• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: File name or extension too long after Windows 8 update

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I operate Captivate 7 on Windows 8. Recently Win8 auto updated some features over the night. Ever since then, whenever I try to publish my captivate course files, I get an error saying it can't publish them because the file name or extension are too long. The update added yet another layer of folders to sift through, so I thought that was the problem. I changed the default publish location to my desktop, but I am still getting the same error. See attached screen shot.

Any help on this one? I need to get these published and off to a customer asap.

Thanks,

Arthur

side note: after giving me this error and clicking ok, it does go on to publish the course. The big question, then, is what is this error telling me and why is it popping up? I can't afford to have some internal issue cause the course not to play for my customers.

name or extension too long.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Sorry - toomany windows open.

Try this link!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1341091

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this thread which has the work-around for your issue.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5883995#5883995

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, cammerayguy, but that link brings up an old post of yours about "AICC html5 module no longer runs - blank screen." Am I missing something in there that applies to my issue?

Thanks,

Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - toomany windows open.

Try this link!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1341091

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, cammerayguy, your link was extremely helpful. I tried again to save to the C drive in order to create a shorter path, but that still did not work. In the end, turning off the "retain slide quality settings" and setting the slider to "high" in the SWF Size and Quality section of the project preferences, was the key.

Now, why that is, is a whole other issue. It doesn't make sense to me how this effect is even remotely connected to the filename/extension error I was getting when trying to publish to html5. Very strange. I'd love to hear from Adobe on this as it seems there are a few out there who are affected by this after a Windows and/or Captivate update. I'm not sure which caused it since they both happened around the same time.

But thank you for your help!

Best,

Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

You can try recreating the preferences location for Captivate Preferences folder is:

Windows 8: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData (hidden folder)\Local\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 7 folder  

You will have to close the Captivate 7 first and then rename the Captivate 7 folder to Captivate 7_OLD.

PS: Recreating the preferences will reset all customizations, workspace and settings.

Thanks

Himanshu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long path tool can be helpful on this situation. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble saving a document that has been saved, but I have updated the name and added just 2 or 3 chareters to the name.  My computer is using Windows 11, but I have had the issue in Windows 10 also.  It dosen't matter if I change the name of the folder path it is going to, I have to change the acual name of the file to get it to save.  This is the message I am getting.  Very frustrating.  Any help is greatly appricatied.

Screenshot 2022-03-18 075450.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please, don't add to a thread dated 2013.  Start a new thread, explain the problem and mention the exact version of Captivate you are using as can be found under Help, About Captivate (full version number). I suspect you are no longer using Win8 neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources