Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cpinfoCurrentLocaleDateString cutting off last 2 digits

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi People

Can anyone help with this, I don't appear to be able to find the problem myself.

I'm using Captivate 9 with a MBP

Many thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to how the date looks when the variable is inserted into a text caption, the issue may simply be that you need to allow a longer character maximum length when inserting the variable.

The default is 50 characters now, but perhaps you need to set it to 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately not as you've noted, simply because I'm just using the system variable 'cpinfoCurrentLocaleDateString' so even with December being a rather long word it won't reach the 50 character limit because it should read '31 December 2015' but it reads '31 December 201'

I've used the cut and paste from another project that displays it properly but when pasted it reads with exactly the same problem.

Any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using same font and text container?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

No I changed the font using the same container... after your post I simply cut and pasted; unfortunately with the same result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks

Just to add, I've just changed the font and reduced it quite dramatically and of course did the obvious of stretching out the text container with no result either.

I'm not very good with variables, is there another way of getting the same result of 31 December 2015 for example... or can you good people come up with a solution using the system variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks

A final workaround I've found is to place a number 6 after the final dollar sign.  OK for the whole of next year I suppose but still not an ideal trade-off...LOL!!!

Any other suggestions please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your original post you say: "I'm using Captivate 9 with a MBP"

What's an MBP?

I cannot seem to replicate your issue with this System Variable on Cp9 in Windows 7.

Did you try my suggestion of inserting the variable again and making sure the maximum characters was set to be more than enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MBP = Macbook Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone that contributed.  MBP was (as already noted) MacBookPro.  I don't know what the final answer was but it has now worked out all OK and have now been able to remove the extra 6.

A great discussion and help community.

Have a great 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rod,

I am "late to the game" but I seem to have the same problem with Adobe 9 (64) on a Lenovo Window 7 (64) laptop when using $$cpInfoLocaleDateString$$. From all the entries I gather, I could just add the "6" for "2016" but I would rather know how to solve the problem.

Can you please help? THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot replicate your issue in Cp9's latest version.  Perhaps you need to update?

localeDateSTring.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt reply. Do you think it might have something to do with the language as I am using the German version of Adobe Captivate 9? The software is up-to-date. I just checked again.2016-05-24_cp9_screenshot.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it is possibly due to some difference in the language version.

Nonetheless I think you should log a bug with Adobe about this behaviour. It should not happen.

As to a workaround, you may simply need to assemble your date the old fashioned way using the other system variables that make up the components.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate/template/02-dynamic-date-functions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, THANK YOU for replying so fast. For now I will just add the "6" after $$ and hope the bug will be fixed before 2020. 😉 And before then I have to find out how to let Adobe know. And of course I will have a look at the page you linked to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am having this issue. In another course it was only cutting off the last digit of the year. However, I tried re-creating in a blank course and it cuts off even more. My Captivate is clearly bugged. It is not me, I swear, I am copying and pasting the variable, the double dollar signs are wrapped and Captivate is up-to-date. I will definitely be logging an issue with Captivate support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrapping a variable name with double dollar signs does not give you any chance to configure how many characters are displayed when the variable's value is shown.  The default number is only 50 characters.  For best results you should insert the variable into the text container using the button provided in the Properties tab.  That will show a dialog box that then allows you to not only specify the variable to be displayed but also how many characters should be allowed.

I think you will find that if you insert the variable this way and set the number of characters to something more generous (e.g. 100) then it will not be cut off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivaters !...

I had the same issue :

Date_01.png

But  I found a solution !...

1./ Create a variable : v_Date

2./ On the enter slide action :

Assign

v_Date

with

cpInfoCurrentLocaleDateString

And that's it !!..

(Post edited after Lieve's correction !)

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm Ludovic, did you mean ASSIGN instead of Affect?

For other users: the advantage of the mentioned system variable is that the date will be presented in the format you have set up in your OS. When you change that setup, the result will be different. More information about all system variables in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oups ! you're right !... (as usual !...)

Assign (english) = Affect (french)

I think the "cpInfoCurrentLocaleDateString" is limited to 15 digits ???... That is the source of our problem...

And my solution works perfectly !...

Thx Lieve to correct me !...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just inserted such a variable, and it needed and showed 26 characters without a problem. Not sure if it is an issue, but transferring a system variable to a user variable is a workflow which I have used a lot in many tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources