Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Count Down Timer

Contributor ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivaters !... 🙂

I'm working on Mental Maths Test and I need a Count Down Timer on the slides...

My project is based on the usual Captivate questions slides (to randomize the questions) and I have 4 questions pools.

I managed successfully to limit the time of the questions to 5 seconds with the options...

But as I don't really like the Captivate widgets Timer, I try to add a small animated gif, conting down from 5 to 0...

As I tested it on preview html5, it works perfectly on my default browser which is Mozilla Firefox.

But yesterday, as I tried to share the project with the community, I realized that there was a problem... The animated gif doesn't behave properly on the project I shared. So I tested it with Chrome and with Edge and I realized again that there was a problem...

This morning I try to change the configuration of this animated gif and realize that Captivate, in fact, changed the Gif in a "swf" output... Pffffff... Too bad !...

count_down_01.png

And also Captivate treated it not as an image but as "I don't know what" as the link provided doesn't correspond with the emplacement of the gif in my desktop... Pffffffff again... !!!...( As I can't update it if I want to change the colors, for example, of the original one...)

So my question is : is there a simple way to add a simple count down timer on these slides ?

Thanks in advance !...

😉

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I believe there isnt a simple way to do this. Hopefully the next version of captivate might solve this.

You might be able to take a swf timer and then output it to html5  via using a flash decompiler and then produce a htmp5 version using adobe animate. 

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again !... 🙂

I finally managed to do what I wanted !...

I deleted the animated gif... of course !...

1./ I created a smartshape (CD) with 6 states... 5,4,3,2,1 and 0 for the count down...

2./ I added this smartshape on the first slide and in the duration panel marked it for the rest of project so it appears on all slides...

3./ I created an advanced action (named "Count_Down") :

=> Modify the shape of CD to normal

=> Delay the next action from 1 second

=> Modify the shape of CD to shape 1

=> Delay the next action from 1 second

=> Modify the shape of CD to shape 5

4./ And finally I added this advanced action on enter of all my questions slides !...

And that's it !!...

See it here in action :

http://soutien67.fr/math/activites/calcul_mental/CM_N1_Q2/index.html

Happy Captivating !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may work as long as the time need to be approximately 5 seconds, because it will be much more with that advanced action. There is a lag already IN the Delay command which will add to the time. Check it with a chronometer.

Sorry, but stopped giving away all my Captivate knowledge, this is just a warning about your solution. You will at least have to reduce the 1 second. Same problem with the timer interaction (the old timing widget was accurate), there is a delay at the start and at the end. Sorry to spoil your enthusiasm, at least I am sure you will not insult me.

Expected JS experts to offer a solution, and they probably will.  The real problem is that the timer count you cwant is too small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fortunately, this will be far from enough for my purpose !... Even if it's not exactly 5 seconds, I'm quite happy with the result... far better from my first solution (with the animated gif) which obvuously didn't work at all as expected !...

But thanks again for the details you provided regarding this solution...

Happy Captivating !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources