• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Countdown Timer Widget and Hiding it on second slide visit , but need to lock it down

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, first post here and I am a newbie Captivate developer working on my first project.  I have an issue that I need some help with. 

Utilizing the timer widget to countdown and force the amount of time the user needs to spend on each slide:

1.  My client wanted to control the minimum amount of time that the user spends on each slide so I have a timer widget on each slide that has it’s duration set (ranging from 5 seconds to 60 seconds).  User cannot go forward until they spend that duration on each slide.

1. RIGHT/FORWARD Arrow to continue to next slide appears as the countdown timer widget disappears (this happens at .2 seconds before the end of the slide duration).  There is a pause set at .2 on the Right arrow. 

1. Left/BACK Arrow is always “active”
    1. Issue 1 – (SOLVED) if user goes back 1 slide, the user needs to sit through the timer count down again.  I add a variable and an advanced action to mark the slide as visited which will hide the timer widget and show the RIGHT/FORWARD arrow.

1. Issue 2 - (NEED SOLUTION) If user goes back and then forward they wouldn’t have to “wait” for the timer to count down.  I need to account for them going back and then forward quick and they would get around the time they have to spend on each slide. 

I have to implement this on almost 400 “slides” over 8 modules that are already mostly done.  I need to backtrack and implement and my deadline is next week.  Looking for a solution to handle the back/forth/timer issue and the easier to implement.  It looks like any sort of Master slide setup is out. Should I be doing a frame count check and making sure they can't go ahead until they spend the duration in the timer widget, but I am not sure I can interact wiht the widget in that way to update it's duration.  Seems like all this would be possible with JS.  Any help is appreciated.

Mike

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What determines the time on the timer from 5 - 60 seconds? Is it the length of the slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, David, time has to be entered in the Properties dialog box of the Timer interaction. I would not use that timer, but the timing system variables and a shared action. I presume that you would use JS/

Problem with the interaction is that it could work fine for longer times, but  for seconds it is not at all correct: it takes about 1sec before it starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources