• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded video not playing on publish, but plays on preview.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there-  I have two embedded external videos (mp4) in a file I'm working in.  When I use  Preview next 5 slides or Preview Project the video plays like I want it to.  When I publish the file (HTML5/SWF) and view the file after publish, the videos don't work.  Any ideas about where to start my troubleshooting? 

The video is set to Auto Play. And I have it set to pause the slide till end of video.  When I view it after publish, the blank slide shows for 5 seconds and then moves onto the following slide instead of showing the video. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. By the way, I'm using Captivate 2017. 

Amy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Videos are sometimes blocked when you try to play the content locally due to browser security or Flash Global Security settings.

Try uploading the published content to an LMS or web server and test from there.  You may find that there is really no issue with your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videos are sometimes blocked when you try to play the content locally due to browser security or Flash Global Security settings.

Try uploading the published content to an LMS or web server and test from there.  You may find that there is really no issue with your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I actually ended up publishing it only HTML5 and once it was in our LMS the videos worked.  That's good to know.  It will save me a bunch of time troubleshooting if I just load it to the LMS and see that it works.

I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m having the same issue can see the videos on preview but not on on the published version. I a video intro and outro insterted on the first and last slide respectively, and when I publish to MP4 they I just see the loading icon on a blank screen and the audio and video starting on the next slide for the intro and just blank on the outro. I'm running the latest version of Captivate 2910 (11.8..0.586). If anyone has a solution or can point out a user error, I would be very greatful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem. I tried uploading to YouTube to see if it worked there - but no dice. 

have you found any other information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try just exporting to MP4 from Captivate to a folder on your hard drive and then import to YouTube AFTER publishing.  Trying to publish to YouTube directly from Captivate might not be working do to a permissions issue.  If you are able to log into your YouTube channel with sufficient permission to publish an MP4 there then any Captivate MP4 should be able to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - but I already tried that. 

I created a series of slides in Captivate 2019.
The intro screen has an MP4 video embedded on it.

When I preview it - the embedded video plays.
When I publish it to HTML5 - the embedded video plays.
When I publish it to MP4, the video is replaced with the Adobe spinning "loading" icon. Note that I even tried uploading it to YouTube in case that fixed the problem - no dice, still the spinny loady thing instead of my video. I tried both from Captivate and directly from YouTube. I still get the spinning icon instead of the video playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  You had not previously mentioned that you had a video at the beginning of the project.

I would suggest you remove that video and do a quick test to export the project again without it to MP4 and see if it then works as expected.  If so, my suggestion is to add your entrance video AFTER you have published the rest of the project out to MP4.  (You cannot do this in Captivate.)  There must be some issue with the entrance video that is causing the failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already did that. 😃

The course exports everything BUT that one video beautifully. The entire video plays fine - it's just that one video that is replaced with the spinny bit. 

As a note, I just tested ANOTHER video and it works fine also. 

The video in question originally came from - this is awesome - Adobe Stock. It was an .MOV file that I converted to MP4. I have tried converting it using Captivate, using Media Encoder 2022, AND using VLC. I've also tried compressing the video down to 720 and to 480p. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it is not clear, the splash screen with the video on it has a title and some other shapes and such. EVERYTHING on that screen exports to video EXCEPT the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood.   As I said before.  Sounds like the video is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to chime back in so late. However, I have tried this with a bunch of different mp4 videos with no success. I remember having this issue in previous versions of Captivate (I have been using it since before Adobe even bought it) but since I have been away from the program since 2016, I don't remember what the fix is. So, it had worked somewhere in the past with some sort of fix. One would think by now that this bug would be history.

Please take this for what it is worth, but one shouldn't have to output the computer simulation into an mp4 on its own, bring it into Camtasia or Adobe Premeiere and edit the mp4 videos back in and re output. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a demo video, please Video Demo, do not create a cptx file to publish to mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's also important to note here that the failure / error exists entirely within the Adobe ecosystem. 
The original .MOV file is from Adobe Stock.
I converted that video from .MOV to .MP4 using Captivate, Premirere, and Media Encoder.
I loaded the video (with tests for each converter's output) into a Captivate project via all three possible methods - onto the stage (as both a single slide and as one that plays across slides) and as an event. 

In all cases the video played in all preview methods and in HTML 5 and .EXE publishing outputs, but failed in the MP4 publishing output. I tried uploading the videos to YouTube (from Captivate and from my YouTube account) and they didn't work there either (a test to confirm that settings on my local machine weren't simply preventing the embedded video from displaying). 

If Adobe's own stock videos can't be reliably used in Adobe's products using Adobe's tools, that seems to be a point of concern. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a User Forum.  If nobody here has a quick answer for you, and you definitely feel Adobe should be doing something about the issue, then feel free to log the issue with Adobe Support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am facing the exact issue with captivate - latest version. The inserted/embedded video (mp4) is not playing while publishing it into mp4 output. Just a loading icon is displayed. Is there any solution to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

per Lilybiri's comment, Videos to MP4 should come from a CPVC project, and only static-type slides in a cptx to publish to MP4 - don't mix MP4 files into a CPTX project to create an MP4 (ok for HTML5).

A workaround a colleague discovered for being able to put videos together in Captivate to create an MP4:

1. Create a very short Video Demo project (I just record a completely blank desktop)

2. Place the timeline cursor where you want your first MP4 file.

3. Use the Insert > PIP video.

4. Repeat for subsequent MP4 files.

5. What you can do directly to the PIP videos is limited, however, you can add a few important features, like text boxes, highlights, etc., and you can do some trimming, splitting or masking.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

More info about Video Demo in:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/video-demo-tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue and changed my mp4 to an FLV and rendered it and it worked. I was able to add the intro and outro videos to the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious on how you changed to an FLV?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, FLV videos are based on SWF technology and since Flash Player has been banned from all browsers you shouldn't use that format anymore. It had a lot of advantages over MP4 (smaller file size, support for Alpha channel) but too bad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources