Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export closed captions fails in Captivate 2019

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm having a problem exporting Closed Caption text to Word - and it looks like another user posted about this September 2020. Doesn't look like she got a definitive reply.

When I Export Project Captions and Closed Captions, the Word document is showing up empty. If I remove the Closed Captioned slides adn only have Project Captions, the export works fine. So the issue appears to be coming from the CCs.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any special characters included in the Slide Note lines that you are currently trying to use as Closed Captions?

Special characters would be things like chevrons < >, curly braces {}, etc?  These, and others, can sometimes cause issues.

Another question I would have is whether or not any of the text found in the Closed Captions was cut and pasted into Captivate directly from another application that allows text formatting, eg Microsoft Word.  Sometimes the pasted text contains hidden formatting characters that can cause issues as well.  Always pasting text into Captivate from a plain text editor (e.g. Notepad) is the recommended method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

To answer your question, I did initially pasted text that might have been formatted.

I then started a new project and inserted a video and then the closed captions correctly. Unfortunately I came up with the same result - a blank Word doc.

Can you think of anything else I might try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RodWard,

I've a similar problem of matthewg63378799.

When I try to export the Closed Caption text to Word, I get an error message (in attachment).

I've created a new file from scatch, I've insertes audio and I've typed some text for CC directly into slide audio in the Closed Captioning tab, but ...same problem.

Then I've tried from another Mac, when I've exported Closed Caption the Word document was empty.

(I work with Apple Big Sur 11.6, Captivate 2019 and Office 365)

Can you help me to solve this problem?

Thank you

Silvia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent you a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I get the same error.

Can you please let me know how you solved this?

Thank you!

Andreea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that your message was directed to Rod, but you may bump onto an incompatibility between the versions of Captivate and Word.  Is it possible for you to export to XML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. In the meanwhile, I’ve tried several times and it
worked (it took approx. 30 min to load).

Thanks again,
Andreea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has always been a tricky workflow. Sometimes it works when you keep Word open, sometimes you need to close it. Insisting is always needed, wonder when localisation will be considered more important by Adobe. Be sure not to change the name of the Word, nor the Captivate file if you want to translate and re-import the doc file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

I have a similar problem, have you solved it somehow?

Thank you,

Silvia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources