• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom .exe Icons in Captivate 4

Enthusiast ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying the option of using a custom .exe icon in Captivate 4. I'm publishing as an .exe. I've tried a couple of .ico files, but when I click Publish, I get an error that says "Icon file is incorrect, proper icon may not be generated. Do you want to continue?" What is a proper icon? Have any of you successfully assigned a custom icon to your published executables?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009
.Ico file should have 10 images of the following types for compatibility. Else exe may show original Captivate icons when viewed in Windows Explorer.
· 256x256, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 48x48, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 48x48, 8-bit color, uncompressed
· 48x48, 4-bit color, uncompressed
· 32x32, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 32x32, 8-bit color, uncompressed
· 32x32, 4-bit color, uncompressed
· 16x16, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 16x16, 8-bit color, uncompressed
· 16x16, 4-bit colo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Mister C. - Say hi to Pinky Tuscadero and the Fonz for me!

I recall asking a similar thing of the development team during the beta. Dang, I can't for the life of me find the message I received about the format. I do recall their saying something about a specific icon format as I tried some ICO files and they all failed to work on my end.

Perhaps submit a Bug Report on it and maybe they will get back with a suggestion.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

If they do, please update this thread so we all may benefit.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.Ico file should have 10 images of the following types for compatibility. Else exe may show original Captivate icons when viewed in Windows Explorer.
· 256x256, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 48x48, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 48x48, 8-bit color, uncompressed
· 48x48, 4-bit color, uncompressed
· 32x32, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 32x32, 8-bit color, uncompressed
· 32x32, 4-bit color, uncompressed
· 16x16, 32-bit color, uncompressed
· 16x16, 8-bit color, uncompressed
· 16x16, 4-bit color, uncompressed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Saurabh. Are you saying the icon file has to be one of these types, or do I need to have 10 images of the various sizes and color depths for each icon?

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes a single icon file with these 10 different icons is required work perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried it and it works.

Since I don't know how to do this in Photoshop, I had to find a program to create an icon file with 10 different images. I found a freeware program called IcoFX.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem.  I used this IcoFX program and everything seemed to work fine, but I still received the same error message in Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2009 Aug 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The right ico-file for import icons should containts UNCOMPRESSED image!

Be carefully, when you making the ico-file. Usually this option changing in program properties.

But even after that Captivate import just one 256x256 32-bit icon in exe-file, without 48x48x32-bit, 32x32x32-bit, 16x16x32-bit icons.

As a result, using 256-colors picture.

My opinion, that it's program bug. Shame to Adobe developers.

I solve this problem this way:

1. Make a right (uncompressed image) ico-file by IcoFX.

2. Replace icons in result exe-file by icons from ico-file. Using Axialis IconWorkshop.

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2010 Sep 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add my bit. I found the IcoFx progrm working fine using the Resource Editor from the Tools menu you can easily change the icon.

Even if you use the highest colour settings (true colour) when designing.

Regards

Charl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps I used with IconFX to create an icon file that contains all 10 versions of the image that Captivate requires. (See post by Saurabh_MinniMar 11, 2009, for the list). My steps are based on the ones given in the IconFX tutorial at http://icofx.ro/tutorials/tutorial1.html.

1) Create the first image as 256x256, 32-bit color.

2) Choose the "Icon/Create Windows Icon From Image..." menu item

3) In the dialog that pops up, make sure the following boxes are checked and all others are cleared:

XP Colors   16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 256x256

256 Colors  16x16, 32x32, 48x48

16 Colors    16x16, 32x32, 48x48

(Note: IconFX default does not pre-select the 16 colors 48x48 box, but the other 9 you need should all be pre-selected as soon as the dialog window opens).

4) Also, clear "Options/Preferences/Options/Compress 256x256 images for Windows Vista"

Happy iconing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CHANGE THE ICON USING MICROANGELO.  I AM SET UP FOR VISTA.  WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES?  I KEEP GETTING CORRUPT FILE (CANNOT READ, $ INTEGER- ERRORS. CAN ANYONE HELP!  THE CUSTOM ICON THAT I CREATED SHOWS UP BLURRY IN VISTA. THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using one of those sizes still get the same error. how do you insert one icon in all those 10 different sizes? this answer is not clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a thread from 2009??? I don't think you are still using Captivate 4, since we are at version 11.5.

Please start a new thread and explain what you want to do. Do not forget to mention the exact version number (as mentioned under Help, About Captivate) and the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources