Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display slide duration inside the slide

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I want to show the slide durion time inside the slide like any text captions or shapes. It was shown bottom of the menu part. How to display inside the slide. Is it possible to show the slide duration in captivate 8.

Slide-duration.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

They are fairly easy to get in HTML5 and SWF with a widget.

The following code inserted in the Head section of the HTML5 index.html will count down the Slide Length and reset with each slide. It populates a user variable myTime in a text caption.

var interfaceObj;
var eventEmitterObj;

window.addEventListener("moduleReadyEvent", function(evt)
{
interfaceObj = evt.Data;
eventEmitterObj = interfaceObj.getEventEmitter();
    initializeEventListeners();
});

function initializeEventListeners()
{
if ( interface

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no system variables that have values about total project duration, nor individual slide duration, which makes this not as easy as it seems. It is a pity that those variables are not accessible by the developer, since they clearly exist, showing up in the Table of Contents.

Project duration can be calculated from the system variables cpInfoFrameCount and cpInfoFPS. But have not such an easy workflow for the slide duration.  The time spent on a slide will normally be very different from the slide duration, I don't think it is that important for the learner, but that is my opinion of course.

I can offer you only work flows like described in this (old) blog post:

Display Time information - Captivate blog

Meanwhile I have upgraded the post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/display-time-cp2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are fairly easy to get in HTML5 and SWF with a widget.

The following code inserted in the Head section of the HTML5 index.html will count down the Slide Length and reset with each slide. It populates a user variable myTime in a text caption.

var interfaceObj;
var eventEmitterObj;

window.addEventListener("moduleReadyEvent", function(evt)
{
interfaceObj = evt.Data;
eventEmitterObj = interfaceObj.getEventEmitter();
    initializeEventListeners();
});

function initializeEventListeners()
{
if ( interfaceObj )
{
     if ( eventEmitterObj )
  {
         eventEmitterObj.addEventListener("CPAPI_SLIDEENTER",function(e){  
   setPage();
            });
  }
}
}

function setPage()

gSlide = cp.model.data.project_main.slides;
res = gSlide.split(",");
cSlide = res[window.cpInfoCurrentSlide - 1];
csTo = eval('cp.model.data.'+cSlide+'.to');
csFrom = eval('cp.model.data.'+cSlide+'.from');
csTotal =  csTo - csFrom;
sf = window.cpInfoCurrentFrame;

window.cpAPIEventEmitter.addEventListener("CPAPI_VARIABLEVALUECHANGED",function(){
   runTimer(csTotal, sf, csTo);},"cpInfoCurrentFrame");
}

function runTimer(st, sf, ef)

thisTime = Math.round((st - (window.cpInfoCurrentFrame - sf) - 1) / 30);
mm = Math.floor(thisTime % 3600 / 60);
ss = Math.floor(thisTime % 3600 % 60);
newTime = ((mm > 0 ? (mm < 10 ? "0" : "") + mm + ":" : "00:") + (ss < 10 ? "0" : "") + ss);

window.myTime = String(newTime);

if ( mm == 0 && ss < 1 )
{
  window.cpAPIEventEmitter.removeEventListener("CPAPI_VARIABLEVALUECHANGED",function(){
}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working fine thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TLCMediaDesign,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TLCMediaDesign, How to add this code in Captivate file? I created variable "myTime" and put it in text caption. I added the above script - On Enter - Advanced script - Execute Javascript and in script window with current. Added this script in first slide and apply to all slides. But unable to view slide duration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably a bit late, but you need to add it to the index.html file in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2019 x64\HTML" (or whatever the path on your computer is). Make a copy first though before editing it just in case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic! I am glad I found this. I have been able to make a small modification to create some custom slide controls for which I need to know the slide duration. I am working through it and slowly learning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This was VERY helpful! I had figured out a way to hack the info out of the CPM.js script and throw it to some custom scripts I was adding to index.html, but I didn't want to have to edit the CPM file every time.

Here's a modification I have made: instead of displaying the time as numbers, I've created a progress bar graphic for the current slide and modified your script to scale the graphic as the time elapses. Note how I'm referencing the graphic: When published, a graphic inserted in Captivate with an ID of "slProg" becomes a canvas element which I'm referencing with jquery like this: $('canvas[id^=slProg]')[0];

(Tested in IE11 and Chrome)

gSlide = cp.model.data.project_main.slides;

res = gSlide.split(",");

cSlide = res[window.cpInfoCurrentSlide - 1];

csTo = eval('cp.model.data.'+cSlide+'.to');

csFrom = eval('cp.model.data.'+cSlide+'.from');

csTotal =  csTo - csFrom;

sf = window.cpInfoCurrentFrame;

slideDur = csTotal*30;

window.cpAPIEventEmitter.addEventListener("CPAPI_VARIABLEVALUECHANGED",function() {

}

function runTimer(st, sf, ef) { 

thisTime = Math.round((st - (window.cpInfoCurrentFrame - sf) - 1)*30);

currentTime=slideDur-thisTime;

var slideProg = currentTime/slideDur;

var slProg = $('canvas[id^=slProg]')[0];

slProg.style.transformOrigin = '0% 0%';

slProg.style.webkitTransformOrigin = '0% 0%';

slProg.style.transform = 'scale('+slideProg+', 1)';

slProg.style.webkitTransform = 'scale('+slideProg+', 1)';

if ( thisTime < 1 ) {

window.cpAPIEventEmitter.removeEventListener("CPAPI_VARIABLEVALUECHANGED",function(){

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun little update: now I have also added a clickable hotspot over my custom progress bar so you can jump around the slide's timeline. Just add this code to the above onEnter script:

/******click to jump timeline*******/

var btn_timeline = $('div[id^=btn_timeline]')[0];

$(btn_timeline).unbind('click');//prevents multiple instances of the click event building up

$(btn_timeline).click(

function(evt) {

var x = (evt.pageX - $(btn_timeline).offset().left);//i.e. where on the hotspot did you click

var clkPcnt = x/$(this).width();//convert that to a percentage

var jt=sf+Math.round((csTotal*clkPcnt)); //add percentage of duration to start frame

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume",jt);

}

)

And add the hot spot; a transparent button with an ID of "btn_timeline". Position it over the progress bar with the same width. I added an advanced action to mine that resets play and pause button visibility, but otherwise most of its actions are handled by the script.

And note, I'm only publishing HTML5 output, so I have no idea if this does anything in swf output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a great modification. However, for some reason when I replace the relevant part of the code provided by @TLCMediaDesign the project will not preview. I noticed a missing } at the end so added that. The first slide shows but won't play. I am not sure why so I hope someone can enlighten me!

I would like to build a scrub bar for individual slides, and I think this thread may well have the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources