Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Click all links before continue button will appear Captivate 19

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning, Evening, and Night.

I was recently tasked by my organization to create a module in Adobe Captivate that forces the user to click through 5 different links on one page before a "Continue" button will appear for them to advance. I have been following a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhASnzcNCQ) and I am getting stumped in the advanced actions portion when I got to see my Increments the script will not save. I know this video is older but so far it's the only one I can find that is geared towards my goal of making sure all links are clicked before the 'Continue' button appears. The main difference between my project and Paul's is that I'm using hyperlink'd text and not buttons although I have tried making buttons and still nothing is working when I try to save my increments. I'll post a screen shot of what happens when I save one and then click the else tab and come back. Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.58.11 PM.png

I am using Captivate 2019 for Mac version 11.8.0.710.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows that you didn't complete the Increment command, you didn't choose a variable to increment. Maybe you could explore the features of the advanced actions dialog box in this blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

The only limitation with a hyperlink is that you cannot use a Shared action, which is a shame. I largely prefer shared actions because they are a lot more flexible. Moreover: did you consider the situation where that slide is revisited? Do you want to keep the requirement to click all the links in that case before being able to proceed? Not very user friendly.

My approach is explained in this blog. However you can easily replace the shared action by duplicate advanced actions. Being able to create the variables by importing another shared action remains. 

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-and-tricks-advanced-to-shared-action-intermediate

Too bad, the recording of the session in which I presented the workflow is no longer available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, I should have stated better that I did choose an increment and it would show that I did increase it by 1 after I saved but if when I went to the "Else" section and came back it would look like that as if it wasn't truly saving. My thoughts were that the user could click a section as many times as needed to review the material but they still have to look at all 5 sections before they could advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure to understand what you mean. Did you get a green checkmark in the THEN part for the increment line before switching to the ELSE part? If yes, this looks like a corruption in the advanced action which is mostly due to a duplicate use of the same name for two items. Since you are using hyperlinks, not buttons, it cannot be the label of the hyperlink. But did you use the same name for the action as for the variables? That typically causes a problem for Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I got the green checkmark first and then it disappeared. There must be some corrupt files in this project. Even after remaking the slide with buttons I'm unable to delete the previous Advanced Actions, even after I checked their usage to confirm there wasn't any slides using it, they still won't delete and now after filling out a new script I get the error of "script is incomplete" I think I'm going to redo the project now and start with buttons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be corruption in the project, but did you check the naming of objects, variables, actions? The mentioned 'symptoms' point more and more to that possibility. Believe me, I have over 15 years of experience with Captivate's advanced actions. 

No need to redo from scratch, but please set up a solid labeling system, do not improvise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the help a ton, I've only been working on this program since November of last year so everything is new to me. I did have everything labeled well enough I thought but ran into too many problems trying to clear old adavnaced actions so I just redid it for now. I really do appreciate your time and help. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Is it working now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, I must have double labeled something. When I went back I made sure everything was labeled properly and there were no overlaps. I went really slowly and noted all my labels as I went so nothing would be confused. Again I appreciate your help a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Patrick, I thought I would take a stab at what you are trying to do. Here is an updated video using your situation as an example.

https://youtu.be/dzqcgSr_4ew 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

Wow thank you so much for taking time to create this video, it's exactly what I needed to see in order to complete the project as intended. I had no idea I needed two tabs in the Advanced Actions.  I can't wait to put this to use. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources