• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Demo creation with multiple takes

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to Captivate (2019) and am wanting to create software training as a narrated screen capture. I only seem to be able to do a single recording. If I make a mistake, I have to redo everything and start over. Am I missing something? I have been using the Video Demo project.

I am used to another product which allowed me to record, pause, re-record a section if necessary, come back the next day and add more... Is this possibel?

Thnaks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate allows for different types of recording. 

I usually choose 'Automatic  >   Mode: Training' so when the recoring is done, it appears as slides in Captivate.

I delete the slides where I went wrong, the mouse cursor automatically compensates for deleted slides

I change the styles of the captions to automatically format them all and edit their content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Eric Dumas  OP is talking about Video Demo, not about a Software simulation.

It is possible to capture a Video Demo as a sequence of video clips.  This is the way I am using it, but you can also use this approach when having to record a 'faulty' part:

• Divide your project in logical small chunks.
  • Capture your first Video Demo, where you'll choose the resolution of the project etc..
  • After finishing that first clip, I will edit it.
  • When the first clip is ready, put the playhead in the Video Demo editor at the end of the first clip.
  • Use the menu Insert, Video Recording and continue to add a new clip to your first clip.  You can use this in your case, to replace a buggy part, but make sure to trim first the wrong part, and to leave enough space for the new recording.  You can always trim excessive parts later on.

Of course this will be separate clips, where you can have transitions between the clips, or insert static objects in between. But it is a lot better than having to record everything again.

This example was created with the described workflow. I converted it into an interactive video, the clips were created with those 'stops', which are the overlay slides, in mind.

Play/Pause button

The alternative, a software simulation in Demo mode, may be easier to manage because of its slide-based approach. However there are several disadvantages if you want to publish this as a video:

1. Quality is lower
  2. You do have very limited editing functionality, compared with the dedicated Editor for Video Demo
  3. You'll probably get some Full Motion Recording slides, which are SWF-based. They will normally be converted to MP4 but that is not always resulting perfectly. Many users have mentioned problems with those slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources