• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create button to reset quiz

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Captivate 9, is there a way to create a button that emulates what the Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Results slide does? That is, it resets all the quiz questions to unanswered and allows the user to take the quiz again. In my project I wish to hide the Quiz Results slide but still have a way for the user to retake the quiz.

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

If it is an HTML5 project, create an advanced action, execute this JavaScript, cp.resetQuizData(); then execute an action to jump to the first quiz slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know a workaround, but can you explain why you want to hide the Quiz results slide? You can customize it as much as you want, you need to keep the Continue button but can make it 'invisible' by changing the look and label of that button. All fields with scoe results can be unchecked in Quiz Preferences, you can add static objects etc. This workaround is not an 'emulation' but maybe it will do the trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create branching based on pass/fail and number of attempts. Clicking Continue on the Results slide allows the user to end the course without having passed the quiz. Maybe hiding the Continue button based on conditions will work. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not hiding, make it invisible (delete the label, choose a completely transparent button). As David (TLCMediaDesign) mentioned; his perfect answer will not work for SWF output probably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct Lieve, will not work with SWF. I really don't even try to find the alternatives for SWF anymore. The HTML5 seems to be working better and better, and the reusable scripts are a big time saver. I noticed that the output has gotten a little smaller also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is an HTML5 project, create an advanced action, execute this JavaScript, cp.resetQuizData(); then execute an action to jump to the first quiz slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked beautifully, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I discovered another alternative to this problem this week.

I had to make it impossible for the users to click on the Continue button on the Quiz Results slide until they had passed the assessment.

What I ended up doing is placing the Retake Quiz button ON TOP of the Continue button so that it completely covered both the Review Quiz and Continue buttons.  If the Continue button is at the top of the stacking order, simply turn on the Align toolbar in the Windows menu, select the Retake Quiz button and bring it to the top.

So now all the learner can click on until they pass the quiz is the Retake Quiz button.  Once they pass, then the Retake Quiz button no longer appears and they can choose to either Review Quiz or hit Continue to submit their score to the LMS.

Seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rod, I used this approach as well in the past. But this user didn't want a Results slide. David's work flow is pretty easy, too bad it is only for HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!
This is a pretty old post - but I am running into an issue with this javascript code here. I have a course with 5 modules within one scorm slide. Each module has a little quiz on the end that "unlocks" the next module if passed. I used lilibrys great tutorial here (http://blog.lilybiri.com/intermediate-score-slides-in-2020) to set the intermediate scoreslides up. Yesterday I created a "retake quiz" button following your javacode here - and the funny thing is - if applied only on the first intermediate score slide, it works fine. However I duplicated the intermediate score slide now and put it in each module at the end - of course properly renaming the variables and editing the advanced actions as necessary.

When I click (in html5 preview mode) now on the "retake Quiz" button, it takes me back to the first question slide as expected, but the answeres given before are still there and I can't make any changes (being the learner of course)... Where is my thinking mistake?

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not completely clear to me. Both the "cp.resetQuizData(); " and the Retake button will reset all quiz answers. AFAIK it is not possible to reset only part of the questions. But you seem not to have reset any questions. Do you have intinite attempts on Quiz level? You could debug by displaying the system variable cpQuizInfoAttempts on all slides (set it on first slide and show for rest of project). Is that variable increasing when you click your custom Retake button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lilybiri!
Thank you for your answer! To make things clearer (sorry) - the retake quiz button is a manually created one triggering the advanced action with the javascript code mentioned in this thread. Is this structure of mine so unique that it creates so many issues, or am I just doing it all wrong in the structure (modul1 - quiz1, modul2 - quiz2, ...etc)? Resetting part of the quiz would be perfect, but I think I can do with resetting all quizzes too...

And you are right, nothing is being reset, not in any of the 5 quizzes when I click on the (manually created) retake quiz button.

I tried your debugging and the counter of the quizInfoAttempts stays at 1 no matter how often I click on (manually created) retake quiz button.

I use the same two advanced actions in all question slides within one module (see Quiz_Modul1_Correct Screenshots).

For the (manually created) retake quiz button I also screenshotted my advanced actions (see Quiz_RetakeModul1).

I am wondering if dividing up the 5 modules and combining them with the scorm combining program would be better??

Thank you very much!

best

- Reinhard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-checked, the JS will reset answers for me but the system variable cpQuizInfoAttempts will not be updated. 

You didn't answer my question about the attempts on Quiz level, which needs to be higher than 1 both for the Retake button and the custom button with JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you are right, I thought I answered this one too. 

So, the custom button with JS does not reset the answers, but the retake button built into the quiz results slide does.

Same goes with the cpQuizInfoAttempts - the js won't register a new attempt, the retake quiz button does...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh... I found my mistake... Sorry for the trouble - I have no clue about JS and so I copy pasted "JavaScript, cp.resetQuizData();" into the JS script screen instead of only "cp.resetQuizData();"!

No it works similar to what you described in your system - the QuizInfoAttemps are not updated, but the Answers are.

So I only will need to create one advanced action for the last module (since the learners will have to pass each quiz to continue in my structure) to assign cpQuizInfoPassFail with 1, to send the "passed all quizzes" info to the LMS, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course I am not a native English speaker, but is it so difficult to answer my questions: 'Do you have multiple attempts on Quiz levelo?'. Why cannot you use the Retake button on the Socre slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources