• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change the "rollover" and "down" state of Default Quiz buttons

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,  I'm working with Captivate '19 and wanted to replace the default quiz buttons with image buttons but I can't find where to edit the alternate states (rollover/down).  I'm currently making the edits in the master slide.  I looked in the object style manager and couldn't find a way to edit the states there either.  I gave up and switched back to normal transparent buttons, but those have a rollover state too (boring gray color).  Can someone point me to where I can edit rollover/down states to the default quiz buttons?  Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent version of Captivate is 11.5. You are either on that version or on version 11.0 which are both under CP2019. Labeling system is very confusing, but it also means that I don't know which version you use. Both are rather different, 11.5 adding a lot of features.

The problem is with your choice of button.  There are 6 button types in 11.5 and 4 in 11.0. Three of those are old type of buttons and the less flexible is the image button. On Quiz slides you can only use the old type of buttons, I am aware of that. To create an image button you need a graphics application. You need to create 3 images with the same name, one for each of the 3 InBuilt states which are included in Object styles: Normal, Rollover, Down. The name of those graphics needs to follow the rule: ending on _up, _over and _down. Have a look at the Gallery\Buttons to see some examples:

ImageButtons.PNG

If you point to one of those files in the Object Style Manager, Captivate will automatically find the other two related files and show a Rollover and Down state.

Very long and cumbersome process, moreover you need to repeat that process for each of the Quiz buttons, because it is impossible to add a label (Submit, Skip, ...), you need 3 different graphics for each button.

Finally some good news: keep to the Transparent button, which is default in most Themes included with Captivate. You probably know that Styles are a component of the Theme. A Transparent button which is also old type, has been refurbished to replicate all the style possibilities of the newer Shape button. This includes the possibility to change the Fill to Image and to edit the Rollover and Down states in Captivate directly. Do not forget to set it as Default style for Quiz buttons, and you are able to add a label if necessary. Save the Theme as custom theme when you are ready to be able to reuse it in future projects.

More info about buttons in this blog, written for version 11.5:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/overvew-6-button-types

This type of question appears once in a while. Will try to write out a short blog, makes it easier to give more details and avoids that I have to rewrite this type of recommendations. As a trainer and former professor I can guess the origin. First there is the word 'Image button' which seems to suggest that you need that type if you want an image as button. Secondly: it is not always very clear that old workflows can be replaced by newer more efficient ones from all the information launched around each new release. Often more is published about brand new features, and finding good practice, improved workflows not always floats to the surface.

Sorry for that last comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that was a lot to unpack.  Thank you for the detailed response.  For the record I'm working with version 11.5.1.

So it sounds like I need to relabel the quiz buttons I created.  I have all the buttons and all their states as separate .png files already, so I just need to add their "states" via the labeling nomenclature (_up, _down, _over). Then replace the default image via the Objecet Style Manager, correct?

I wish that made that process more clear.  Thank you for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since that button type should have been deprecated since a while, do not expect to get a better explanation. I tried to give that message, to use the Transparent button with the images as fill in the three states, but apparently I failed completely. You insist on using those old image buttons.

You need to set the button as default button style in the Quiz category. Look at the Image buttons in the Gallery, some of them have multiple underscores. That is not the problem. The three image files need to be in the same folder. Beware of not using names which already exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  After a little trial and error I was able to get everything set up properly and now have it working as expected.

The reason I'm using image buttons is that my buttons are a custom shape and use iconography to match the CI of the rest of the content. Manually creating each state is annoying, but not difficult or too time consuming.  But now you have me curious on converting everything to transparents.  You seem pretty emphatic that image buttons are not the way to go. This line from your blog stood out to me the most:

• Whatever the shape of the image, the clickable area remains the surrounding bounding box.

Maybe I'll give that a shot today.  Thanks again for your response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. The only button which allows to limit the clickable area to the image itself is the SVG used as button. However that new button type cannot be used on quiz slides, hence my suggestion for using the transparent button which doesn't need to create three images, which can be created in Captivate and to which you can add a label, thus avoiding having to create three images for each of the quiz buttons. I think those advantages are important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - I tried your suggestion and it's still not working correctly.  The normal (_up) state of the button is correct, but the rollover state is incorrect.  Does it matter that I already have an underscore in the button label (but_Submit_up.png / but_Submit_down.png / but_Submit_over)???

I'm changing the buttons on the quiz master slide.  I'm changing the button style on the properties menu on the right, browsing to image directory via the yellow folder icon, selecting the _up state PNG file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources