• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change the properties of an image

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm trying to resize an image in Captivate - in the user guide it says there should be a 'Display' dropdown but I can't find that anywhere in my Captivate programme. When I double click on the image I only get the resize option I can't see an image editing preview with "Crop the image, change the Image display, Responsive behavior, or Image focus, and view the behavior on the right." which it refers to in the User Guide. Can anyone advise what I'm missing?

Thanks, Emily

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emily, welcome to the forum.

Since a Captivate license covers at this moment two completely different applications, New Captivate (12.3) and Captivate Classic (11.8) it is very important to tell the complete version number. You find that number under Help, About Captivate on a Win system, or Captivate, About Captivate on a Mac system. I suspect you are on the New version, but not on which release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thanks for the welcome - of course, I forgot about the multiple Captivate applications - I'm currently using Version 12.1.0.16 in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first recommendation is to upgrade ASAP to version 12.3. That version has some changes for editing images and bit less bugs.

You need to know that resizing in this case is limited because you are working on a responsive project with pre-defined templates for three layouts. Sizes in px make no sense, and although I pleaded to have it, there are no rulers in % neither.  The Help documentation has a lot of  'typos' (trying to be polite) as well. It would help if you told on which page in the user manual you found about that Display dropdown reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily,

First, appreciate you in this forum, going back to my first attempts with Captivate Classic!

Question for 12.3: as far as image placement, I am guessing there is no way to move an image freely on the canvas any longer, it's all controlled by padding and alignment and very limited, do I have this right? Classic let you move many images around the canvas and it allowed for great design flexibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your appreciation, not everyone likes my comments.

Indeed, I am not a fan of the new version at all. There are multiple reasons, and one of them is the lack of control over the design. But even more the lack of reusability: no Library, no Advanced nor Shared acions, theme deprecation, localisation being made very hard (needs to be done for each project from scratch, whereas in Captivate Classic I could import a lot to each project).... That is linked with the focus on responsive projects, but none of my clients (companies) want responsive projects but have a lot of requests which cannot be done with the new version. They are not happy when I recommend to stay with version 11.5.5.553 because 11.8.2 is very buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes its an odd move on their part and I am deeply concerned with all the years we have been building complex Captivate presentations (which were intiated by the discontinuation of Flash) which will become obsolete once the Classic version is no longer supported in future OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I don't believe they ever will be able to reproduce all the features of Captivate Classic in this new framework, I did follow the evolution of XD during many years, and Adobe abandoned XD, it is EOL now. New Captivate uses the same framework and it always has felt limiting even when they would allow non-responsive projects. No customisation is allowed in the UI, no roundtripping with PS, An, AI, AU, no reusability as I already mentioned. None of the complicated problems I have solved for my clients could ever be reproduced. Goal was that the client could just enter some parameters for the interactions, didn't need to know how to set up the programming with shared actions. Some of those solutions have been used for years due to the availability of external libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on my to-do list to upgrade but need to request that with our IT Security team to get approval.

I'm not sure if I can find the page number, as I'm working from the online version here: Adding an image to your Adobe Captivate project but below is a screenshot of the page I was looking at to help with the image resizing and where my question about the Visual Properties / Image Display was triggered.

emilym23456764_0-1712742789043.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More specifically, I don't see these options in my current version of Captivate:

emilym23456764_0-1712742913760.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last screenshot is typical for version 12.3, you will not see it before you upgrade. Problem is that I have already upgraded, and don't remember how it looked before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah okay, thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources