot add the Visited state nor any custom state. Moreover, editing states means that you are overriding the object style which can cause issues later.  The good message is that you don't need to delete those states, since you don't expect the learner to click that very tiny invisible button. The  option to show the Hand cursor is unchecked by default.

There are many ways to pause the slide, not only this workflow. It has one big advantage: the pausing will always occur at the last frame of each slide based on the master slide. I would put it on the Main master slide, and check if all the daughter master slides do inherit the Main Master slide objects. Sometimes the Title master slide in Captivate's included themes is not inheriting the Main master slide objects. This is only possible in a non-responsive project, because the Main master slide in Fluid Boxes projects is all but unusable. For a fluid boxes projects you will need to put the shape button on all master slides to be used.

Learn about pausing the Timeline:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/pausing-captivates-timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the deleting the Over and Down state is probably not a needed step, but it's habit for me since I never use them.

Not insulted, Lilybiri, but confused. Are we talking about two different things?

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you can delete them, but not create states. I always have an empty shape button ready as well with only the Normal state.  I would have avoided talking about the InBuilt states here because the way they are presented is totally different from  on another slide. Only the Delete option is present, not the other options to add the InBuilt state Visited or extra custom states. This is a total newbie... look at the other questions posted. When you delete those states, you also override the default Smart Shape style, but there is no way to save as another style at all. 

Sorry, my attitude is a trainer's attitude, do not feel to be an expert. In this case it was superfluous to add those extra steps to the workflow which could cause issues in the later learning career.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, not a needed series of steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources