Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change of State isn't working for one item

New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a screen in my project with three buttons. In the advanced actions, I've "Changing the state" of the selected button to "Selected" and the other two buttons as "Normal". When the first button on the screen is selected, it does not go back to Normal state even though it's in the advanced action for the other two buttons. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post a screenshot of the Advanced action(s)? 

There are two ways to reset a state to Normal:

• By using an actiono
  • By re-entering the slide, while the option 'Retain state....' is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks in advance for your help. Attached are the screen shots of the advanced actions, and of what happens when each button is clicked.Change of State isn't working for one item.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason it is impossible to zoom in on what you posted  just a black window pops up when using the maximizing button. Very difficult to check in the very small size. I can only guess at the actions (why do you not use the Preview version of the action, which you can open using the arrow button in the top right control panel):

PreviewButton.PNG

I see an Assign action, followed by 4 Change State actions, but there are only 3 buttons.

I see the difference: if the dark colored buttons are the 'active' state, something is indeed different for the first action because two buttons get the 'active state'.  I may be wrong of course. Can you show the Object state panel and a readable version of the advanced actions? Which image format do you use, so weird that zooming is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the guidance! I wasn't using the preview because I didn't know it existed. I am learning so much about Captivate. 🙂 I was able to figure out what is wrong and fixed it. There was an action (Untitled-3) that should not have been in use.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I suspected something like that caused the problem. Sorry that I couldn't see that due to the issue with the screenshot. If you want to learn more about the Advanced dialog box, here is a link to a detailed description:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. Thank you for your help. I have another question, if you don't mind. I have a slide set up with four buttons to show different states when clicked. There is one button, that you have to click twice to get it's information to show. I have double checked that "Double Click" is not checked, and it appears to be set up like the other buttons advance actions (I copy and rename to do my best to ensure consistency with advanced actiosn when needed). I've attached an image of the advance action Preview screen for the one with the issue. (Hopefully, you can read this one. :-))
Thank you in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click means mostly that you have more than one pausing point.  Can you  post the Timeline panel? You have a set up for forced view using variables. The navigation buttons appear when all the buttons have been clicked at least once. Are the pausing points for all the buttons at the same frame (including the navigation buttons)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your fast response! I was able to figure it out...or at least made it work. I changed the force navigation criteria from "Greater than or equal" to just "equals" and it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been proven wrong. It isn't working. I've attached an image of the screen's timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Fluid Boxes project. You haven't mentioned that before.

In the advanced action you used 'Greater than or equal to' which made indeed no sense since you are not incrementing the variable, just using Assign actions. But that could never explain the double clicking. I don't seen anything in the actions which could explain it. All buttons have the same pausing point. You don't really need a pausing point for the Next/Back buttons. However it doesn't matter if they are at the same time.

It happens with the safety button. Does the sequence of clicking the buttons matter, I mean does it happen anyway whether you click this button first or later?

I find it a bit strange that you are resetting the variables to 0 when you show the navigation buttons. Why? Such a reset action is expected On Enter for a slide (same for hiding the Next/Back button which I would have grouped), not in a button action.  It may not explain the problem, but is simply weird.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/replay-or-reset-slide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for digging into this! Yep...some things I do are weird because I am self taught, and this is the way my mind works. 🙂

I'm sorry. I was working on two posts at the same time and forgot to include that this is a responsive project, so using fluid boxes.

I changed it to just be "equal to" for the action - which I thought fixed it, but then I was told it is still having the same behavior.

Your comments always make me think things through differently. The issue was because I was resetting the counts, and setting the stages to "Normal" when everything equaled "1". I've removed those criteria as they shouldn't have been there. It now works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You made my day... I have always been a passionate teacher/coach and your sentence 'Your comments always make me think things through differently." sounds like music (I am also a musician) to me.

Please, if some answers helped you, can you mark them as being 'correct'?

BTW I also am self-taught but I use Captivate since about 15 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources